What else should I do when doing thermostat?

So my bike has been bad on gas the last couple of tanks and it does not seem to be staying at 3 bars. It's been pretty cold out so I think that could be the reason it's cold but I am not to sure. I have a big trip coming up in a few weeks about 6,000 miles and I didn't want to chance so so I figured i'd replace it anyways. The bike is new to me, i've only put about 3k on it and it has 43,000km on it. When I purchased it the guy said he had done all of the fluids except coolant about 2k ago, so rear end fluid, brake, clutch should be fine.

Took her all apart tonight and I am going to do the thermostat, plugs, coolant, check the valves and the air filter. Anything else I should consider doing while it's all apart?

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Have you seen any signs of coolant dripping or weeping along the motor?

OP
OP
no but I have not exactly looked either.. with everything off it would be an easy time to look. any particular area or side to check?

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
If you are in far enough to replace the thermostat,,, tighten up as many of the coolant hose clamps that you can. I managed to get to 8 of them,, and all needed some degree of tightening. Some much more than others,,, Cat'

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Not holding 3 bars pretty much points to a sticking thermostat. Fairly common failure.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
If you are in far enough to replace the thermostat,,, tighten up as many of the coolant hose clamps that you can.'
This. If you ever pull the tank tighten those hose clamps as well.

OP
OP
thanks guys, I got the thermostat done tonight. Then I was just reading on another thread there is a hole that is supposed to go up.. I never even checked the orientation of the hole... So I am thinking before I put the plastics on I should probably drain everything and start all over again :( argh!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
thanks guys, I got the thermostat done tonight. Then I was just reading on another thread there is a hole that is supposed to go up.. I never even checked the orientation of the hole... So I am thinking before I put the plastics on I should probably drain everything and start all over again :( argh!
It will suck to go back in there and find the hole at the top OTOH it will be a good feeling to get in there and find the hole on the bottom.

But don't feel bad, we have all done similar. Once I left off the frame crossmember that bolts up right in front of the T-stat housing and didn't see it until I was cleaning up and putting up my tools.

OP
OP
Very true! At least I don't have the plastics on it yet! It will be good practice... I guess lol.

Bike
07 ST1300
This is pretty important. The housing is cast to accept the thermostat with the hole up. (per Igofar)
You CAN put that coolant right back in the bottle using some care and a funnel. Just loosen the bottom hose and pull it off a bit till the coolant comes out in a controlled fashion.
Thank you for letting me know I am not the only one who has (possibly) done this wrong in the history of man.

OP
OP
This is pretty important. The housing is cast to accept the thermostat with the hole up. (per Igofar)
You CAN put that coolant right back in the bottle using some care and a funnel. Just loosen the bottom hose and pull it off a bit till the coolant comes out in a controlled fashion.
Thank you for letting me know I am not the only one who has (possibly) done this wrong in the history of man.
I forgot to post an update but when I took it apart the hole was in the wrong spot. I had no leaking so it is possible to install incorrectly.

Top Bottom