New ST ?

OP
OP
Thanks for all the input. I agree that a new ST is more than likely not in Honda's future line-up, unfortunatley! I recently rented a 2011 FJR 1300 for 24 hours, and it's a nice ride. Oodles of power, great handling, feels light in the twisties. Seat, not so good, but I've always had problems with OEM seats after about an hour or so. Curiously, the seat was more comfortable as the day wore on, but I did take many breaks, and that was probably a big factor. The slight lean forward for me (at 5'10") could be dealt with by installing a 1 inch riser. The knee bend to the footpegs is similar to my former '93 ST1100; my left knee would get sore on the ST after an all day ride, but this didn't happen on the FJR. Bags are smaller inside than they look. A bit top-heavy, like most in-line 4's, but less than the ST. FJR reliabilty is a given. Also road friend's '09 BMW R1200RT: lower center of gravity and 30lbs lighter than FJR makes for great handling, esp. at parking lot speeds, plenty of power (but not as much as the rocket FJR!), more upright seating position, huge bags and big (optional) trunk, bullet-proof engine. I'm now leaning towards a used 2014 RT (first year for partial water cooling), due to better comfort right off the bat, lower CG, less overall weight, and bigger bags. But, they do not come cheap: $14-15,000. Equivalent FJR would be several thousand's less.

Top Bottom