Balance Shaft Oil Leak

OP
OP
southern9
Bike
2010 ST1300
When the idle work was being done, they were in constant contact with Honda. Had they ever done this before? Unlikely that they ever saw an ST before. But, they kept me informed and updated as to what they were doing.
I feel like I'm getting bashed for taking my bike to the dealer for warranty work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Think of it more as a buyer beware warning rather than bashing.
In your own words, "unlikely that they ever saw an ST before" is very true, which means they could do more damage than good if they don't know what they are doing.
No good deed goes unpunished.
You pay your dollar, you take your chance.
I'm sorry if you felt like any/all of my comments were intended as bashing you.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
southern9 said:
I feel like I'm getting bashed for taking my bike to the dealer for warranty work.
It's regrettable you feel that way but I too saw the comments as purely advisory and in the buyer beware category. There are some extremely skill members here who are very likely far more experience than the average Honda mechanic who sees an ST. It's not wild speculation that the work you described is unrelated to the problem that needed solving.

There are also some sad horror stories about dealerships where the work paid for either wasn't done or done poorly and had to be cleaned up with a return visit or by the owner.

Sure you want the problem fixed and since it's under warranty why not take it to the dealer. That's what warranties are for. But it looks like there's some shady bobo going on. Right now that dealer seems to have got Honda to pay for it. For now. Just sayin' caveat emptor.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, sorry if my comments were taken as directed at you. I was speaking about the dealer, not you personally, but sorry.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
There is a lot of experience here and we've seen dealerships take a long road to fixing things WE know are common little fixes most of the time. So, we do get a little cocky about it, sorry, it wasn't meant to bash you, it's more about dealerships that should know more about the bike. Tough to blame them as well since some have never, and may never, work an ST in their entire career. But, they have to do something to help a customer. They contact Honda and that's a good thing but Honda basically goes by their book and not so much the gathering of knowledge we have here.

The nice part of this bike is there are only so many issues it will/should ever have and we've seen most of them so we can help if you're mechanically inclined or we can even provide suggestions you can take with you when you go to the dealer for service.

OP
OP
southern9
Bike
2010 ST1300
I do appreciate all the feedback. I'm not as mechanically inclined as I would like, nor do I know anyone capable of doing the work. I do know if it's not done right they will make it right. The dealer is my only solution. And the work is paid for.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I do appreciate all the feedback. I'm not as mechanically inclined as I would like, nor do I know anyone capable of doing the work. I do know if it's not done right they will make it right. The dealer is my only solution. And the work is paid for.

That logic works for me. One thing to remember, never say "I read in a forum" .. they typically put up a brick wall.. it's better to say "I have a friend with an ST in California and he had a similar issue"

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
That logic works for me. One thing to remember, never say "I read in a forum" .. they typically put up a brick wall.. it's better to say "I have a friend with an ST in California and he had a similar issue"
You pointing a finger at me? :well1:
:d1:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
You pointing a finger at me? :well1:
:d1:
Not at all, just saying dealerships sometimes tend to not want to listen to you if they think the advice is coming from a 'forum' whereas if they think it's coming from a friend w/ST. You can insert any City or State for CA... lol

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I know, I just always wanted to use the delete button thing....made me feel powerful :rofl1:

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I looked at the RAN list and only saw one member in the entire state? Is that possible?
Do we have any members who live there, or close by, that maybe could ride over and take a peek at his bike and help him out?
Common folks, lets try and help if we can.
Igofar

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I looked at the RAN list and only saw one member in the entire state? Is that possible?
Do we have any members who live there, or close by, that maybe could ride over and take a peek at his bike and help him out?
Common folks, lets try and help if we can.
Igofar
Isn't the bike at the dealership? If so, they aren't likely to let anyone mess with it.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
When the idle work was being done, they were in constant contact with Honda. Had they ever done this before? Unlikely that they ever saw an ST before. But, they kept me informed and updated as to what they were doing.

You're not getting bashed. There's some speculation about their diagnostic prowess.

Last edited:
Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
Short semi-related story: I bought a new Chrysler Concorde auto in '99. After about 12k miles (less than 1 year) it developed a small water leak; just a few drips on the ground after parking for a while.
No problem, it was still under warranty!
The dealer confirmed it was the water pump seal, and would be covered, but that it was a serious job- Pull the front bumper, radiator, timing belt, and bunch of other stuff that was pretty invasive (the engine wasn't mounted sideways). There was no way I wanted to tear apart my car that still had body paint on all the nuts and bolts, so I passed.
The leak never really got worse at the end of the warranty, so just added a bit of coolant once in a while.
Finally, at 100,000 mi and many years older, I had the timing belt and water pump replaced... Fixed!

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
That is easy....:call: hello, I've decided to pick my bike up, please don't let anyone work on it :tools1:
Mellow, are their any members in his area that could help him that you know of?

OP
OP
southern9
Bike
2010 ST1300
So I went to the dealer to do a little check up. (You guys got me all anxious and stuff. ;-) The service manager says "I tried to call yesterday, your all done. ". They didn't have to pull motor, only 1.5 hours labor. Says it was the balance shaft orings. Gonna pick it up this afternoon and see what's up.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
So I went to the dealer to do a little check up. (You guys got me all anxious and stuff. ;-) The service manager says "I tried to call yesterday, your all done. ". They didn't have to pull motor, only 1.5 hours labor. Says it was the balance shaft orings. Gonna pick it up this afternoon and see what's up.

Good, that is the first time I've ever seen anyone with that issue... hopefully, they caught it correctly and you're good to go. Please give us an update after you get it back.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Get online and look up RonAyers.com
Go to the parts diagram, enter motorcycle, honda, year, model, etc.
Then click on the box that says balance shaft.
You'll see the two O-rings just behind the adjustment elbow, which is held on by (1) bolt. (remove the engine :rofl1:)
I tried to call you, call me back when you have a second.
I can tell you how to clean the area, prep it to see if its fixed, and keep an eye on it. I bet after you run a tank full of gas through it, your issue may return.
Igofar

Top Bottom