RaceTech dealer recommendations to fix a shock

Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
Just bought a 2008 ST1300. The shock seems to have leaked out, or something inside broke because there is no damping. The previous owner installed a RaceTech Gold Valve in there. I am looking for a RaceTech dealer who rebuilds these shocks and perhaps has the needed seals and parts in stock. Any recommendations? Thank you.

Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
Did RT install a valve to nitro the shock back up? If so, recharge it. A local bike shop probably can do it. Allot of times when the air leaks out....my worry if I ever get my shock rebuilt, because I've had it happen before. Nitro leaks out in a few days. No charge, no rebound....generally speaking. But, are there any oil leaks that you can find?

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
RaceTech in Calfornia had about a 2 day turn around time. Not sure if that has increased with the beginning of riding season. They'll rebuild it for about $200.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I've seen several Racetech rebuilds, that started leaking within a month. You pay your dollar, and you take your chance.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
A friend of mine did....twice already, within a year. He got tired of shipping costs, mailing stuff, and waiting for the return, only to have to do it all over again in a month or two!
The last one I saw, the fitting was screwed crooked into the body of the shock!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
A friend of mine did....twice already, within a year. He got tired of shipping costs, mailing stuff, and waiting for the return, only to have to do it all over again in a month or two!
The last one I saw, the fitting was screwed crooked into the body of the shock!
For the price RT charges your friend must have good reasons for not using the warranty even for a third time and maybe calling the boss and venting a little. As far as cost for a return goes RT refunds the shipping on warranty work but it is a hassle for sure. As far as saving that money then what did your friend do instead of getting it fixed - buy another shock for yet more $?

OP
OP
St. Philip
Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
Did RT install a valve to nitro the shock back up? If so, recharge it. A local bike shop probably can do it. Allot of times when the air leaks out....my worry if I ever get my shock rebuilt, because I've had it happen before. Nitro leaks out in a few days. No charge, no rebound....generally speaking. But, are there any oil leaks that you can find?
Excellent info!

Yes, RT did install a valve. And I do have a nitro tank for suspension work, although I have never used it myself. I am going to give it a try! I wonder whether I even need to remove the shock from the bike now, or I can do it while it is still installed!

The previous owner was unaware of the problem and said he never saw the shock leak.There are no visible oil leaks anywhere, so maybe all the oil is still inside.

Thank you!

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
We installed another OEM shock and went with a heavier spring, then adjusted the preload settings after servicing it and set the damping setting. He is quite happy now.

Last edited:

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I've seen several Racetech rebuilds, that started leaking within a month. You pay your dollar, and you take your chance.
So I'm a bit confused by this statement. Have you seen several RT rebuilt shocks on different bikes fail, or just the same shock on the same bike fail?

Myself and several other members have been using these rebuilt shocks with no issues. This is the first problem that I have heard of. Just trying to clarify the issue here.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Besides my friends bike, I have seen a couple other RT modified shocks fail due to leakage.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Ok, it would be interesting to find out if these were rebuilt in California, or by a licensed service shop.

Besides my friends bike, I have seen a couple other RT modified shocks fail due to leakage.
In the past I have noticed some cupping on my ST front tire. However I'm still quite happy with my 05 ST suspension.

Not to hijack this thread but I was actually considering an after market suspension upgrade for my GL 1800. These scathing reports on RT upgrades is causing me look at alternatives. I've just worn out the first set of tires on the GW but the front tire is severely cupped. Everything I've read blames the soft suspension. Is a heavier fork spring going to help prevent tire cupping on the GL-18. I've also seen after market fork braces but their reviews are about as good as the Race Tech review on this post.

I realize this is not a Goldwing forum but I thought I'd ask.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
If you surf around the GL1800 forum(s) you'll find that the Goldwings suffer from the same preload adjuster (loss/lack of fluid) that the ST's do.
You can remove the rear preload adjuster and open it up and replace the fluid. There are instructions and photos on the GL1800 fourm I believe.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
The bad comment being made here about RaceTech are more about rebuilding a rear OEM shock with RaceTech components. Given that the OEM was not designed to be rebuilt, there may be issues at times. I've never seen a bad one, but I won't argue with those that have.

I've helped about 6-8 members here upgradong the front forks on the ST with RaceTech gold valves and springs with zero issues. They all have been happy with the upgrade.

If your are skeptical about the RaceTech parts, then you can also look at Progressive or Traxxion.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
Well I got my hands on an extra shock. Used my press and took it apart. Was a bit of a problem because I had to work on the shock upside down. There is a C clip that holds the spring in place at the top where the preload adjuster is. AND!!!! Don't forget to take out the 1.5mm set screw.....like I didn't.....but I did compress it again and got it out. I guess you can split the shock and do the "Gold Valves", but then there is the installing an air valve. I did notice towards the bottom on the shock where strut screws in, there is a tiny pin hole about and inch or so from the bottom of the housing. In my infinite wisdom, I'm wondering if the manufacture has a special collar that fit around the bottom of the housing and would allow them to nitro it up, then give the strut a turn of 2 so that the strut oring covers the hole and then they can back off the nitro collar and remove it. It's a thought. Other wise, I see that RT or who ever, puts in their own valve. Only place I can think of, is putting one at the very top of the shock. I'd almost like to see one that has been done.

I went ahead and took a pic of that pin hole. Was closer to the bottom than I thought, but for what it's worth, this is what it looks like.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I went ahead and took a pic of that pin hole. Was closer to the bottom than I thought, but for what it's worth, this is what it looks like.
Thanks for the pic's and info. I just picked up a low mileage oem shock this morning from a local recycler. I will hand it over to my suspension dude to see what kind of a plan we can put together for it. It will likely take a while, as he is moving his shop. But I am getting my forks back from him first,, so that I can continue spring prep's. fyi,,, I stopped in at local RT dealer on the way home,, and he needs $207.cdn to supply a new 21 or 23kg spring,,, (oem is rated at 17kg). Cat'

Top Bottom