100 mile ride in 80 degree wx, envine heat on legs and crotch verified.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Get yourself some mylar bubble wrap and line the underside of the riders seat with a double layer. Works for me. My experience is most of the felt hear comes from this area.

Believe it or not, my old VFR 800 put out more heat in traffic than the ST.

IMHO Baker Wings are butt-ugly. Also, I have an aversion to drilling holes in fairing pieces or removing them. They are there for a reason.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
That's it. Mine has been there for years. Rode through Kansas in 106 degrees last summer. it sucked, but sucked less with the mylar.
Be advised this stuff is conductive.

Bike
2004 ST1300
Some say that ceramic coating headers help about 40%....I don't know... mine is border line on needing an intervention or not. I may get the headers done...seems to make sense at least...

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Yes I have (used the CalSci Under Mirror Wings). They do nothing for the lower leg heat, but help with turbulence for a passenger. They actually redirect the air to make it hotter. I only run them in the spring or fall, or if we are riding 2 up for a long distance.
Good to know. Thanks.

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Some say that ceramic coating headers help about 40%....I don't know... mine is border line on needing an intervention or not. I may get the headers done...seems to make sense at least...
While the heat doesn't bother me, I was toying with using header wrap. Mainly because when I was working on the bike and had it running with the fairings off, in the garage, I saw how hot the headers get, they were glowing. Granted, this was static with no airflow to cool them, but dang!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I read about the engine heat prior to buying this bike, and it is indeed a true statement. Anything under 55mph, and i could feel the heat soak on my legs and crotch. So ive been doing some research, and there are two things im considering.

1. Instead of removing inner cowl completely, id like to add a bunch of holes with a hole saw. Does anyone have any pictures of this cowl removed with the holes in it and verified it made a difference? Where would be a good place to put the holes? Id rather not pull the whole thing out in fear of the side cowls floppin around more, and also the need to relocate the oat probe.

2.purchasing the fairing deflector kit. Seems spendy at $200. Also, not sure imlike the look of the black rubber/plastic against the candy apple red. Has anyone painted these fairing deflectors and then istalled them? Any pictures of that?

Thanks.
Email sent :call:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
While the heat doesn't bother me, I was toying with using header wrap. Mainly because when I was working on the bike and had it running with the fairings off, in the garage, I saw how hot the headers get, they were glowing. Granted, this was static with no airflow to cool them, but dang!
So you want to wrap them and contain the heat, and make them hotter? :rofl1:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Ozzie said:
But yes, it does actually work......
It does but it can be damaging to the headers. I'd lean towards internal ceramic coating. More expensive but probably a better solution. The cat could be a problem though.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
It does but it can be damaging to the headers. I'd lean towards internal ceramic coating. More expensive but probably a better solution. The cat could be a problem though.
I've had mine wrapped for about 6 years with no issues so far. It did help some with the heat issue.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Don't be surprised when you find your headers rusted and damaged under the wrap. They tend to trap water and rust and pit in no time.

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Switch to diesel oil , run a cooler plug, do a TB Sync.
Leave the foil for baking stuff and the hole damage for rodents.
I can ride my bike in 113 degree temps with short cargo pants, ankle socks, and sneakers, and don't have enough heat to complain about.

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
The very few times I have worn jeans, the heat blasts through. With riding pants, no problem. My $.02.

Greg

Bike
2003 ST1300 ABS
I have seen a couple of posts about the Deflector Kits not being available in the USA, but I checked with my local Honda Dealer and they said they are still available but back ordered until the end of May. They are more expensive up here but with the 35 % exchange rate you would save a lot of money. ( relatively speaking ) Both Kits are about $500 total CDN less the exchange rate.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Not counting shipping and possible import duties that's about what both sets would cost here in US$ or maybe a little more.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I alway wear textile overpants, over my jeans every time I ride, regardless of the weather. The ONLY time I noticed the heat was the one trip, when I didn't wear the overpants. I guess that I'm wearing the insulation, instead of putting it on the bike.
I've kind of found the same thing. I typically am wearing mesh overpants over jeans. I find the normal waterproof overpants too hot - retaining too much moisture. But the last few hot trips I've been wearing mesh over shorts - and that was getting literally painful at +100F temperatures. So I took to wrapping aluminized bubble insulation around my shins - did wonders!

So I think I need to rethink my hot weather riding gear.

Bike
2015 K1600 GTL E
I have done the Don Ferraro's fix. It has worked for in our Southeast WI weather. Could of used that in April and early May this year. Try it, you always rip the foil off again. The stuff is cheap. As far as cutting away a portion of the inner upper cowls, so what. It brings cooler air into the engine area. I tried just drilling holes at first. Not as effective as doing the cutout as Don had did.

Top Bottom