I Need a New Battery

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Byron have you ever tried starting when it's cold? It's rated service temp is +40 to +140 F.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
My experience with the 'replacement' Yuasa was about 1-2 years - died with no warning.
Good to hear it is not happening only to me!

Dealer replaced my last prematurely failed Yuasa free of charge, but the sudden failure with no warning is the disturbing part.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Good to hear it is not happening only to me!

Dealer replaced my last prematurely failed Yuasa free of charge, but the sudden failure with no warning is the disturbing part.
There appears to be a problem with the 'replacement' Yuasas as I had good luck with the original ones. IIRC, there was a thread a while back with a vendor selling 'original' Yuasas out of equipment he had. My 'junk' MotoBatts just keep working, so I'm a happy camper with them - especially at the price point. ;-) I do know that the ST1100 version has more cranking amps than the stocker and more than the ST1300 I believe. And I like the extra set of terminals that you can get with them. I ride year round which seems to 'extend' battery life from what I can tell. At the end of the day, I reckon a feller ought to do what works for him in his situation. Plus I've got one of those little jump start devices now I carry with me. The Battery Tender Battery (post #20) looks pretty interesting also and appears to have a place for extra terminals.

Last edited:

Byron

STOC #
Byron have you ever tried starting when it's cold? It's rated service temp is +40 to +140 F.

Not really no. I do like the power it puts out though. My Buell was harder to crank over than the ST but with the Lithium Iron it spins quicker and fires quicker than it did with the factory AGM.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
There appears to be a problem with the 'replacement' Yuasas as I had good luck with the original ones. IIRC, there was a thread a while back with a vendor selling 'original' Yuasas out of equipment he had.
Plus I've got one of those little jump start devices now I carry with me.
My current Yuasa is one of those pull-outs. Still working fine, although I usually have it on my Battery Tender while in the garage. I do worry slightly about it's age, but then a new battery can have issues also. And the Yuasa AGM is expensive enough for me, let alone going for a Lithium battery.

I should probably carry one of those jump starter boxes just in case. I'd hate to have issue out in the boonies somewhere.

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
XTREME #XTAZ14S. from BatteriesPlus.
175 CCA. $$100.
Works good on my bike. Had it over 2 yrs. Delivers strong starts every time.20151004_161856.jpg

Last edited:
if the battery could be charged back in to normal, I'd look into loads that didn't turn off when the bike was. and the bikes charging system.

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I bought a lithium from advance auto, pricey, but it was a NIRTS moment. First one failed(bike alternator was bad and it sat, drained, for a few months over the winter) They have a 1 year warranty, they replaced it at no charge.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The PC545's CCA seems a little low at 150A compared to the Yuasa's 230 CCA. The site also says they have no fitment for the ST1300. But obviously the PC545 works.

I like the optional terminal kit. Amazon has it for >$8.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
The PC545's CCA seems a little low at 150A compared to the Yuasa's 230 CCA.
I read somewhere that even though the PC545's CCA is lower, it will crank longer. I've had no issue starting my '06 ST1300. There has also been a thread discussing the Yuasa batteries supplied with each new bike is superior to the same Yuasa battery sold separately. My replacement Yuasa lasted about 18 months.

The site also says they have no fitment for the ST1300. But obviously the PC545 works.
Ironically, Odyssey once had an image of an ST1300 on their home page online, even though they offered nothing to fit the ST1300. When I learned the Huntington Beach Police Dept. were installing the PC545 in their ST1300s, I found how they did it, bought the mounting kit from Huntington Beach Honda, and documented my installation HERE.

BTW, I love the view from Fish Ranch Road ... especially at night.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Just bought a Power Source WPZ14S Sealed AGM with 250 CCA from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BZAGWTM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 $72.99 & FREE Shipping

Saw a review by another ST1300 rider on Amazon. It had excellent reviews by most.

I've had a total of 4 bad cell failures with the YUSA batteries. Three for the ST and 1 for the Spyder. I can't recommend a YUSA, in my experience they fail catastrophically.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Just putting it out there for your consideration. $27.50 for a battery is almost too good to be true, but it's in my bike and it's been working fine for many months.
Amazing price, and I hope it works well for you. At that price, I'd consider buying a new one every year. Let us hear how long it lasts.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Let us hear how long it lasts
I will.

My assumption (which can easily be wrong) is that all batteries use the same basic "guts" and the more expensive batteries may have higher quality control, but not necessarily higher quality.

In other words, if it works at all, it will work as well as the "good" ones. We'll see. So far, 6 months trouble-free.

Bike
ST1300
Pulled the "Extreme 12V AGM Permaseal" out of my bike yesterday. Only holding 12.4 V, even after 12 hours on a Battery Tender Power Plus! 3 amp charger. The local Honda dealership would sell me a new gel battery for $217, or a sealed non-gel for $100. I called another shop (where I had good luck having the new Michelins put on), and decided to go w/ the AntiGravity 12-cell Li-Ion for $220. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
Yes. Tested battery today at 12.71 Volts. With engine on 14.42 Volts.
It died completely last month. Added some distilled water and charged it completely.
Today it died again....

I see the Yausa YTZ14S is about $215. And some of the Lithium batteries at Cycle Gear are the same...
The MotoBatt is $80.... Since I bought the ST used, I don't have a receipt for the MotoBatt. It is supposed to have a 2 year warranty. I wonder if they would honor it without the receipt.
I know this is old, but Partzilla has,the factory Yuasa for $146....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Welcome to ST-Owners!

That Yuasa is more expensive than my Odyssey PC545. Some folks swear by the OEM-specified Yuasa, but I had two go belly up in 18 months (18 months each that is). I'd recommend the Odyssey PC545, but it's not a straight-n-easy swap out replacement. Where in VA are you located? I ask because I don't buy batteries online ... I want a store to which I can return it if defective. Surely there's a retailer or motorcycle shop close to you where you can buy a battery.

Hopefully, you've searched for some of the battery threads here for additional information. If so, you've probably learned the ST1300's battery is basically too small. Most owners make double-certain they do not overload it nor leave lights on longer than absolutely necessary. You may also want to invest in a Battery-Tender to keep the battery charged while not riding. I use one every now and then.

Top Bottom