Early timing belt change?

Bike
99 ST 1100 ABS/TCS
Hi. I just got a 1999 St1100 with 36 000km on the clock.
It has been serviced regularly by the original owner (one owner bike)
I know there's lots of threads about timing belt change. But I'll ask anyway.
The service schedule don't ask for a timing belt change before long.
But I was thinking perhaps it should be changed anyway since it,s 18 years old.

Any advice would be appreaciated.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
If it bothers you then change it.

I went 118,000 on the '01 and the '93 was changed at 100,000.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I replaced the timing belt on my 1998 at 80K miles last year. The original belt still looked like new. I wouldn't worry about age deteriorating the belt.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I bought a 1991 with just 17300 miles on it. It had been sitting in the PO's garage most of the previous 20 years. So, I remove all the plastic and cleaned, inspected, adjusted and lubed everything. Since I was going to check the valve clearances, I went ahead and bought a new timing belt.
The old belt looked new, had no scuffs, there were no 'rubber' particles or dust in the housing. It was just as pliable as the new one and did not appear to have stretched.
Probably all I bought with the extra effort is a little peace of mind.

OP
OP
Bike
99 ST 1100 ABS/TCS
Thank u. I'ĺl give it a couple of more years. Everything else on the bike appears to be as new anyway.

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
At 100 K Miles ( 91 ST11 ) the belt I pulled looked almost as good as the new Honda one going in. Saw barely any wear AT ALL !?!? But, I'd rather have a new one in there at that mileage, than have the old one snap on the road somewhere.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
For peace of mind, it's pretty easy to just remove the Timing Hole Cover below the radiator and inspect the belt. Pull the plugs and rotate the crank to view the whole length if you're anal retentive like me. :)

I replaced my timing belt with OEM belts at 90K and again at 180K. No real sign of wear.

Regards, John

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I figured I'd ask a question on an existing thread vs starting another one:
-I'm awaiting all my stuff from Partzilla for the coolant hoses and all of the other hoses for both bikes. I figure I'm 90% in there for the timing belt access and might as well do it while I'm that close (and the 94 is now 23 going on 24 years old, same with the 2000 being close to 18 years old)- here's the question: Is there really any need for a motorcycle lift to raise it to do the belt? I'm just wondering how difficult the access is essentially sitting on the floor next to the bike vs raising it (the lift I was checking is from Walmart, got 4, 5 star ratings, is rated for 1000 lbs, and lifts the bike 14†(Harbor Freight has one as well for $89 that will lift it 17â€). I'd like to save the $$$ but if it's going to make the job substantially easier, it might be worth the cost. What are opinions regarding this?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
-I’m awaiting all my stuff from Partzilla for the coolant hoses and all of the other hoses for both bikes. I figure I’m 90% in there for the timing belt access and might as well do it while I’m that close
If you're talking about the coolant hoses under the carbs, which I think you are, your premise is not exactly correct. I think you can do all the hoses with the radiator intact, but now I can't remember for sure about the lower one on the left side. For sure the ones under the carbs don't require radiator removal, and the upper one can be done with the rad intact. Perhaps someone else can refresh my memory on that lower one.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Actually, I just meant for access to the timing belt since it’s all dismantled (sorry if I wasn’t clear on that)- the other stuff doesn’t require the bike to be elevated. I just figured I’d do the belt as long as the hoses will be off the radiator and the bike will be drained of coolant (I was going to do all of the hoses, not just the ones under the carbs). It’s just a few extra bolts to get the radiator off and the timing belt cover off, so when in that deep, might as well do it all!

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
To get access into the timing belt you need to remove the front wheel and forks, then the radiator, then the timing belt covers, etc. from the front of the bike. So its a bit more than just a few extra bolts to remove the radiator. That being said, I seem to recall, and have heard others say the same, that the biggest pain of the TB job is actually putting the radiator back in place because of the zero clearance Honda coolant hoses. Getting the required leverage to twist them back into place is more difficult than you'd expect. So, if you decide to pull the radiator to do the hoses, you might be right about continuing on to the TB once the rad is off.

edit: I pulled all the stuff off the front of the bike to have the best access possible into the TB area, without giving it a second thought. Is it possible to sneak in from the side without removing the forks and replace the belt? Has anybody done it that way?

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
The belt R&R can be done with the forks still on, but it’s much more difficult. Why not pull the front end and add fork suspension fluid R&R to the long list you’ve already taken on. Heck, do the 40 amp alternator while it’s all stripped down! And tapered stem bearings/races!!

Edit: wheel bearings, dampers and inserts, calipers rebuild... (?!?!) :)

Any STOC tool kits you want to borrow?

John

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
experience has taught me that you usually spend more time trying to find a clever shortcut than you do just ripping parts off the vehicle until you reach the item of interest with no interference. Professional mechanics I've known agree with that premise.

Top Bottom