Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hastings oil filters

Bike
    '04 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Hastings oil filters

Time for a new oil filter thread. Anyone know anything about the Hastings LF240 filter. I used to buy Purolator filters from a local distributor, but they no longer stock them and offered me the Hastings filter as a replacement, so I installed one. Here's a link to the website. I'm no expert on filter media, by-pass valve specifications, etc. and wonder if someone would care to comment on these American made filters as an option for our STeeds. FWIW they're not on the list of recommended filters on the Calsci oil filter cross-reference page. TIA.
    Barry

Keeping the blue side up.

Bike
    2006 St 1300
    My Gallery

Re: Hastings oil filters

Dash Auto does sell the Purolator filters just incase you are interested. I've heard of Hastings but I know nothing about them.

Bike
    2010 ST1300
    My Gallery

If they are not expensive, you might cut one open and take some pics of the media and construction therein. Some of the filters, I've read, have cardboard ends which, in theory, makes them less strong than filters with metal caps on the ends of the media.

Bike
    ST1300, 2010
    My Gallery

While messy it might be of more value to cut open a used filter after an oil change.

Are there truly bad oil filters among the major brands? Some people are changing their oil and filters at 3K and 5K. At those shorter intervals do cardboard ends matter?

How many engines have failed due to defective filters. The quest for the perfect filter is all well and good but if a filter is good enough is better really better?

Any manufacturer can have a bad run. My only real concern is what is a substandard product and what manufacturer(s) sells it so I can avoid it.
    Don't tell me what I know. Tell me what I don't know.

Ride safe, ride often.

Bike
    2014 FJR1300A
    Tip Overs
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

The cheap Fram 7317 is the only one I know with cardboard ends (not really cardboard but a good filter paper), Calsci did a review years ago and didn't recommend, but Fram did defend themselves. I have cut one open, and had a heck of a time to make any of the adhesives fail..... but, get the better Fram and it is of a more quality construction (metal ends). If you change your filter every 5000 miles what's to worry? That said, I don't use the cheap Fram.

No experience with Hastings, not readily available in these parts.
    Ray

Bike
    ST1300, 2010
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
    but, get the better Fram and it is of a more quality construction (metal ends).
    Which one is that?

Bike
    2014 FJR1300A
    Tip Overs
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by ST Gui View Post
    Which one is that?
    Tough Guard or Ultra Guard. Metal ends, better anti-drain, good relief valve.

Bike
    2004 ST1300
    My Gallery

Years ago one of the better parts stores in town (years before there were Big Box stores) carried Hastings filters almost exclusively. We used them on all our vehicles back then. Don't know if they are still made to a quality standard or not. Never any issues but as stated above, as long as the filter doesn't internally completely fail it probably is doing what it needs to do.
    I run my VW diesel oil filters (various brands/suppliers, mostly the same manufacturer, different box/label) 20K miles and have never seen one begin to fail or clog up. People worry about filter quality way too much.
    "Don't try to confuse me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind"-Foghorn Leghorn

Bike
    2010 ST1300
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
    Tough Guard or Ultra Guard. Metal ends, better anti-drain, good relief valve.
    Good to know. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ST Gui View Post
    Are there truly bad oil filters among the major brands? S.
    All I can say is that some of the guys here have panned Fram filters because of cardboard ends on the media. I've been using Fram exclusively for as long as I've owned cars - having read an article (probably in Consumer Reports) way way back that said they were among the most effective filters out there. Now, I'm not going to argue with anybody about how good Fram filters are vs. Bosch or any other brand, but I have never read of any oil filter recall (they recall peanut butter and hamburg, but not oil filters) and have not read multiple complaints about a specific brand. For the cost, and peace of mind, I use Honda filters on my bike, but believe (catch is belief systems are not evidence based) that any name brand filter changed when you change the oil will protect your engine as designed by Honda.

Bike
    ST1300, 2010
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by SMSW
    All I can say is that some of the guys here have panned Fram filters because of cardboard ends on the media.
    As long as I've been here people have panned one brand of filter or another. But from what I've seen so far the only argument has been what's better with no evidence of poor performance.

So can anybody name a filter that doesn't perform well? As I alluded previously with the short intervals between oil changes super el primo most excellent finest kind filters seem to be overkill. There for the thing to avoid is truly bad filters.

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast