anyone have a pic of helibar gen III with a gps mounted to it?

I was riding today, and trying to envision the helibars gen III with a zumo 660 or similar. it seemed to me that when turning the handlebars, the gps may hit. Anyone have experience with mounting onendown there? i was also considering getting the clutch reservoir cover with the gps mount?

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I have the Heli gen3's,,, and my ram mount is right on the centre cover plate. I have had a couple different gps's there,,, but right now I have a 7" that fits nicely. The whole setup rotates with the bars,,, so no interference,,, Cat'

20170511_185925.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
I have the Heli gen3's,,, and my ram mount is right on the centre cover plate. I have had a couple different gps's there,,, but right now I have a 7" that fits nicely. The whole setup rotates with the bars,,, so no interference,,, Cat'
It doesn't come close to the dash when the handlebars are turned lock to lock?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
My GPS is either my iPhone or iPad Mini. The Mini doesn't touch anything whether horizontal or vertical. It's all in the mounting. Use a short or long RAM arm and position as needed. However ignition key access is slightly impinged.

OP
OP
So on the flip side, will a Zumo or similar hit the windshield when the bars are turned lock to lock when mounted on the clutch master cylinder. Seems like it would be at a better/safer viewing angle up on the clutch reservoir. Wouldn't need to take your eyes off the road as much as looking down above the handlebar riser.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
With 6"+ between the instrument panel and my gps, access to the ignition key is not bad,, especially if you turn the bars towards which ever side of the bike you are standing beside. Access to the key is tough though when sitting on the bike. I must admit,,, that I tend to tend to start the bike before mounting. And I shut it down by lowering the sidestand,, then off the ignition after dismounting. Cat'

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
That is where I have mine mounted and it can depending on how you configure the ram arm and how long it is. But you can set it up so it does not.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Catmandu2 said:
Access to the key is tough though when sitting on the bike. I
I almost always put the key in and turn on the ignition while off the bike and more often than not start it before saddling up. I stop the engine with the kill switch or side stand. I have enough room to remove the key when reaching behind the Mini while on the bike.

ScubaDave said:
That is where I have mine mounted and it can depending on how you configure the ram arm and how long it is. But you can set it up so it does not.
I now have the RIBS on my ST so I can put the phone on the dash and it's very close to line sight. The Mini is too heavy (i believe) to mount on the dash so it lives on the Heli's ball. With the 3" arm it's u enough that I can glance at it from time to time without a problem. You just pick your time. But the RAM bits give you a lot of room to maneuver.

I spend very little time actually looking at the nav info. A quick glance gives me the 'shape of things to come' and Bluetooth gives me the turn by turn. Every now and then I put a speedometer app on either device to compare it to my speedo. You can get into trouble just trying to make out something in your mirror or checking your LCD panel. You have to pick your time and pay attention.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...will a Zumo or similar hit the windshield when the bars are turned lock to lock when mounted on the clutch master cylinder...
Be aware that there are concerns arising from mounting a GPS asymmetrically on the handlebars. The problem is that when you make inputs to the GPS when riding (which implies that your eyes will momentarily be off the road and on the GPS), you may unintentionally create a steering input when you are pressing on the GPS.

Michael

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
you may unintentionally create a steering input when you are pressing on the GPS.
If you are pushing that hard on the GPS faceplate... umm... your GPS is from the stoneage or needs a new touchscreen.

Just saying' :rolleyes:

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Actually CYYJ is correct.

It is an unconscious sympathetic reaction that when you press with your right hand you might pull with your left hand.
If you are focused on the screen and not the road at high speed it could be a really bad thing.....:eek:
This is where the the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing.....

Just be careful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom