Balance Shaft Oil Leak

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
So I went to the dealer to do a little check up. (You guys got me all anxious and stuff. ;-) The service manager says "I tried to call yesterday, your all done. ". They didn't have to pull motor, only 1.5 hours labor. Says it was the balance shaft orings. Gonna pick it up this afternoon and see what's up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1.5 hours labor....lets see, remove two push rivets on front lower center cowl, remove two JIS screws on front lower cowl, lift it out and place it to the side. Take 10 mm long panel box end wrench and remove one bolt on each adjustment arm, lift arm off, drink coffee, talk to other mechanics, text your girlfriend, drink coffee, remove o-rings. Walk around parts department and find O-rings, use cell phone again, drink more coffee, Snap-on truck drives up, break time....45 minutes pass...Now where were we? Oh yeah, install o-ring(s), replace adjustment arms, tighten two fasteners, replace lower center cowl, replace two screws, replace two clips = 1.5 hours labor for 10 minutes of work :rofl1:

Last edited:
Bike
07 ST1300
Guys this is not the first balance shaft to be reported leaking oil.
It's the second.
Or so. Definitely not a common issue.
Weather dealers like it or not, this is the "GO TO" place for repair advice on ST's in the entire world. If they were more open minded they would look here for advise ona bike they usually know nothing about.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
The dealership made a mistake, the first thing they are told to blame is not the balance shaft o-rings, its the water pump :rofl1:
Which is why Mother Honda replaced hundreds of them before they figured out it was loose clamps (though they won't admit it) and even changed the service manual from ANY leaks you must replace the water pump, to A SMALL AMOUNT of leaking is normal.
Heck, they even added a fitting with a hose to hide the seeping under the motor where the owner would not see it as much :radleak:

Top Bottom