ST1100 Fuel Float Mech - Cleanable?

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I searched a bit and only found an ST1300 thread that applied...

I have a 2001 ST1100 coming out of deep storage. Got everything up and going, just need a fuel gauge.

I used a DVOM to find no signal coming from the float mechanism no matter what position I raised/lowered the rod through the fill neck using a long screwdriver. Since we know there was varnished fuel, what is the wisdom of the list? Are there contact points or things that can be cleaned to re-use the existing float mechanism?

We did not have to remove the tank to clean what was in it, but could easily pull it. Or, is it off to eBay to find a replacement float assembly? The seal looks more of an o-ring, or does anyone know if it is an actual gasket that I should have on-hand before digging in?

TIA

Last edited:
Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
The gasket is not quite an O-ring. I ordered spares for the level indicator and the fuel pump right after I got my 1991 as just in case spares.
No problems with my ST1100 sending unit but the unit on the GL1000's is a similar design. If the bike is stored with the fuel level below the rheostat mechanism, it will corrode internally. They were not repairable....at least by me.
I got a nice looking spare from an Ebay seller for a spare. A volt/ohmmeter shows current across the connection so I think it will probably work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dale_I

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I appreciate the response. I think I may chance my seal being reusable and take a look at it. A local dealer can get me a gasket by Wed.

If I order a used float assembly off eBay over the weekend it won't ship until Monday anyway. This will give me a chance to see what it is and how it works.

After tinkering I'll post back with any findings I experience. Otherwise, I'll come back with an "epic fail" report and some lucky sucker on eBay gets to take my money. Anyone with experience... your knowledge would appreciated.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I appreciate the response. I think I may chance my seal being reusable and take a look at it. A local dealer can get me a gasket by Wed.

If I order a used float assembly off eBay over the weekend it won't ship until Monday anyway. This will give me a chance to see what it is and how it works.

After tinkering I'll post back with any findings I experience. Otherwise, I'll come back with an "epic fail" report and some lucky sucker on eBay gets to take my money. Anyone with experience... your knowledge would appreciated.
There is a guy in Spokane who knows these 1100s inside and out. Try reaching out to , if I remember right....okbobw .....on the member list. He can help for sure. I know he has rebuilt many.

ToddC

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dale_I

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
ToddC... thanks.

I think I might have ran into who you are talking about a few years ago. I saw a group of ST's and I was thinking of selling mine at the time (glad I didn't!), but folllowed them into a parking lot to ask if anyone would be interested. He was very nice, very knowledgeable, and was flipping used ST's. So, he wasn't interested so much in mine... it was still a good meet.

I'll hit the list and dig him up to leave a message. Thanks for the tip!

Bike
2006 ST1300
There is a guy in Spokane who knows these 1100s inside and out. Try reaching out to , if I remember right....okbobw .....on the member list. He can help for sure. I know he has rebuilt many.

ToddC

Hey Todd,

I just met with Dale, and I had the fuel sending unit to get his gas gauge working again.
Hope to find some time to get more riding in this season so would love to hook up on a ride.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Hey Todd,

I just met with Dale, and I had the fuel sending unit to get his gas gauge working again.
Hope to find some time to get more riding in this season so would love to hook up on a ride.
Join us for NEWSTOC second weekend of June....!! See info on active events list on forum home page.
Hope to see you. Todd

OP
OP
Dale_I

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Wow... Bob W... what a class act! I could have hung out and talked for hours. Parts here, parts there, and some more over here, and you could seriously eat a meal off his tool cart it is so clean. Really, you could eat off of just about any surface in his shop. Absolutely gorgeous Triumph he just restored, you can tell he is a talented individual.

Looking forward to some ride time and a chance to meet some more local STOC'ers.

OP
OP
Dale_I

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
OK... Not servicable. Or, at least mine wasn't. There are 3 tangs on the cover that you can bend up to remove it. This reveals the contact points and after cleaning it made absolutely no difference at all.

Nice I got a known good one right here!

Top Bottom