How cold-blooded is the ST?

Bike
2008 ST1300
Trying to fire up the bike for the first time after winter storage...doesn't seem to want to fire off. Since this is my first de-winterizing of this bike (was new-to-me in spring of last year), and knowing that Honda bikes can be a bear to start for the first time, how much does it take to fire it up for the first time after an extended rest?

I did skin the tupperware to replace the headlights, marker lights, and signal lights to LED (removed the upper cowl and headlight for practice in skinning and make it easier to access the back of the headlight assembly). I believe I have everything connected back up, but I thought I'd ask before tearing it back down just to find out it takes a bit of cranking to get it fired up!

Any input is welcome. Was hoping to get out for quick ride tomorrow, but if I have to skin it again that won't be happening.

Thanks in advance!

Luke

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Never had to crank more than 10 to 15 seconds........I run premium fuel though......

ToddC

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Make sure the battery is well topped off for charge. Sometimes a low charge will turn the engine over but not fire. But then, if running the starter for a while and it didn't seem to run down the battery that may not be it. Just a thought. I have basically the same engine but ride all year here in central Iowa so mine doesn't sit more than a week or two at the most without starting up.

Bike
ST1300 2012
After a long rest, like over the winter, I usually turn the key on, let the fuel pump come up to pressure and then turn it off.... Then again ... On the third time I hit the starter button and it fires up after just a quick crank.

good luck!

Bike
2004 ST1300
This is exactly what I have found also. As long as the battery was charged it starts with the same amount of crank time regardless of how long it has been or the temp. It always takes a couple revolutions to start hot or cold. It doesn't ever fire off instantly with just a "bump" of the start button, but even after months of off season storage it starts the same after waiting for the fuel pump prime cycle.
Always a good idea to test start something immediately after maintainence work.

OP
OP
Coolhand
Bike
2008 ST1300
Thanks, guys. That confirms my suspicion...I'm thinking I either missed a plug when putting it back together, or put the tipover sensor back in upside down. :rolleyes: Dangit...back into the Tupperware I go! LOL

I kept it on a battery tender over the winter in a heated garage. Figured I wouldn't have any problems getting it started, but wanted to ask. Pump seems fine, kill switch is working properly (verified it won't roll when the switch is in the off position), turns over normally...just not firing off. Tried multiple times but won't go. Thinking I just missed something. First time skinning the bike, it's bound to happen. Newb. Heh heh...

Last edited:
Bike
07 ST1300
I wonder what you could do wrong to make the bike not start. I have had my tupperware off a couple of times. Don't know what could not gotten connected ect. Anyone?
I guess it's not getting fire. Hmm

Bike
2005 & 2006 St 1300
STOC #
Can you hear the fuel pump when you turn on the ignition? if like you said you installed the tip over sensor upside down which is real easy to do, I know I've done it then you will not hear fuel pump nor get any spark. Good luck.

RCS

An ounce or two of water has probably separated from the ethanol in the gasoline and is now sitting at the very bottom of your secondary gas tank where the fuel pump sources fuel. Add Seafoam to the gas - 2 ounces per gallon. Shake the bike up good. Wait about 15 minutes. Start it up!

OP
OP
Coolhand
Bike
2008 ST1300
Finally got back to it (I hate when life gets in the way...). UPDATE - yup, it was the bank sensor being installed upside down.

I now realize why I did it, too...with the sensor installed in the correct orientation, the wiring comes out of the top of the unit, making the wiring too short to rest the upper cowl on the fender when reconnecting. The inverted installation seemed more "natural". Usually with Honda there is a "feel" to the parts, where you can just about tell what goes where. The correct orientation makes installation awkward, inverted it's a piece of cake.

Lesson learned. Once it was correct, bike rolled over twice and fired right up.

Thanks everyone for your input!

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Congrats on finding the simple solution. I actually had a really difficult time starting my wife's Metropolitan scooter after filling the tank at the station and ended up pushing it home (about a mile). Took it almost totally apart trying to find the problem and then as I was standing up one time inadvertently put my hand on the right control cluster and turned off the kill switch... DUH! that was the problem.

An ounce or two of water has probably separated from the ethanol in the gasoline and is now sitting at the very bottom of your secondary gas tank where the fuel pump sources fuel. Add Seafoam to the gas - 2 ounces per gallon. Shake the bike up good. Wait about 15 minutes. Start it up!
Actually it is gas that separates from water, the alcohol in ethanol *absorbs" any water and keeps it in suspension in the tank and carries it out (does not separate- basic chemistry) and if there was any separation it would be due to the gas component and that there was too much water for the alcohol component to absorb. And if there were a water issue in the tank then there is another issue totally separate from the fuel that needs addressed (tank seals defective? angry neighbor flooding your tank?). Seafoam is good to use once in a while anyway just to keep things right.

OP
OP
Coolhand
Bike
2008 ST1300
Honda was kind enough to include a marking on the part so you know which way it goes:

bas.png

--Mark
Yup, but while holding a box wrench in one hand, a philips screwdriver in the other, balancing the cowl on my thigh, that little "up" mark is tough to see. :rolleyes: Simple mistake for the first time removing the tupperware. The wiring is almost too short for the correct position...that's why I initially put it in upside down. Won't make that mistake twice. :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coolhand
Bike
2008 ST1300
Congrats on finding the simple solution. I actually had a really difficult time starting my wife's Metropolitan scooter after filling the tank at the station and ended up pushing it home (about a mile). Took it almost totally apart trying to find the problem and then as I was standing up one time inadvertently put my hand on the right control cluster and turned off the kill switch... DUH! that was the problem.
I've had that happen before too, especially on a new bike or someone else's ride. The brain goes into panic mode trying to diagnose what could have happened...starter relay failure, broken connection, blown fuse/breaker, etc. Usually the easiest solution is the correct one. Flip the switch back! =)

Top Bottom