U-Turn technique

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
That's very close to the Tokyo Drift; :rofl1: But no. It's flicking the front wheel slightly in the opposite direction of the turn and then back and completing the U-turn.
Yeah, I know but I was having a little fun with it. I am a big fan of WRC, especially the old Group B, and really enjoy driving on loose surfaces myself.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
Anyhow I still can't understand what he's calling that little jink. I'll have to break out the headphones and see if that helps.
He is saying " DIP " in my book you are pushing the bike down into the turn or dipping the front end which decreases the steering radius.
LEOs use that for doing those small turns within a circle of cones.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
Look where you want the bike to go. Look down, foot down. Keep the clutch in the friction zone. Keep the rpms up this will help balance the bike much like a spinning top. Put your weight on your outer foot peg by stepping down. Relax your shoulders, arms and neck so you can turn the bars. Some times at the end of the U turn you will feel the bike tip too much. Give it some throttle and you will feel the bike stand up. Practice this in a safe place then when you need to it will be easy. If not you can always keep your feet down and paddle walk it.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Been there done this many times. First, ignore all those posts telling us a little power slide donut action is all you need. I'd bet good money not one of those posters can power slide an ST1300 more than a second on a dirt 2 lane gravel road before it hits the dirt.

You need to stop and think the turn around over. All you need is upright balance, either from your own brain and muscle or get some help. You must always keep the bike leaned a bit to favor the "up hill" side of the turn around. The down hill side will be to long in leg for you to maintain balance. I often slide my butt over off the seat to give the uphill leg more "length" forget the too long downhill side, it won't reach, keep it on the footpeg. The only way the turn around will happen is slowly point the bike up hill while turning the bars and go forward a bit, stop, turn the bars, back up a bit. Lay it down going to the uphill side if it has to happen.

If you need to turn around "turning right" go over to the other wrong side of the road, just make sure that the uphill leg (right leg in a right uphill turn) is used to hold the bike. The left leg won't have enough reach and boom over you'll go. On dirt roads I also look over the road for dips and high sides (just off into the grass even) that I can use to make the bike roll backwards when I stop the forward momentum kinda like bumping off a curb. Much easier to let the bike roll without pushing with the balance leg.

I used to visit Cheaha State park in Alabama yearly for a ride rally. The hotel parking lot was NOT FLAT anywhere, very steep off chamber off angle but nice marked parking spaces all over. We would just sit and watch bikes try to park and those who failed to think it thru often went boom, leg too short on one side. The reason I mention this is because we all could go practice our skills in a paved parking lot if you know of a bad parking lot in your area. We probably all practice this type of turn every time we ride as in we should be pulling into parking spots "uphill" so the bike rolls back out without much foot pushing.

I'll be waiting for those ST1300 gravel road power slide videos guys. I'd settle for you just power sliding it in the back yard grass. My attempts make the bike spin around maybe 20 degrees...

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Keep the rpms up this will help balance the bike much like a spinning top.
Works for conventional engine bike when the crankshaft is perpendicular with the long axis, ie V-Twin. ST1300 and ST100 the axis of rotation is in line with the bike, no gyroscopic effect on keeping the bike upright, movement is in line with the axis of the gyroscope. Much like spinning the outer frame of a gyro..

Bike
2010 ST-1300
Works for conventional engine bike when the crankshaft is perpendicular with the long axis, ie V

I wasn't aware of that. I know it really helps on the little 250cc bikes we have at the MSF class. I also thought it helped balance my r1100rt and the crank is the same as my ST? Maybe it's just in my head? Great now I'll drop it next time I try the U-turn box 8>) I know dragging the rear brake really helps.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
I wish I had this kids skill, amazing to watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20XsaHpRQC8
There, I knew it was possible. Well, he doesn't have linked brakes, and he isn't on an ST, nor is he on gravel on a road sloped in two directions. With that skill, I have an idea he wouldn't have a lot of trouble, but it would still be nice to see him do that on an ST. Wonder how many miles he gets on a tire? What are the preferred tires for these antics (just kidding here)?

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Probably the same time he missed impressing that young lady.

Top Bottom