Clutch slippage on "New to Me" bike with 71,000

PhotoDoctor

Tampa Mike
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100/ST1300/Norton
I'm into only my 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] tank of gas on my “new to me†2001 ST1100 with 71k miles and notice the clutch slipped a couple of times when I did a hard “roll on†while in 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] gear – later I tried to repeat the slippage and no more slippage.

Odd but not too concerned about it as there are other task to attend too.

So far I've changed the oil and rear end grease, both tires, and cleaned and replaced seals in all calipers along with new brake pads.

Any thoughts on the non-repeatable clutch slippage that went away?

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
I have that occasional issue on my 07. It has probably done it five or six times in the 20,000 miles that I have put on her. So I'm not too concerned, but curious as to who it may be.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
+1 to make sure you don't put "car" oil in the bike! First thing I'd do is change it out if you don't know the history of the oil.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Mine has done it too, but never slipping in 3rd. For me it's been right off the line and more a growling sound. Maybe once or twice a year. Pull it in a second time and release and all is fine.

I need to take it apart and have a look.. some day/weekend when I have nothing else to do.

Bike
1998 ST1100
I don't believe it is the oil, as the problem comes and goes. I suggest changing the clutch hydraulic oil. If that don't do it, the next suggestion would be to take apart the slave and master cylinder to clean them. There are some small orifices than can be clogged, or partially clogged.

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
+1 on not being the oil. I only used original Honda oil and still occurred now and again.
The clutch oil is interesting. I need to replace fluids on the bike anyway, she's due for service. I'll give it a shot.

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
Just realized this thread was regarding the 1100, I have a1300. I'll shut up now :-(

OP
OP
PhotoDoctor

PhotoDoctor

Tampa Mike
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100/ST1300/Norton
Thanks to all who chipped in here and with this information I won't be concerned about it and move on to other other areas that could use some attention.

craigstys

STOC #8621 Now on my 2nd ST1100
Bike
1999 ST1100X
STOC #
Happened twice on my old ST1100. Engine warm. Bag it in 3rd under load, such as getting on the freeway. Right around 5 grand, zing. Both times for me the clutch plates were worn out. Nice to look at hydraulics, however. Now I'll have you blasting the bike around to recreate it. Sorry.

OP
OP
PhotoDoctor

PhotoDoctor

Tampa Mike
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100/ST1300/Norton
Craigstys - in your case it was time to replace the clutch plates vs. the odd occasional Anomaly.

OP
OP
PhotoDoctor

PhotoDoctor

Tampa Mike
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100/ST1300/Norton
So long as it's not slipping I think I'll hold off a bit and do the clutch and timing belt at the same time.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Don't open the clutch plates and make sure the place you pick them up from has a low restocking fee.
Check the tolerances on the clutch springs and existing plates.
I've read that the plates were in spec and the springs were found to be under spec. New springs (you did buy them at the same time right?) fixed the issues...

Good luck!

OP
OP
PhotoDoctor

PhotoDoctor

Tampa Mike
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100/ST1300/Norton
Ok, was out on the ST1100 again today and was able to make the clutch slip anytime I tried so it sounds like sooner rather than later on fixing this item as I don't want to be hundreds of miles from home when It gives up. I'll switch to riding one of my other bikes on longer trips till this is sorted. (Although, the st1100 would be the prefered road trip bike in my stable)

Any tips or thoughts on clutch kits? Honda OEM vs. aftermarket and I did see "Mark's" post above about the springs so will be looking for plates and springs.

I've not dug into the book on the procedure yet but do have the factory book - are there any good threads or post here on the ST1100 clutch rebuild for some good reading?

Thanks

OP
OP
PhotoDoctor

PhotoDoctor

Tampa Mike
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100/ST1300/Norton
Hibobb suggested cleaning the master and slave - well I cleaned the master (but not the slave) and poked a wire in the return hole and flushed the system with new dot 4 and the issue may be solved. I went for a 30 mile ride after dark and could not make the clutch slip again - I'll try again in the heat of the day to be sure it's cured.

OP
OP
PhotoDoctor

PhotoDoctor

Tampa Mike
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100/ST1300/Norton
More than 1500 miles later and the clutch is fine. The problem was as Hibobb suggested - a partly blocked return in the clutch master cylinder.

OP
OP
PhotoDoctor

PhotoDoctor

Tampa Mike
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100/ST1300/Norton
As a follow up to this old thread - I changed the fluid in the master at the time of this original thread and had no further issues.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Only because this happened to me on a brand new 1300 and left me stranded after having ridden it for only 7 miles ....

Check the brass bush in the clutch lever. It has a hole into which the plunger for the clutch master cylinder fits. If it doesn't fit in the hole, then the clutch will always be pressed in slightly and it starts to slip as the engine warms up.

You can't see the hole when you replace the clutch lever - so a tip is to mark the face of the brass bush with a felt pen, so that you know that the hole is facing the plunger when you reassemble it.

You never know who has had this apart before you. It might not be your problem, but if it is - and must have caught out the guys who assembled my bike - it's a dead easy, 5 minute fix !!

Top Bottom