Heated Gear - Panel Mounted Jack Question

Saint Joe

Joe
Bike
'12 ST1300A
I would like to install a panel mount outlet for my Gerbing/Gyde Heated Jacket and prefer the looks & functionality of the FirstGear DC COAX Jack Panel Mount as it looks like the cover flips open and closes much like a [spring loaded] Powerlet outlet, versus the Gyde Gerbing 12v Flush-Mounted Panel Port – ACPM which has a rubber plug you have to push in to cover the outlet.

The Firstgear option seems to have slightly better reviews on the I‘net as well.

From my research so far, I think they are the same size connector, therefore interchangeable.
Anyone know for sure if they are the same [size connectors]?

FirstGear DC COAX Jack Panel Mount
https://fortnine.ca/en/firstgear-dc-coax-jack-panel-mount

vs

Gyde Gerbing 12v Flush-Mounted Panel Port - ACPM
https://fortnine.ca/en/gerbing-12-panel-mounted-port-acpm

Thanks,
Joe

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Have you thought about this? I know it's not where you asked for but there's not a lot of room up front. And the 2 plug covers are spring loaded.

Powerlet is running a promotion on its Honda ST1300 2002 - 2007 Dual Rear Kit - PKT-028 http://www.powerlet.com/product/honda-st1300-2002-2007-dual-rear-kit/141

Simple bolt on solution provides two outlets for heated clothing, battery charging, powering Luggage Electrixâ„¢, inflating tires, etc. The bracket is designed to utilize existing holes for the shock adjuster. Clean installed appearance. Kits mount on the left side of the bike.

Regularly $94.95 - Promotional price at $60.00

While Supplies Last!

Email orders only - Contact adam.bonislawski@coliant.com

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
I like the dual output, and thought about them when I was fitting mine. In the end I decided that I didn't want the rear of these exposed to the sort of mud, grit and salt water that UK winter riding would throw up in this location. I don't know how protected they are though. .
I just received the dual power plugs that I posted about. The backside of the plugs are covered in a thick boot and the wires are covered in a thick insulation wrap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I got my Dual Rear powerlet panel and it's well made kit. I'm almost tempted to see if I could squeeze a coaxial jack onto it.

That FirstGear panel mount jack is nice but it looks too big to fit on that panel.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
The DIN / powerlet sockets are usually capable of handling the current required for heated gear - which might be a consideration for the other, smaller type.
The Coaxial connectors are more than capable of handling the power with the heated gear that came with it. I am making the assumption that the panel mount ones will also.

For me, I used the battery connection pigtail that came with my jacket and feed it between the seat and tank. When not in use I just tuck the wire and plug behind the seat and tank on the left side. I have been using this connector for the past 9 years and about 125,000 miles.

One less thing to fuss with when removing the body panels.

IMG_1435 (2).jpgIMG_1436 (2).jpg

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
MajorTom said:
I mounted a couple of outlets on the left side cover.
Could you post a pic or two if you get a chance?

The cigarette/12V connectors are ubiquitous over here but seldom fit really well and often don't inspire confidence especially in cheaper gear. I've had a few experiences where I had to bend the contacts on a 12V plug to work. Since heated gear manufacturers have used the coaxial connector for years I see no reason not to trust it.

My one (so far) experience with it was the original Eclipse Heated Vest of maybe 30yrs ago? It had a huge appliance inline On/Off switch with a coiled lamp cord and used an SAE connector. I can't count the number of times I got off the bike and walked away just to be stopped like the bulldog in cartoons reaching the end of his rope. All this to say putting a coax connecter on a top or side panel can remind you to disconnect before disembarking or disconnect less painfully when forgetting to do so properly.

An odd thing about Eclipse quality- I recently dug up the vest and washed it thinking to put it to use but found that it shrunk big time! :rofl1: All the more reason to investigate jacket liners.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
Here are three pictures of the Powelet outlets on my left sidecover. These are to be used for heated gear and I needed two inches of clearance behind the panel and a reasonably flat mounting spot that wouldn't interfere with either the rider or passenger's legs.

Powerlet_1.jpg Image of the side cover with the two Powerlet outlets.

Powerlet_2.jpg Image of the front outlet with the cover closed.

Powerlet_3.jpg Image of the rear outlet with the cover open.

Attachments

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Here are three pictures of the Powelet outlets on my left sidecover.
Nice! Thanks for the pics. I've got the Dual Panel so powerless are taken care of. I'm kind of tempted to put that First Gear coaxial jack on the side panel. 'Kind of' as I'm a little hesitant to cut or drill into any Tup.

OP
OP
Saint Joe

Saint Joe

Joe
Bike
'12 ST1300A
Thanks for all the feedback, ideas & suggestions.

I have the ST with the black plastic covers on the sides & don't really want to remove them to install the double Powerlet outlet, especially when I already have a couple Powerlet/Cigarette type outlets elsewhere on my bike. I've been using a Powerlet to Coax Female adapter like this http://www.powerletcanada.com/product/PPC-005, but was thinking about a panel mounted coax outlet for a few reasons.

Sidenote: I did install the battery connection pigtail that came with my wife's jacket and left it hanging/tucked in by the seat on her HD Softail (aka “The Tractorâ€).

As for removing the Tupperware in the future, my understanding is that the battery connection pigtail that came with my jacket just plugs in to the panel mount, so it's easy to remove any panel you choose to mount the panel jack in.

I think I'll order the Firstgear version and give it a try, and given the Powerlet sales going on now, I might just have to see if there's something else I need/want!

Thanks again.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I've been thinking of doing some thing like this for years. I have a dual temp control (Firstgear I believe) that I either Velcro on top of the clutch reservoir or inside the left pocket. I've been thinking of mounting permanently but I also use it at times on the 919 so not sure a permanent mount is in the future.

Guess I have another summer to think about it.

OP
OP
Saint Joe

Saint Joe

Joe
Bike
'12 ST1300A
I've been thinking of doing some thing like this for years. I have a dual temp control (Firstgear I believe) that I either Velcro on top of the clutch reservoir or inside the left pocket. I've been thinking of mounting permanently but I also use it at times on the 919 so not sure a permanent mount is in the future.

Guess I have another summer to think about it.
I'm not planning on permanently mounting my Gerbing/Gyde dual temp (wired) controller, just the plug on the bike(s) to plug the controller in to.

I have this jack on my Super Tenere for heated gear and it work great.
Thanks, sounds like it should work for almost any brand of heated gear with the Coax connector.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
Thanks, sounds like it should work for almost any brand of heated gear with the Coax connector.
I like the Powerlet system for its versatility and tidy appearance and bought both SAE and coax adapters with the two outlets. The Powerlet outlet is rated to 15 amps so I can use it for charging the battery as well, using the SAE adapter. Good luck with the coax plug install Joe.

OP
OP
Saint Joe

Saint Joe

Joe
Bike
'12 ST1300A
I like the Powerlet system for its versatility and tidy appearance and bought both SAE and coax adapters with the two outlets. The Powerlet outlet is rated to 15 amps so I can use it for charging the battery as well, using the SAE adapter. Good luck with the coax plug install Joe.
Thanks Barry, I do use the Powerlet outlet for my battery maintainer over the winter and whatever I need it for in the summer, and I agree, they are versatile, tidy, well made & durable. On my previous ST, I had done something similar to you in that I installed the Powerlet outlet in the black plastic panel just below the red side panel. I'm not sure yet where I'll install the coax outlet. On Jude's HD I used a SAE pigtail for maintaining her battery, the Gerbing/Gyde pigtail for heated gear, and a (chrome) Powerlet Cig outlet on her handle bars for another outlet.

Hopefully we'll see you & the others soon as the weather clears up.
Joe

Top Bottom