tank dent fix

Bike
2007 ST 1300
Has anyone any experience in paintless dent removal using hot glue and bridge device to pull dent out, I have a small dent in my fuel tank and I would like to remove but don't really want to use a filler and repaint whole tank

Bike
Vstrom 650
I've seen it done on cars were the paint isn't damaged, it's amazing when you see it done, I'd imagine a similar technique could work on a bike tank,depending on were the dent is.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I'd be interested in this answer. I tried the hot air gun follow by spraying with something cold (dust off aerosol) and that didn't work...

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I had some paintless repair done on a thin skinned Kia,, and I was impressed. I think they used a powerful magnet and heat,, however,, they have a bunch of crazy tools at their disposal. If it was my tank,, I would take it to someone who is pretty confident they can deliver results. Cat'

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I've seen the kits for sale that use hot melt glue and a bridge to pull the dent. After the dent is pulled, a hot air gun removes the glue.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Make sure you clean all the wax/oil/slippery materials off the entire area before you use this procedure. I've seen great results but haven't used it myself. I do have several antique tanks I intend to use this on before resorting to professional help.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Many of the dent removing guys for cars use body shop metal spoons to tap the dent out from the inside. You might google dent removal - but having done so, I know you will get a lot of standard body shop hits. Put in your location to eliminate hits far away from you. Sometimes these guys call themselves magic dent removal. You might also go to used car lots (the better ones) and explain you are looking for one of these guys. Some travel from lot to lot like the Mac Tool or Snap-On tool vendors.

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST 1300
Thanks for all your replies. Cost to purchase hot glue system is cheap so will try and post results of before and after

Bike
2006 ST1300
I used the hot/glue-bridge thing ( King Ding?? I think it was called) both on my R100S, and on a few car dents. Worked great on both. A few ideas:

1. Patience is key. It can take a LOT of tries to pull the dent completely out.
2. Clean the area first, before using the hot glue, using a really fins compound, alcohol, or a harsh detergent.
3. Experiment with the different shapes of attachment points...different ones can work better.

Best of luck!

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Many of the dent removing guys for cars use body shop metal spoons to tap the dent out from the inside.
That won't work on most motorcycle tanks because they're double-walled to prevent spills during accidents.

--Mark

Bike
2010 ST1300
That won't work on most motorcycle tanks because they're double-walled to prevent spills during accidents.

--Mark
I didn't know that. Or they are plastic - re the post about a plastic tank that nobody heard of on an ST.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I didn't know that. Or they are plastic - re the post about a plastic tank that nobody heard of on an ST.
The 1300's tank is metal. The faux tank on the 1100 is a cover for the air cleaner and has a door in the back for getting at the filler for the real tank, which is metal. I have no idea what the cover is made of, but plastic would make a lot of sense.

--Mark

Top Bottom