100 mile ride in 80 degree wx, envine heat on legs and crotch verified.

I read about the engine heat prior to buying this bike, and it is indeed a true statement. Anything under 55mph, and i could feel the heat soak on my legs and crotch. So ive been doing some research, and there are two things im considering.

1. Instead of removing inner cowl completely, id like to add a bunch of holes with a hole saw. Does anyone have any pictures of this cowl removed with the holes in it and verified it made a difference? Where would be a good place to put the holes? Id rather not pull the whole thing out in fear of the side cowls floppin around more, and also the need to relocate the oat probe.

2.purchasing the fairing deflector kit. Seems spendy at $200. Also, not sure imlike the look of the black rubber/plastic against the candy apple red. Has anyone painted these fairing deflectors and then istalled them? Any pictures of that?

Thanks.

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Over the last week I did 1200 miles in the Florida heat, 85 to 95 F. Before the trip I had installed the MCL Gen 2 Highway Blades. Being able to put my feet up out of the heat stream made quite a bit of difference.

Also I was wearing an Aerostitch Roadcrafter for most of those miles and while I could feel a bit of heat, the suit blocked a large percentage of it.

Be cool.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Someone posted a pic of his holey cowl (boy is that ripe for a pun) - I'm sorry I don't know where it is on this site, but there are a number of posts about the heat problem. Might even be the same number as oil filter threads (though I doubt it). If you search you will find it. One guy insulated the underside of his fairing and blocked areas where the heat might be rising toward the rider - not something I would do because of the additional work every time you want to work on the bike, but he too posted pics. Another guy used vacuum cleaner parts to creat an air scoop that blew ambient air towards his thighs and farther up. I have found that a bead rider allows cool air circulation under my fundament - and it makes a big difference. Mesh riding clothes might also be a solution.

The heat seems to bother some people and not others. Unfortunately, one guy saying the heat does not bother him does little for you if it is an insurmountable problem. I've installed the air deflectors (which might not be available any more) and they keep me warmer in the winter, and probably warmer in the summer. They do what they say - deflect (cooling) air from the rider so I am not sure they would be a good idea for you. If you go to community (top of this page in the black band) and then click on member map, you can see other ST owners in your area. You might PM them and if someone has a bike with the deflectors he might let you take it for a ride. Not sure how informative this will be because I don't feel the heat unless I'm riding hard and long - as on curvy roads and constantly shifting. Not the kind of riding for a quick test ride on someone else's bike. Long time high speed riding keeps the heat flowing out and away and it doesn't reach me. That's my experience only.

Good luck.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I totally understand your frustration....a beautiful bike which roasts your nether regions! I was dumbfounded to find out how hot it really was- I had read about it as a possibility, but never thought it would be as BAD as it really is!

I tried a bunch of fixes:
1. Remove inner cowl ( did some good, I never put it back in, and use tie-wraps to secure the fairing at those points that the inner cowl used to tie together)
2. Installed an Ivan's FCE.....did no good, not even for the "throttle snatch" problem
3. Tried Don Ferraro's insulation fix- not a bit of good. The only part that worked at all, was blocking heat coming up between the saddle and the tank.
4. Balanced throttle bodies...idles smoother, but no heat dissipation
5. Built homemade "Baker Air Wings"...this helps quite a bit, it pushes air over the "hot" parts of the bike, especially at speed, which makes it cooler at slow speeds.

If you come up with some other ideas/schemes/designs, PLEASE share them with us!

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Just remove your inner cowls. Secure the outers with a couple of zip ties. Same for the sensor. Takes 30 minutes. Feel the results. Maybe try blocking the gap between seat and tank,, as per this picture,,, takes about 10 minutes. If you can't sleep at night with your inner cowls removed,, modify them and reinstall,,, but it won't work as well as removal. Consider the various "Baker style" deflectors,, if still needed. These small simple steps will make a big difference. Cat'

IMG_0911.jpg

OP
OP
Is the removal of the inner able to be done without removing any other fairings? That's how it was on my Cbr anyways. My Rick Mayer seat sits pretty tight to the tank on the top, not so much on the sides.

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
I read about the engine heat prior to buying this bike, and it is indeed a true statement. Anything under 55mph, and i could feel the heat soak on my legs and crotch. So ive been doing some research, and there are two things im considering.

1. Instead of removing inner cowl completely, id like to add a bunch of holes with a hole saw. Does anyone have any pictures of this cowl removed with the holes in it and verified it made a difference? Where would be a good place to put the holes? Id rather not pull the whole thing out in fear of the side cowls floppin around more, and also the need to relocate the oat probe.

2.purchasing the fairing deflector kit. Seems spendy at $200. Also, not sure imlike the look of the black rubber/plastic against the candy apple red. Has anyone painted these fairing deflectors and then istalled them? Any pictures of that?

Thanks.
The fairing deflectors help, if you can find them.

I removed the inner cowls completely and strung together a few zip ties to pull the lower cowls together for rigidity. if you ever need to remover them, cut one zip tie and then add a new one when replacing the lower cowls.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Here is how I modified mine. All of the original fasteners are still used. These can be removed without removing any other parts of the fairing. I modified this set and bought a another set for the cooler months. It does help, but not a cure. Some bikes tend to run much warmer than others. In all of my years on this forum I don't believe that a cause has ever been truly found. Many theories, but no proven facts.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Just curious, what were you wearing for footwear and pants when you first discovered this???

BTW, I'm always riding through Sun Prairie whenever I head over to the good roads in SW Wisconsin via Hwy 19. Also like to stop in for a bite to eat at the Market Street Diner whenever I can...

OP
OP
Just curious, what were you wearing for footwear and pants when you first discovered this???

BTW, I'm always riding through Sun Prairie whenever I head over to the good roads in SW Wisconsin via Hwy 19. Also like to stop in for a bite to eat at the Market Street Diner whenever I can...
Jeans, what I plan to wear every time I ride.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Is the removal of the inner able to be done without removing any other fairings? That's how it was on my Cbr anyways. My Rick Mayer seat sits pretty tight to the tank on the top, not so much on the sides.
You might have to remove the Inner Lower Cowl first, and pop the front most bottom push rivets on the Lower Cowl but that's about it.

The fairing deflectors help, if you can find them.
I did not find this to be a help, because the heat that I felt was coming from the tank, seat, and sides of the bike where my thighs landed.

I found a Bead Rider to help better than anything.
Absolutely! This helped because it allows some air to circulate between you and the heat source. Perhaps Bead Rider should make these with two sizes of beads, regular, and golf balls for more ventilation :bow1:

OP
OP
Here is how I modified mine. All of the original fasteners are still used. These can be removed without removing any other parts of the fairing. I modified this set and bought a another set for the cooler months. It does help, but not a cure. Some bikes tend to run much warmer than others. In all of my years on this forum I don't believe that a cause has ever been truly found. Many theories, but no proven facts.

Thanks for the picture to use as reference. So are there two uppers, one each side? Your picture is one side? Then also a lower piece? If I could reduce the heat in half it would be fine.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I alway wear textile overpants, over my jeans every time I ride, regardless of the weather. The ONLY time I noticed the heat was the one trip, when I didn't wear the overpants. I guess that I'm wearing the insulation, instead of putting it on the bike.

Ride Safe
John

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Thanks for the picture to use as reference. So are there two uppers, one each side? Your picture is one side? Then also a lower piece? If I could reduce the heat in half it would be fine.
Yes this is the right side. It has a slightly different opening to retain the mounting point for the ambient air sensor. These cover from the inside of the upper fairing pockets, all the along the radiator, and down to the triangle piece that covers the clutch housing.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Baker Wings. Best $150.00 I ever spent on my bike.
I am no fan of the heat. Don't ask me how they work in July or August. That's not riding season for me.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Yes I have. They do nothing for the lower leg heat, but help with turbulence for a passenger. They actually redirect the air to make it hotter. I only run them in the spring or fall, or if we are riding 2 up for a long distance.

Here is a before and after pic of my inner coals.

Bike
05 ST1300A
STOC #
I too went with the baker wings and found them to work perfectly fine. The added bonus of reversing them when its cold out was pretty nice too. I don't care for the look but I love the function. I wear over pants and good boots and was roasting above what I considered normal for even California Central Valley temps when I was rolling through there 4-5 times last summer.

Top Bottom