Any idea what this gizmo might be ?

Bike
ST1300
Previous owner farkle?

Found this black plastic container located under seat, connected to battery via quickconnect harness. Wrapped in black electrical tape on outside; and inner layer of blue duct tape.

Any guesses as to what this might be?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Rheebasorber. Absorbs excess rheebs and keeps them from straying throughout the electrical system. Needs to be emptied occasionally.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Maybe an accessory power socket (e.g. Powerlet) that has been removed and taped up. Looks to be feeding power to a centre contact and earth to the shell. Pull the tape off the other end and take a look (but keep a bucket handy for those rheebs...)

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Would the imperial rheeb holder work on a metric Honda? I don't think it would.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
12 volt power socket. Appears to be unswitched so be careful removing it (which I would).

John

+1. Tape was a crude attempt at weather & short protection when not in use.

I don't see a fuse in-line either (although it might be down by the battery), so be especially careful removing it.

OP
OP
SoCal_Joe
Bike
ST1300
Sorry for the brief hiatus...work and life get in the way sometimes.

Had a chance today to pull the seat off and remove the Rheebasorber.

Here's what it looks like off the bike, and with the tape removed.

4.jpg

5.JPG

thekaz

haz gone feral

4.jpg

5.JPG
definitely a metric Rheebasorber as there is no converter inline ....

Bike
2010 ST1300
Might have been used by the PO as a socket to charge the battery - or jump it. The wire is too small for anything other than a battery tender (especially too small to jump the bike), and the lack of fusing is potentially dangerous. But who knows what goes on in the minds of men?

Bike
2010 ST1300

4.jpg

5.JPG
Powerlet power socket. I have the same thing in my trunk which the previous owner installed. I would recommend finding the other end and checking for a fuse. If it's fused, use it. If not add a fuse of the appropriate size and use it.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Looks like the polarity's been reversed. This is not a quality Powerlet product IMO, a cheap auto parts store cig lighter socket. Chuck it and install a proper BMW-style power source. Preferably a secure hard mount in the Tupperware. JMO

John

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
The polarity is reversed because the other side is left on the battery. This was carried to hook up to a battery tender pigtail, and that should already come with a fuse inline, so no need for a fuse on this part.

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
I'm too late! I would've suggested you test it before removing it. The best test for rheebs: find a good grounding source (best if standing in water barefooted) and grab hold of it, then gently place the apparatus on your tongue.

A full rheebasorber will produce a slight tingle. An empty one will induce a momentary coma. Nothing to worry about.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, have a clean pair of undies near by.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
John OoSTerhuis said:
This is not a quality Powerlet product IMO, a cheap auto parts store cig lighter socket.
+1 That's not powerlet socket. At best it's a cheap imitation. There's no locking mechanism that secures a powerlet plug. A cheap 12V socket

T_C said:
The polarity is reversed because the other side is left on the battery. This was carried to hook up to a battery tender pigtail, and that should already come with a fuse inline, so no need for a fuse on this part.
+1 The only reason to reverse the polarity is to keep all the electrons on the correct side when connecting to another bike. An odd bit of kit because it's only useful of somebody had a jumper cable with a 12V plug on at least one end. A 12V plug connected to a pair of clamps would work to but then you'd have to make sure they were connected correctly.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
The only reason to reverse the polarity is to keep all the electrons on the correct side when connecting to another bike. An odd bit of kit because it's only useful of somebody had a jumper cable with a 12V plug on at least one end.
Okay.. bit I was just more thinking that they would plug in an accessory that is live with the bike switched off. Like a USB adapter or compressor. Maybe under the seat for a generic automotive style seat heating pad. ;) Never really thought of being bike to bike or bike to car. But it could.

Top Bottom