New ST ?

Is there any credible information regarding an updated ST from Honda or other sources? Being that the sport-touring market is such a limited one, Honda may not deem it viable to go thru the expensive R&D to bring out a new model? I sold my '93 ST1100 a few years ago (after 21 years of ownership), as I could longer get comfortable on it, and the weight was becoming an issue for this 65 year-old rider. I've gone to a Yamaha V-Star 1300, but miss the old ST. Considering a BMW semi water-cooled RT, or a Yamaha FJR 1300. Had considered a ST1300 but for rider heat issues from the engine, and overall weight, even tho it claims to be 50lbs lighter. Would be great if Honda kept the 4 in a new gen ST, but got the weight down to maybe around 650lbs wet. Just sayin'.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Wikipedia : " Motor Cycle News reported in 2009 that Honda would replace the ST1300 with a new touring bike powered by a V4 engine mounted transversely, similar to the Honda VFR1200F layout. In 2011, Honda announced that development of the next generation Pan European motorcycle was on hold. "

https://www.google.com/search?q=Honda+VFR1200F&oq=Honda+VFR1200F&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.3687j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

VFR is quite a bit more HP , I would guess less mpg , but I still prefer the ST engine layout for valve maintenance , mpg , balancers , lack of extra 90° gearbox @ the transmission.

Last edited:
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I've never really had an issue with the heat on the '13. Does is get hot on my legs? Sure, I just accepted it, I don't ride in shorts anyway.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
major domo said:
Is there any credible information regarding an updated ST from Honda or other sources?
Already answered above so:

major domo said:
Being that the sport-touring market is such a limited one, Honda may not deem it viable to go thru the expensive R&D to bring out a new model?
Bingo! Change the ? to an ! and you've expressed the same sentiment from far more learned people than me. That point is made every time the subject comes up yet the "why doesn't Honda..." "what are they thinking/smokin..." posts persist. It's all about the Benjamins. ROI.

I'd like to see many if not all of the same feature requests on a new ST but I feel safe it saying it ain't gonna happen! Honda could give us much of what we want but there just aren't enough of us wanting a new ST. Even if every ST marched in and Honda though it was a movement... Just not enough.

I'm actually pretty happy with the ST as is except for the weight and high CG. My buddy notes that his NTH R1200GS has a noticeably higher CG than his GW. Except that it's a physically much larger bike (as in taking up my parking space) I'd opine the F6B might be more manageable for me than the ST.

A white or yellow F6... :grin:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Maybe the VFR1200X is the "new ST"? How similar are the two motors?

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
too bad Honda doesn't run ctx 1300 production for say 6 months and st 1300 production the other 6 months
Then there'd be a lot of unsold inventory. Production is based on demand, not the other way around.

--Mark

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
I don't see honda in the ST market for a long time. The dual purpose ADV bike is now the darling of the various factories. They have won the day.

BMW will always keep their presence in sport touring, kind of ironic it was their GS that started the wave dual purpose bikes. They are capable street bikes and good off road bikes. I'm not going off road because I like speed and miles a sport tourer delivers.

With Honda leaving the field, they have conceded their share of the segment over to Yamaha and Kawaksaki for a guy wanting a Asian ST bike. But the ST 1300 will be here for a long time. I suggest any of y'all who really like the 1300 to go buy a 2nd while you still can, good units (and maybe a few new) are still out there.

Bike
2006 St1300
Is there any credible information regarding an updated ST from Honda or other sources? Being that the sport-touring market is such a limited one, Honda may not deem it viable to go thru the expensive R&D to bring out a new model? I sold my '93 ST1100 a few years ago (after 21 years of ownership), as I could longer get comfortable on it, and the weight was becoming an issue for this 65 year-old rider. I've gone to a Yamaha V-Star 1300, but miss the old ST. Considering a BMW semi water-cooled RT, or a Yamaha FJR 1300. Had considered a ST1300 but for rider heat issues from the engine, and overall weight, even tho it claims to be 50lbs lighter. Would be great if Honda kept the 4 in a new gen ST, but got the weight down to maybe around 650lbs wet. Just sayin'.
Wow, I could have written this same post. I now have a 06 ST1300 and a 13 XVS1300. I too am searching for another ST type. Due to being vertically challenged I'm considering a K1600 or a Trophy ES. I have driven the FJR a lot and the far forward lean is to much. Not sure a set of Helibars would fix it. The cost of the K1600 and weight might be prohibitive. I don't see many choices out there.

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
Crossbrowne said-

"I don't see many choices out there."

I think you have to look at the new RT, it is by consensus the best sport tourer going.

Bike
2006 St1300
Never looked at the RT. That price is reasonable and it has a lot of options. I'm going to try and find a test ride some time soon.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'm not a BMW fan but I have to say the electric center stand is very trick!

Bike
2005 ST1300
I suggest any of y'all who really like the 1300 to go buy a 2nd while you still can, good units (and maybe a few new) are still out there.
Last summer I came across a new unsold ST13 in Kingston ON. It was whatever the final year was, '13? Dealer was still asking full msrp for it. I wish I'd had the money. Honda are still selling the ST1300 over in Europe (or at least they were up to 2016). Seeing as there havn't been any redesigns or changes, there should have been zero R&D costs for the bike in that time. IMO, it would be a prudent business move to bring the bike back out but at it's original price point or even a little less, say $14,000 CAN. There are a lot of riders (like myself) who would love a brand new sport touring bike but can't afford the $18,500 CAN for a new FJR and would be willing to go without the latest gadgets like cruise control or multilevel traction control or even factory heated grips for the $4,000-$5,000 in savings.

Nobody ever mentions the Trophy SE. That's one I would absolutely be checking into if I were in the market for a new sport touring bike.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I really like the Trophy, but until some get to the 7ish year old point, they won't be in my price range. The other thing that would hold me back is the lack of dealer support here in Canada. The nearest dealer to me is an hour away and then after that the next one is 4hrs away. Many of the smaller shops in my area don't like to work on many of the Euro bikes as they sometimes need special tools designed by the company to work on them and often they have to go through a dealership to get parts and that raises the price of the repair. I much prefer Japanese bikes just for the fact that literally any shop can get parts for them overnight and know how to work on them.

Top Bottom