Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zumo Trip Planner & Basecamp - What Goes Wrong and Why

Bike
    ST1300A9 (2013)
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Zumo Trip Planner & Basecamp - What Goes Wrong and Why

I wrote this document over a year ago when I first got my Zumo 590. It was driving me nuts in that it didn't behave how I expected it to behave. So I tested it, tried to find out when it went wrong and why, noted apparent changes in the way that Zumo define the way in which routing points are treated during navigation. Basically, I shook it until it started behaving itself.

No - that's unfair. My Zumo behaves exactly as it did before, but I understand it better, and I know how to avoid the numerous traps that present themselves between planning a route and clicking 'Go' on the Zumo. And this is what the attached document is about. Loads of screenshots to illustrate the points, and hopefully written in a way that makes it clear.

The issues discussed are peculiar to the recent Zumos that have the Trip Planner App - like the 590, 595, 390, 395. But there is stuff in here that is also relevant to the way in which Mapsource and the Zumo 500 series work.

There are 4 files attached. The first is the full document of 3 parts - 27 pages.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zumo 590 & Basecamp.pdf 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	183005

I've also split it into the 3 separate sections:

Part 1 is to do with routes and how the Zumo treats the different type of routing points when navigating.

Name:	Zumo 590 & Basecamp Part1.pdf 
Views:	48 
Size:	695.9 KB 
ID:	183006

Part 2 is a complete route put together in Basecamp and getting it to work correctly in the Zumo. There is a lot to go wrong - this will fix the issues.

Name:	Zumo 590 & Basecamp Part2.pdf 
Views:	33 
Size:	539.7 KB 
ID:	183007

Part 3 is a reference section for both Basecamp and the Zumo. A series of "How To" descriptions - focusing on the things that go wrong - including why the carefully planned route ends up as something different in the Zumo; how to clear those unwanted routes, favourites and trip logs; Basecamp's 'Ghost' Points; ..... stuff like that.

Name:	Zumo 590 & Basecamp Part3.pdf 
Views:	42 
Size:	671.5 KB 
ID:	183008

Part 4 is new (4 Nov 2017) - I've been looking at the use of Basecamp Profiles and how the routing affects the Zumo. It is quite a detailed look at what happens when the mode changes, and where the Zumo obtains its information in order to recalculate routes. Long but quite revealing. I will post a summary at the head of this thread. Part 4 currently a separate document, and not included with the full 27 page document. (The whole lot has ended up too large to upload)

Name:	Zumo 590 & Basecamp 2017 - Part 4.pdf 
Views:	2 
Size:	921.5 KB 
ID:	187942
    Last edited by jfheath; 11-04-2017 at 04:58 PM.

2. The Following User Likes This Post:

Bike
    2014 FJR1300A
    Tip Overs
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Re: Zumo Trip Planner & Basecamp - What Goes Wrong and Why

Thanks for doing this, it helps understand more about how my 590 and Basecamp works (or doesn't). Nice work, very thorough!
    Ray

Bike
    '05 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

I will have to watch these. I like my 590, but my old 550 seemed easier to use.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Michael Heck
    '05 ST1300
    STOC: 664
    IBA: 61220
    "I know I was born, I know that I will die, the in between is mine" Pearl Jam

Bike
    ST1300
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

I have been stocking up on 550s and now also have a 665 I like the way they work and will use them as long as I can.

2003 & 2004 ST1300 IBA# 32834
    USAF Retired STOC# 5079

John Heath
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    ST1300A9 (2013)
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by mlheck View Post
    I will have to watch these. I like my 590, but my old 550 seemed easier to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveST1300 View Post
    I have been stocking up on 550s and now also have a 665 I like the way they work and will use them as long as I can.
    The 550 is a pretty good machine, and it is easy to predict how it is going to behave. My only real complaints were that the ETA would stay constant for much of a trip, but the last 30 minutes would take over an hour. The 660/665 improved on this considerably.
    The 550 was pretty slow, and would sometimes (just occasionally) lose the map, and require a restart. Mine had to go in for service, and they had no replacements - they sent me a brand new 660 instead !

The 660/665 took a little liking at first, but had many more features that I did like - the configurable data display for example. But I loved the way that it would carry on navigating from where you are as soon as you joined the magenta route. It didn't matter where you were on the route, it would pick up navigation from where you joined the route.

The 590 has many features to be admired - but it seems to me that however good the technical solution is to a number of navigational issues, the usability for the rider has fallen by the wayside. So being forced to visit a route point no matter what, goes back to how the 550 used to behave in some circumstances. The Garmin solution was to introduce a 'Skip' button feature in a software update. To get to it involves pressing two locations on different screens - and now would earn 6 points on a UK licence and a 200 fine.

I actually like the 590 now - but only because I have spent the time working out what it does and when - which is why I produced the document. I sometimes still wish I had the 660 though - even though I believe that it is no longer supported.

Bike
    ST1300
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Jeff there is a guy over here called the PalmDr who repairs GPS's He did one of my 550's recently it lost the XM radio it just disappeared well it was not expensive and the service was very fast he also replaced the internal battery which speeded up the device dramatically. I haven't had a chance to use the 665 yet but will soon.

Bike
    2012 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

I've started calling my 665 "HAL."

Bike
    '05 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

I finally had some time to read through this last night. After using a 550 for many years and upgrading straight to a 590, the learning curve has been steep. I was starting to figure out the via point difference and some of the other changes. This article helped speed up my learning curve.

Thank you for taking the time to capture this information and share it a very easy to understand format. This kind of stuff is what makes this forum great.

John Heath
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    ST1300A9 (2013)
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by mlheck View Post
    I finally had some time to read through this last night.
    Yes - it does go on a bit doesn't, it? But glad you found it useful, and more importantly, easy to read. And thanks for the positive feedback - very much appreciated !

Bike
    '05 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by jfheath View Post
    Yes - it does go on a bit doesn't, it?
    On the contrary. The important parts were stressed often enough that only an idiot would make that mistake. I have to try and lead a lot of idiots at work, so I'm well versed in trying to get a point across. You did a fine job.

Thanks again for a very informative article.

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast