Looking to move stock pegs down and forward a bit

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
MCL lowering brackets...
Ok there are actually TWO types of MCL lowering brackets. Are you talking about the adjustable version or the fixed version?

Bmacleod said:
Still looking for a set of goldwing pegs.
If you're talking about the fixed version of MCL brackets you'll probably find that GW pegs do about the exact same thing— lower the pegs 1" and move your feet outward about .75". They don't move them forward that I've noticed.

Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
My 04 ST13 came with the MCL fixed lowering brackets. Took some getting used to as they didn't use the spring on the brackets, so they'd fold up at irritating times. If I brushed the peg while lifting my foot at take-off, the peg would fold up, and I'd have to diddle with that a bit to get the peg to drop so I could get my foot on it. Seems an unnecessary distraction. Having said that, they did help with knee/hip discomfort. On my 03 I think I'll try the GW pegs first. Since all I do is commuting at the moment, I don't see the needs for cruising pegs.

Bike
2005 st1300
Sorry, I was speaking of the fixed ones. Half the problem for me is that moving the pegs outward, besides bringing them closer to the ground in a corner, is that it moves my foot away from the shifter and after adjusting the shifter for the new peg position, it actually moves in toward the bike, making shifting awkward (for me anyway). If I was insistent on using these lowering blocks, I would modify the shifter to make the toe piece longer so I wouldnt have to "dig" my toe in to find it. Also, scraping the pegs is no issue, but with the lowering blocks, my toes automatically start pointing down for some reason. Having my toe kick off the peg, mid-corner is a bit unnerving. Again, just my experiences and I realize others may be different.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I have the blocks that allow the peg to fold as normal. I can tell you if you want to scrap the pegs you can, and most likely will. I scrapped the pegs without them installed and I scrap the pegs with them installed. I also scrap the pegs on my 919 and pretty much any other bike I've been comfortable on... pegs and knees should touch down or you might as well be riding a trike or can-am... ;)

Okay, that might be a stretch or leap but seriously, touching the pegs to the ground or more correctly the acorn nut or feelers must have happened to anyone who has been riding frequently... or am I the only one that uses the tire tread from side to side... that's rhetorical, I know all you guys are leaning as much or more than I am so I don't know why we are talking about touching pegs to the ground.

Put a wanted post up, get some (the ones that fold as the stock pegs do), put them on, ride and enjoy.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Wahrsuul said:
If I brushed the peg while lifting my foot at take-off, the peg would fold up, and I'd have to diddle with that a bit to get the peg to drop so I could get my foot on it.
Ok THAT could get really annoying. Do those pegs not use the springs or were they just not used by the PO?

Bmacleod said:
is that it moves my foot away from the shifter
The GW pegs move your feet out slightly and I assume the brackets would add to that. That might put my feet out more than I'd like.

As far as touching ground with them if that happens I'm not riding right or I'm riding too fast. I don't need to grind anything to have a good time.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
My 04 ST13 came with the MCL fixed lowering brackets. Took some getting used to as they didn't use the spring on the brackets, so they'd fold up at irritating times. If I brushed the peg while lifting my foot at take-off, the peg would fold up, and I'd have to diddle with that a bit to get the peg to drop so I could get my foot on it. Seems an unnecessary distraction. Having said that, they did help with knee/hip discomfort. On my 03 I think I'll try the GW pegs first. Since all I do is commuting at the moment, I don't see the needs for cruising pegs.
Safe bet the PO did not put the stock springs back in like he should have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Wheels of Fire

Frank Wells
Hutsonville, IL 20 minutes from Moonshine (as the
Bike
05 ST1300
Pegs or grips? Reads like you meant foot pegs.

Forward— not that I know of. Down— GoldWing foot pegs are a bolt on and will drop the position down 1". Motor Cycle Larry's (MCL) non-adjustable foot peg brackets are supposed to lower the pegs about an inch I think.

I don't know if anybody has used them both (together). I have GW pegs and the help a little. My hips don't get cramped as quickly. Not an aggressive rider by any definition I've never scraped them. The rear brake lever doesn't feel any different. The the gear shift lever does feel a little high and could be lowered a notch but I just haven't got around to it. I have no idea if it could be adjusted to work with the peg and bracket combo.

Whether or not any of that works is an individual thing. Some people go back to the ST pegs. The adjustable pegs did cause a clearance issue for one member.
I don't recommend using MCL blocks and GW pegs together. They droop a bit and severely limit cornering clearance. I've got GW pegs on now, but switch to MCL blocks sometimes if I'm going to be on a long interstate trip.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom