Changing Brake & Clutch Levers

Bike
ST1300
Thinking of getting a set of the coloured brake & clutch levers off of eBay for my blue 2001 ST.there priced at £53 so my first question is has anyone on here changed there's to this type & my second question is if I went down this route are they difficult to change? The reason for my question is it would be nice to have an adjuster on the brake lever

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I changed mine a few weeks ago. No problem changing them out. It's only one screw and a lock nut. Out comes the screw (pivot) and the lever comes right off. Reverse it to install the new lever. Replaced both of mine for a set of adjustables I picked up off of ebay.

Last edited:

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
I did mine a while back and got the adjustable for both sides. Take off the lock nuts. Pull the screw. Take out old lever and put in new lever. Make sure you aline the push rod inside both master cylinder housing. Put screw back in snug. Tighten lock nuts. Don't over tighten or it makes lever hard to pull.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
Depending on who made the clutch lever you may need to make adjustments to clearances for the little switch.
After install
Start the Bike and put it in gear. Keep it in gear and turn off the bike. Kick stand up
If you can pull in the clutch and start the bike all is good. If you have to shift to neutral before the bike lets you start, the clearance between the clutch lever and the little switch needs to be adjusted. This assumes the little switch is already working. If in question do the little test before switching levers.

OP
OP
Rocky ST
Bike
ST1300
Thanks guys good info. So a couple of you have already swapped out the levers. The ones I've been looking at are £53 now I don't mind paying that for quality levers,but did anyone get any cheaper ones that work properly?
thanks again

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Thanks guys good info. So a couple of you have already swapped out the levers. The ones I've been looking at are £53 now I don't mind paying that for quality levers,but did anyone get any cheaper ones that work properly?
thanks again
Mine were $20 USD, look, feel, work great. Blue color like my bike.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I've bought a few sets of cheap Chinese levers from eBay (usually around $20/set) and never had a fit or function issue on any of my bikes. Just make sure that you get the ones for your specific bike as there are some subtle variations especially with the brake side.

OP
OP
Rocky ST
Bike
ST1300
Sorry to sound like a PITA guys here guys but looking on eBay there's a lot of Honda CBR,Kawasaki ZX & Suzuki GSXR levers from China that also state fits the ST1100 for around £30 does this sound right or should I shell out like £55 and get the ones specifically stating they fit the ST11 in the title ?
sorry for the questions but I just don't want to buy a set that going to make the bike not safe to ride!

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Sorry to sound like a PITA guys here guys but looking on eBay there's a lot of Honda CBR,Kawasaki ZX & Suzuki GSXR levers from China that also state fits the ST1100 for around £30 does this sound right or should I shell out like £55 and get the ones specifically stating they fit the ST11 in the title ?
sorry for the questions but I just don't want to buy a set that going to make the bike not safe to ride!
Go for the $10 as long as they are the adjustable ones you want. Molded metal is better that the pot metal the stock ones are made of.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rocky ST
Bike
ST1300
Thanks David but I have searched eBay uk & eBay.com but just can't find the ones your on about,even going upto $25?

OP
OP
Rocky ST
Bike
ST1300
Don't want to sound ungrateful here,but had a look on eBay uk & ebay.com but still can't find the ones I need,any chance of a link? Mines a 2000 ABS model. Any help very much appreciated

Top Bottom