Wind noise and buffeting

Bike
2005 ST1300
Hi guys and gals! It's been a while since I posted here but I had a new addition to the family last spring, so my possible ST ownership was put on hold. Now that things are settling into a rhythm again I'm finding all the old complaints about my trusty Bandit have not gone away. Namely wind noise and buffeting! I have found a 2001 ST1100 near me with under 70,000km on it. It looks to be in good shape and has an aftermarket windscreen (brand unknown) as well as the stock one. The owner is asking $3500 CAN.

I've searched this forum about wind noise/buffeting and windscreen options but I mostly see posts from the taller riders. Riders who are 6' and over. I am 5'7", maybe 5'8" if I stand up nice and straight. So I'd like to hear from the shorties if you find this issue or if the massive windscreens on these bikes gives you a smooth pocket of air to tick away the miles?

Another question I have and I'm sure it's a kettle of fish, is should I still be looking at the 1100? It's been 15 yrs since they were officially discontinued. I know they are legendary for reliability, but part of me is concerned about buying a 16 year old bike. My Bandit is currently 16yrs old but I've owned it for the last 7 years and when I bought it it only had 29,000km on it. The point is I know it was a one owner bike before I got it and I know it's maintenance history. Should I save up a little more and look for an ST1300 instead? I don't have the cash for it, but a 2007 with 18,000km popped up near me two weeks ago and it looked immaculate. Price was $8,200 CAN.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I bought my 2006 1300 last August with only 10000 kms for around $8500 CAD. It was really a new bike with that low kms, and as I see it reliable more so than any other unit I have ever had. If your big concern is the buffeting, I will go out there and say the adjustable windscreen on the 1300 is a great feature the takes the majority of this away. I cannot comment on the 1100 as I haven't ridden one, but I definitely prefer the looks of the 1300, and the fuel injection is a nice touch, not that the 1100 has carb issues. Both seem like great rides. With the 1300 if you find one, I would hope it comes with the bar risers, maybe an aftermarket seat at the minimum as these are to me a mandatory upgrade in order to ride more than 150 kms at a time. Once those are done, ride gas stop to gas stop.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
My 2 cents... get a '96 or later ST1100 ABSII or '08 or later ST1300 ABS. The later model ST11s with ABSII have much better brakes and the later model ST13s have a redesigned SMC (Secondary Master Cylinder) that reduces the problems with it causing a rear wheel lockup.

As far as ST11 or ST13, they are similar but different. ST11 has carbs and is smoother than the ST13s FI. ST11 has a longer wheelbase and a little more stable at speed. The ST13 has FI, more HP and an electric windscreen, which is a really nice feature, especially considering your comment about air flow. In general, the ST13 is a little more on the SPORT Tourer side and the ST11 a little more on the Sport TOURER side. The ST1100 has a timing belt that should be changed at 90k miles. The ST13 has a timing chain. Both are stone reliable and fantastic bikes. I've had 2 ST11s and my brother has an ST13... I really like both of them but a little partial to the ST11.

The 13 will be at least $2k more than the 11, so that's also a factor. A solid ST1100 ABSII will go for $3k-$4k. A solid ST1300 ABS will go for $5k-$7k, although ST1300 prices seem to be all over the place, depending on miles. Don't be shy about a higher mileage bike (>75k). If properly maintained, these bike will run more trouble free miles than you can put on them. Many have gone well over 200k and one guy has put over 450k on his ST1100 without major engine work. Good luck with your search!

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I really liked the height and appearance of the stock clear windscreen on my 1991. But.....while replacing it after a good polishing, I cracked one of the corner mount holes. I replaced it with a taller aftermarket screen. The replacement deflects air over my helmet and gives me a really quiet ride compared with the stock screen. So...on it stays.
The stock screen is 16 inches tall. The replacement is 20 inches tall, same width as stock, but doesn't have the characteristic flip near the top. Sorry, I got it used from an ST Owners member some time ago and it has no manufacturer's marks.
I experience no buffeting from either screen, just wind impact on the top of the helmet with the stock unit, none with the taller one. I'm just over 5' 10".
Flip side is the lower screen keeps me cooler in Texas heat that the complete shielding of the taller one. Winter is another story. So....think I will repair the cracked unit and switch them out with the weather.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
A Clearview shield will give you the best protection, if you get a the height right. I look just over my Clearview and get no helmet buffeting and a nice pocket of still air behind it. I'm 5'9" and got a Clearview 4" over stock height, if I remember correctly, but you can easily measure your sight line and order appropriately. Clearview will allow you to exchange the shield for a different size after a trial ride, as long as you don't remove the plastic covering it comes to you with.

I'd suggest a good post '95 ST1100, but I am somewhat biased.

Bike
92 ST1100
A Clearview shield will give you the best protection, if you get a the height right. I look just over my Clearview and get no helmet buffeting and a nice pocket of still air behind it. I'm 5'9" and got a Clearview 4" over stock height, if I remember correctly, but you can easily measure your sight line and order appropriately. Clearview will allow you to exchange the shield for a different size after a trial ride, as long as you don't remove the plastic covering it comes to you with.

I'd suggest a good post '95 ST1100, but I am somewhat biased.
+1 on the Clearview shield to eliminate buffeting! I even went as far as adding the Laminar Lip on front of shield. Doing this totally eliminated the buffeting confronted when passing a large truck, and being near that left rear corner of trailer;).

Bike
2000 ST1100
I'm 5'-8" and ride a 2000 st1100, the stock shield for me is the absolute noisiest ride I've ever had in 40 plus years of riding, both with and without wind protection. I tried a Laminar lip, but it did nothing, no matter where it was placed. I've got on order, a medium, Clearview shield on the way, due at the end of the month. According to the specs, it's 3" vertically higher than stock. I think it must have more rake also. I'll report back after give it a go. Chunk.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I think your helmet plays a part in the noise and buffeting, I ride with both an open face and full face modular. I look over my screen and very little buffeting, wind noise yes but I usually wear earplugs.

as for the 1300, that's a lot of coin to spend. There are some very nice offerings between 4500 and 5500

i also feel the 1100 that you are looking at is in the top end of the scale price wise. Last year you could get a nice post 96 for under 3k

the bikes are dependable, having said that, the connector to the main relay is a trouble spot and can easily be dealt with, by keeping the connectors clean and tight and inspecting them on a regular basis.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I ride a 1300 and positively love the electric windscreen. If i'm riding with the breakfast group, I'll play with the height of the windshield until it is nice and quiet (c. 50 mph). If I'm slabbing, the shield goes all the way up. I value the quiet and protection over having to look through the 'shield.

Bike
2010 st1300abs
In addition to my ST1300, I still have my '93 Kawasaki Concours which has the Rifle Windshield system. On these bikes with fixed windshields, the Rifle works great at eliminating buffet by having a vent at the bottom of the shield which ducts high velocity air directly up the backside of the shield. This high velocity air then joins the air from the front of the shield up at the top and prevents the air from creating an eddy behind the windshield. It is the eddying air which creates the buffeting that you feel.
Rifle still makes a similar system for the ST1100 as far as I know. The system not only eliminates the buffeting, but my Concourse with that windshield is the driest bike I have ever been on in stormy weather!
i hope this helps.
Mike
P.S. I am also 6'5" tall and still don't get any buffeting.

Last edited:

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
I have ridden both the 1100 and the 1300 and both were remarkable for wind protection compared to what I was riding before. I now have a Victory Vision which is even quieter. I was out in fairly blustery weather today on the ST 1300 and even then I could travel at 80Kph/50mph with my visor open with no discomfort or buffeting. If you are going to ride at 120 and up it's going to get noisy whether you feel buffeted or not. Oddly enough, on the Victory, when I raise the windshield too high I get a back pressure on the rear of my helmet. YMMV.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
A lot of the replies have mentioned adding a Laminar Lip to the stock windscreen. I purchased a Laminar Lip windscreen that comes with an adjustable flip lip.

I lower it in the summer for a little more air, but when it gets chilly I bring it up a few inches to create a better pocket.

Take a look in my gallery for what it looks like. More rake than stock and not significantly taller.

Mine is smoked, but you can order them in clear also. They even have a shorty version.

No affiliation: http://www.laminarlip.com/st1100.php

I have used several different shields and when I went from a 4 inch wider shield to a more narrow shield I bought from Rifle for far less turbulence. I also dropped one inch
in height to get the top edge out of my line of sight and added the adjustable spoiler (MRA??). Near perfect now.

As for Laminar Lip, not so good but their FT131 FEET are really good in winter. The hand pieces I could not tell much improvement.

Bike
VStrom 650
Good luck finding your ride.
If you go for an 11, then take a look at MRA, they come in smoke and clear and mine has the adjustable top with a gap between top and bottom to minimise buffeting and the top can be completely removed in warm conditions.
I wouldn't go for a screen with no adjustability built in.
The MRA adjusts up and down in about 10 seconds with your gloves on.
Hope it helps.
Upt'North.

Bike
2004 ST1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
In answering your 2 part question I will tackle the 1100 vs 1300 question. I am riding my second 1100 currently. My 1st ( pun intended )
was a second owner 91 with 30K mile. It was fine until 3 years ago ( almost to the day ) what a cage driver killed it with 93K miles. No issues just
standard replacements items with the Tstat being the worst. I agree with trying to find a later ABS bike as this can't help to make it a safer ride, but you will be to take your time as they are hard to find.
Find a good ST1100 & save your $ for the tires you will go thru over the years.

On the windshield question, I have some thru several screens from the shorty to a tall boy to a lip style & still not happy. I will be going to a Clearview + on the width as soon as the $ allows.

Which ever way you go you can have thousands of miles riding pleasure with a tiny bit of work.

Top Bottom