About the Anti-Dive

Bike
Suzuki Burgman 400
How do I determine if mine is working properly? The previous owner (po) told me he thought it was bad or going bad. All I can tell you is under medium to hard braking the front end shakes pretty bad. I thought this might be the rotors but they look pretty true. I do have the Honda shop manual just was wondering if anyone had done this repair? Little mention of anti-dive in the search.

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
I replaced the rubber (parts 24,46 & 47 on the front fork fiche) for my anti-dive piston when I replaced the fork springs and fork oil. After 60k miles the oil looked like mud. I've changed the oil a second time and now the bike have 110+k miles with the original seals. I also replaced the brake rotors with Delkevic rotors from Ebay because they were less than the thickness specification stamped on the rotor.

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
How do I determine if mine is working properly? The previous owner (po) told me he thought it was bad or going bad. All I can tell you is under medium to hard braking the front end shakes pretty bad. I thought this might be the rotors but they look pretty true. I do have the Honda shop manual just was wondering if anyone had done this repair? Little mention of anti-dive in the search.
If you have shaking under braking, it is most likely one or both rotors are warped. You would also feel a pulsing in the brake lever. The anti dive mechanism, if not working, wouldn't cause this, but you would likely notice a much larger than normal compression of the forks under a hard brake. You would not be able to see a warp in a rotor. Just being warped out of shape by a few thousands of an inch could be noticeable by feel in the lever.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Good info from Mike and ForeST. I rebuilt my anti-dive like Mike when I found a piece of the piston's seal lip in the bottom of the left fork slider during a fork seals R&R. I recommend every high mileage ST1100 have its anti-dive disassembled and inspected, FWIW.

John :STOC: Ten Fifty-Eight

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
The antidive is intended to slow the fork dive under hard braking. As stated above, I doubt that would cause a front end shake under brakes, but a bent rotor certainly will. The disc runout can be checked with a dial indicator gauge clamped to the fork leg, maximum allowed in the spec is 0.3mm.

The antidive is activated by the left caliper swinging forward on its pivoted mount, which pushes a piston valve inside the fork leg and closes off the compression damping bypass. There is a spring holding the piston valve normally open, and while stiff you should be able to see some movement by pushing with your hand. There should be no external oil leaks.

OP
OP
Bike
Suzuki Burgman 400
Wow, OK I was wrong. The right rotor (the one on the other side of the anti-dive mech.) is warped. So bad you can see it just by rotating the wheel. Am I crazy just to replace the one side or should I do both? I've never purchased anything on eBay before so can I really get quality rotors? The price on these things (the rotors) is crazy expensive. I need guidance.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
If the other rotor looks in good shape and you are sure it isn't also warped, just replacing one should be OK, but also put in new pads all round. Can't comment on the quality of aftermarket.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
Wow, OK I was wrong. The right rotor (the one on the other side of the anti-dive mech.) is warped. So bad you can see it just by rotating the wheel. Am I crazy just to replace the one side or should I do both? I've never purchased anything on eBay before so can I really get quality rotors? The price on these things (the rotors) is crazy expensive. I need guidance.
Is there a chance the rotors are just slightly mis-mounted? ie not actually flat to the mating wheel surface.

OP
OP
Bike
Suzuki Burgman 400
Ya know Slydynbye, I guess there is that chance. I'll check that out. Take the wheel off, remove the rotor, maybe rotate it 180 degrees and put it back together with specified torque. Oh, and I did find some EBC rotors on ebay for around $105.00 each. That beats the heck out of $241.00 each for OEM rotors. Hey mcthorogood, how are those Delkevic rotors holding up? I assume you replaced the pads while you were in there? What brand of pads did you go with? Thanks for the help gentlemen (and I use that term loosely).

Bike
st1100
just out of interest how do you check your anti dive is working .when i got mine it hardly dived but now she seems to dive a lot more under braking .:eek: thanks :bow1:

OP
OP
Bike
Suzuki Burgman 400
If your kidding Slydynbye your a funny guy. I was just talking about spinning the rotor 180 degrees. Still looking at new rotors. Still think the prices are way to high. What did you pay for yours mcthorogood if I might ask? Haven't seen that brand on ebay. A lot of the one for sale on ebay state they are for the VT1100 but say they will fit the ST1100. They are different part numbers on Hondas web site so how could that be?

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
I replaced the rubber (parts 24,46 & 47 on the front fork fiche) for my anti-dive piston when I replaced the fork springs and fork oil. After 60k miles the oil looked like mud. I've changed the oil a second time and now the bike have 110+k miles with the original seals. I also replaced the brake rotors with Delkevic rotors from Ebay because they were less than the thickness specification stamped on the rotor.

Mike -

What about #25 the Piston Case Boot? Is that rubber or metal?

Ray

The antidive is intended to slow the fork dive under hard braking. As stated above, I doubt that would cause a front end shake under brakes, but a bent rotor certainly will. The disc runout can be checked with a dial indicator gauge clamped to the fork leg, maximum allowed in the spec is 0.3mm.

The antidive is activated by the left caliper swinging forward on its pivoted mount, which pushes a piston valve inside the fork leg and closes off the compression damping bypass. There is a spring holding the piston valve normally open, and while stiff you should be able to see some movement by pushing with your hand. There should be no external oil leaks.
Hi ,
Is the anti dive significant to stop fork dip..My old vf400 had veriable antidive and it worked a treat.
My st 11 on the other hand , notice nothing it dips ..its done 30k so would not expect to strip it just yet..

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
just out of interest how do you check your anti dive is working...
I think it's kind of impossible for an average ST 1100 owner to make an objective evaluation of how well the anti-dive system is working, or whether it is working at all. I think the only way such an evaluation could be made would be to test ride your motorcycle, then immediately test-ride another ST 1100 that is known to have a fully-functional and properly operating anti-dive system. Even then, it would be tough because you would only have one or two seconds (during the application of forceful front wheel braking) to observe the effects of the anti-dive system.

I rebuild my anti-dive system every 10 years. It's not expensive or difficult to do, I just replace all the components that are subject to deterioration, and at the same time, thoroughly flush out the front fork system and replace any front fork components that are worn. Although I think the whole front fork system works better after this work is completed, it's still very difficult to describe what "before and after" is like, because several days pass between the last ride before the rebuild, and the first ride after all the work is done.

Michael

I think it's kind of impossible for an average ST 1100 owner to make an objective evaluation of how well the anti-dive system is working, or whether it is working at all. I think the only way such an evaluation could be made would be to test ride your motorcycle, then immediately test-ride another ST 1100 that is known to have a fully-functional and properly operating anti-dive system. Even then, it would be tough because you would only have one or two seconds (during the application of forceful front wheel braking) to observe the effects of the anti-dive system.

I rebuild my anti-dive system every 10 years. It's not expensive or difficult to do, I just replace all the components that are subject to deterioration, and at the same time, thoroughly flush out the front fork system and replace any front fork components that are worn. Although I think the whole front fork system works better after this work is completed, it's still very difficult to describe what "before and after" is like, because several days pass between the last ride before the rebuild, and the first ride after all the work is done.

Michael
Thanks for that Micheal,
I suppose the other aspect is that the pan with its 700+ weight ain't going to sit pretty pulling up full on and is in no way the same as my first bike with anti dive , which I have to say you could notice immediately when adjusted from soft the hard .And less than half the weight of the pan.
Certainly going to look at a strip down at some point as it is a 19yr old ,so a wise move from what you say . No service history to say fork oils etc changed..

Pete.

Top Bottom