Key Won't Turn Ignition Anymore

Bike
2006 ST1300
I'll second that in using WD40 to get a lock to loosen up, you can also use denatured alcohol when you've got to much graphite and the key won't go all the way in. Glad to see you got it working.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
WD-40 is a lubricant with evaporative solvents. Once the solvents evaporate, what remains is basically slightly thick oil. A single application of WD-40 doesn't seem problematic, but repeated applications could possibly build up and get gummy.
WD40 is a water dispersing solvent, it was not intended to be used as a lubricant.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
WD40 is a water dispersing solvent, it was not intended to be used as a lubricant.
From the manufacturer:

Myth: WD-40® Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.

Fact: While the “W-D” in WD-40® stands for Water Displacement, WD-40® Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
WD40 is mostly naptha with a light oil in it, it's not the snake oil they'd like you to believe. It will safely wash out build-up and the small amount of oil left will not be enough lubricant...... agree blow it out with compressed air to get rid of it and what it dissolved.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I know that the WD supposedly stands for "water displacing", but I've tested it on wet metal and I saw no tendency for it to displace water. Like any oil, it just sat on top.

I also tested it by putting some in a cup and letting it sit in a warm place for several weeks. It started out pretty thin and gradually became a slightly thick oil. This is why I assume it may function as a lubricant under the right circumstances.

So, I think WD-40 has its place, but it's value is over-hyped. I don't think I would use it in a lock tumbler, but if followed up with a blast of compressed air, it doesn't seem like it could do much harm either.

OP
OP
Old Ninja
Yeah, I know there are opinions pro and con for WD-40. I always have some denatured alcohol on hand if I think WD-40 isn't appropriate for the use.

In this case, I used sparing amounts of 3-in-1 Lock Dry Lube first followed by compressed air and then a few rounds of light sprays of WD-40 and lots of air. I know some of you might think I've just made a soup in there, but I was careful and I used LOTS of air.

The ignition switch turns smoothly now and if it feels gummy at all, I'll try denatured alcohol. Perhaps if we substitute "solvent" for "WD-40" then one can make one's own solvent choice based on the issue at hand.

And just to be clear, it was recommended initially that I use a "solvent" and I was the one that substituted "WD-40." :)

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Yeah, I know there are opinions pro and con for WD-40. I always have some denatured alcohol on hand if I think WD-40 isn't appropriate for the use.

In this case, I used sparing amounts of 3-in-1 Lock Dry Lube first followed by compressed air and then a few rounds of light sprays of WD-40 and lots of air. I know some of you might think I've just made a soup in there, but I was careful and I used LOTS of air.

The ignition switch turns smoothly now and if it feels gummy at all, I'll try denatured alcohol. Perhaps if we substitute "solvent" for "WD-40" then one can make one's own solvent choice based on the issue at hand.

And just to be clear, it was recommended initially that I use a "solvent" and I was the one that substituted "WD-40." :)
Its starting to sound like the episode of friends, where ross made paste pants in his girlfriends bathroom :rofl1:
dry powder, then moisture = paste :plus1:

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I'm leery of using alcohol anywhere corrosion could be a problem, even pure alcohol is only pure until you open the bottle as it will immediately absorb ambient moisture. That moisture then gets carried in with wherever one puts the alcohol. Denaturing usually applies to ethanol and means small amounts of another alcohol or solvent, usually methanol but often acetone, is added to make it toxic and undrinkable. This does not alter the base alcohol's tendency to absorb moisture though.

I've had good luck with WD-40 on various types of locks. If things start getting gummy, a problem I've not actually experienced, just use a good flush of WD-40 the next time to dissolve and remove the gummy stuff.

Top Bottom