Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange Problem Today -- Smoke from left side

Strange Problem Today -- Smoke from left side

Hey guys. Haven't been here in a while, but...

Got on the bike this afternoon to go to work, and after a few minutes of it warming up in the garage, smoke started to come out of the left side engine opening. I checked the temp bars on the display and there were none (thought there should have been at least one at that point). There was a faint burning smell, but I shut off the engine before I could really get a good whiff. The radiator hadn't kicked on either.

It's an '06 that I bought new and it has 33k miles on it, or thereabouts.

I have had no issues with this bike whatsoever, but this has me a tad worried! Any ideas on what it could be?

Bike
    04 ST1300
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Re: Strange Problem Today -- Thermostat?

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotronic View Post
    Hey guys. Haven't been here in a while, but...

Got on the bike this afternoon to go to work, and after a few minutes of it warming up in the garage, smoke started to come out of the left side engine opening. I checked the temp bars on the display and there were none (thought there should have been at least one at that point). There was a faint burning smell, but I shut off the engine before I could really get a good whiff. The radiator hadn't kicked on either.

It's an '06 that I bought new and it has 33k miles on it, or thereabouts.

I have had no issues with this bike whatsoever, but this has me a tad worried! Any ideas on what it could be?
    Maybe something spilled that is now burning off. If you think it is ok, let the engine run and see if the smoke goes away.

(Threadstarter)
    My Gallery

Can't imagine what would have spilled inside the cowl, though. And it hadn't been ridden in a week, and was safely stowed in my garage. I'll try it tomorrow, though.

Bike
    '97 ST1100
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

depending on how long a "few minutes" is the guesses would vary from electrical smoke (if the engine were basically cold when the smoke appeared) to possible oil or coolant dripped on the exhaust if the engine had time to get a little warm. They each have a distinct smell, but it sounds like you weren't able to get a good enough whiff to make that determination.

Bike
    2004 ST1300A
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

What about a animal or rodents?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bike
    ST-1200
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Re: Strange Problem Today -- Smoke from left side

I changed the title and moved the thread, the thermostat has never been linked to any smoking that I'm aware of.

I agree with others, something may have made a nest in there or a possible loose wire. Did you do a valve check recently? You may just have a loose hose clamp and some coolant dripped on the headers. Did you notice what the smoke smelled like?

Bike
    st1300 '04
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Left side is the side stand side so that doesn't point to anything specific. Stuff is gonna drain that way.
    When did you last start it?

I guess the important question is what did the smoke smell like? Sweet like antifreeze, acrid like pvc wire insulation. Oil. etc.

I'd roll it outside for the next smoke test. Maybe pull the lower cowling off and look up from under the bike for anything obvious. Easy enough to do.

It should take a lot longer than 2 minutes for the radiator fans to kick in.
    Carl, SToc#7163, ST1300 '04

(Threadstarter)
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow View Post
    I changed the title and moved the thread, the thermostat has never been linked to any smoking that I'm aware of.

I agree with others, something may have made a nest in there or a possible loose wire. Did you do a valve check recently? You may just have a loose hose clamp and some coolant dripped on the headers. Did you notice what the smoke smelled like?
    Yeah, thanks for moving it -- sorry about that!

No, as I had a balaclava on under my helmet. I shut it down before I took the helmet off. There wasn't enough residual smoke that I could even smell at that point.

No, haven't had the valves checked lately. I did have to replace the left side mirror/blinker assembly thanks to a minor fender bender in the city a few weeks ago, and shortly thereafter the right headlight went out and I replaced that. But that's it.

Bike
    2004 ST1300
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Could the starter or solenoid not have disengaged upon starting causing the starting system to get hot? Just trying to think of possibilities.

(Threadstarter)
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by cornSTalk View Post
    Could the starter or solenoid not have disengaged upon starting causing the starting system to get hot? Just trying to think of possibilities.
    Hmm... how would I check that? I'm going to go start it -- outside this time -- and see if it happens again, and if so what it smells like. Wish me luck.

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast