Brake Lights - Not Working - Cause

Bike
2006 ST1300A
If the brake lights on my 2003 ST1300A are not activating, would the cause most likely be a burned out bulb, a blown fuse or short?
Neither the hand brake lever or foot pedal activates the brake light.

I looked through all fuses on left side and right side, and nothing is blown.

If it is just one blown brake light bulb, would that cause the other to not activate?

Can check the bulbs in the morning...

Thanks,

Jay

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just replaced my brake switch on my hand brake. Pedal lit up the brake light and the hand brake didn't.
Nice to buy the faulty part and it fixed the problem.
Look under your hand brake and see if you can see the switch plunger move in and out of the switch. My plunger was stuck in the switch and would not pop out.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Bulbs are most likely, but blowing one wouldn't affect the other. Often the first one burns out and goes unnoticed until some time later when the second one goes. It seems like they both went out at once but it isn't really the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I was surprised that there wasn't a brake light specific fuse. I have had the headlight fuse blow a few times.
The brake lights don't draw very much, and there's no need to put them on a separate circuit. The headlights are an entirely different ball game.

--Mark

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Both stop lamps have stopped illuminating, and you're not sure if both bulbs burned out simultaneously, or something else might be the cause?

Have you tried your horn recently?

The two stop lamp switches (and stop lamp bulbs) as well as the horn switch receive operating voltage (+12vdc) from the Main Stop Relay. So if your horn is not operating, you may want to investigate the Main Stop Relay, as well as Fuse C (in the forward fuse block) which supplies operating voltage to the Main Stop Relay.

On the other hand, if your horn is working, than you may find that both bulbs have failed at the same time.

Additionally you may find the Wiring Schematic here in the Articles Repository useful in tracing out the brake lamp circuits.

Top Bottom