Helmets Klim TK1200 Modular Is A Winner

Bike
2003 ST1300A
At $599 this was a difficult decision, made more so by the fact I couldn't try one on anywhere so I had to roll the dice. CycleGear has a stellar helmet return policy so I bought it through them.

Fit: The medium is spot-on for me. My old Shoei full-face was a medium, if that helps.

Finish/Construction: Top-notch. The face shield has nice detents, and stays put at any speed (up to triple digits). The modular release is right in the middle so it is easy to find. It requires a thumb-finger pinch to release and raise, which is an unusual move for me but I'm getting used to it. Pulling the opened face back down is a snap.

Transitions Face Shield: This is the bomb!! Have not needed to switch to sunglasses. Shield transitions in less than a minute and gets plenty dark.

Weight: The Hi-Viz model sits right at 3 pounds 0 ounces.... WOW.

Padding/Airflow: The top vent is a bit high, so for maximum airflow I have to slightly tilt my chin down to feel the whoosh. Chin vent is very good, I got hardly any breath fog during yesterday morning's chilly ride. They do provide the pinlock and insert but with a windscreen, glasses and the faceshield I really don't want to look through another layer of anything. The padding is great, with a removable chin vent for cold days.

On/Off: Well this is taking some getting used to as well. It needs to be fully opened to get my noggin in.

Chin Strap: Not the D-Ring type, it's the European micro-ratchet type and I think it is far superior to the D-Ring. This is my first experience with this type of latch. Super easy to put on, Super-Duper easy to undo even with gloves on. This should be the standard.

Let's pile on some miles!!!

Attachments

Bike
1994 ST1100
Very nice hat. I wanted to get one but with two Schuberths E1 and C3 pro plus Nolan 104- and only one head...lol but I'm still tempted because of the transition visor.

Mark

rulbe

Site Supporter
Bike
Africa Twin AS
STOC #
Scott
I really like my TK1200 as well and the weight makes an all day ride much more enjoyable!

Bike
2005 & 2006 St 1300
STOC #
So comparatively how is it for wind noise, as well have you had it out in a down pour yet and if so how did things work out? Thanks for your review, at 3 lbs it's something to look at.

OP
OP
Scott in PA
Bike
2003 ST1300A
So comparatively how is it for wind noise, as well have you had it out in a down pour yet and if so how did things work out? Thanks for your review, at 3 lbs it's something to look at.
I think wind noise-wise it is average...my experience is they are all loud with the bike's windscreen down and the speedo over 60. No downpour yet...

rulbe

Site Supporter
Bike
Africa Twin AS
STOC #
Wind is the same as my Multitec, was in heavy wind and rain on my way to Moonshine. No leaks and no fogging with the Pinlock. I do wear custom earplugs so wind isn't an issue for me. I do really like the photchromatic lens speed that it changes.

Hope this helps!

Top Bottom