Looking for a tinted windshield for my ST-1300

So after a couple hundred miles on my new to me ST1300, I'm noticing a few things with the OE windshield.

1. when the windshield is in the lowest position, it whistles and is annoying as heck.
2. when the windshield is raised to keep the wind off my helmet, I can feel the force pushing me into the handlebars
3. the clear windshield is boring

So I'd like to get a light smoke replacement windshield. I've been reading tons of reviews of all different sort of windshields. I have no intentions of ever riding in anything less than 50 degrees. I do plan to ride with a passenger about 50% of the time. I typically like to ride with my vision just over the windshield. I had a national cycle on my nighthawk, it was a good shield, and had a slight tint. I noticed, no tint from this company for the ST.

I like the looks of the Rifle the best, but I'm not crazy about having to use their magical blocks and remove the plastic covers on the back side. I have seen some positive reviews of the Rifle, and some not so good.

I think something that is an inch or 2 wider, or taller would be ok. I do know the windshield is one set of holes up from stock.

Thanks.

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
Does smoked windshield not whistle?? LOL!

I can't handle a smoked or any tinted windshield for night riding.. I need clear and usually up to smack bugs before they smack me!
If you can find the posts on here, try putting spacers with longer screws on the windshield to space it out (the further the better). Purpose is to get more air under the windshield to reduce the "vacuum" behind the windshield.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I have seen some positive reviews of the Rifle, and some not so good.
I've heard a lot of good about them,
Read, review, research all you want. But every rider is a different height, different helmet, different preferred height of shield and riding position, in the end has a different experience.

It sucks, but not as bad as the vacuum, behind the OEM (see, another opinion, some folks like the OEM). Like a saddle, try before you buy if possible, otherwise... good luck.

OP
OP
Read, review, research all you want. But every rider is a different height, different helmet, different preferred height of shield and riding position, in the end has a different experience.

It sucks, but not as bad as the vacuum, behind the OEM (see, another opinion, some folks like the OEM). Like a saddle, try before you buy if possible, otherwise... good luck.
Yeah, you know how it is though. I hate the thought of getting a windshield for $180 then decide i dont like it. Its like buying an exhaust system. Im trying to do my due diligence to beat the bushes best i can to make the best guess on a windshield the first time.

Bike
2006 Honda ST1300
Well, I just pulled the trigger on the CalSci sport tinted screen. I'm a short, old dude and after riding sport bikes for a long while, hate looking thru plastic. The stock screen usually sits in the full down position except in the rain. It then gets raised to about half mast and the back pressure is ridiculous. All I want is clean air flow and no pressure in any direction. I'll know if it's right in about 10 days.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Exactly.

Yeah, you know how it is though. I hate the thought of getting a windshield for $180 then decide i dont like it. Its like buying an exhaust system. Im trying to do my due diligence to beat the bushes best i can to make the best guess on a windshield the first time.
In the end, your due diligence is only going to be a guide, and you might be unpleasantly surprised. In which case, sell it here. I reviewed the Calsci shield here some time last year. I generally like it, but one big disadvantage (my opine only) is the two triangular openings down low on the shield that allegedly ease the back pressure by allowing some air behind the shield from a relatively high pressure area in front of the shield (does that make sense?). When it rains, big juicy rain drops come through these holes and smack my face from below - and since i usually ride with my helmet visor just cracked open a little bit, said rain drops smack me right in the face.

Alternative: Wunderlicht (sp?) makes wind deflectors for BMW's. These are pricey beastes at best (cost about what a complete new shield costs for the ST). A friend found knockoffs on ebay - search for motorcycle wind deflectors - that were much cheaper. These aluminum gizmos clamp the the windshield and a mini plexi deflector pushes air where there was no air before.

Tinting? How about one of those films designed for cars? Years ago I bought the film cheaply and applied it to a storm window to cut down on bright light and heat into a room of our house.

OP
OP
Well, I just pulled the trigger on the CalSci sport tinted screen. I'm a short, old dude and after riding sport bikes for a long while, hate looking thru plastic. The stock screen usually sits in the full down position except in the rain. It then gets raised to about half mast and the back pressure is ridiculous. All I want is clean air flow and no pressure in any direction. I'll know if it's right in about 10 days.
Im anxious to hear your name results. How tinted is this going to be. I would only want a light smoke, not the shields that damn near look black.

OP
OP
I find myself once in awhile putting the shield up enough that I need to look through it. I think that would be pretty difficult with that one, but let me know please.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
So what are you doing with your stock shield as I'm looking for a good used one?

Bike
2006 Honda ST1300
New CalSci sport shield installed two days ago. It's definitely an improvement on the high position back pressure. I ran it all the way up at "highway" speeds and no noticeable push forward now. The view thru it is ok, but night time riding up would be difficult. It's thinner than stock, so I ended up replacing the mount spacer hardware with shorter stuff to allow the plastic covers lay flat. I do love the dark look of it on the black bike.

Bike
2004 ST1300
I believe CalSci only makes a tinted shield in the sport shorty one.
applying tint film to a compound curved piece would seem difficult w/o making relief cuts. Not a good option.
I liked the Rifle tinted shield I had on my Concours prior to the ST, but with the reviews I've read I think the CalSci is probably going to be my choice when I upgrade.
Have you ridden much with a passenger? When I have it seems the back pressure is a lot less pronounced with an extra person back there even with the OEM shield.

Bike
2006 Honda ST1300
A bit more feedback. Finally got to use it in total darkness. Even up, I could kinda see thru it, but I kept it at just below eye level because the bugs were super thick and annoying.

Top Bottom