Mounting flags to the back of the 1300

Bike
'04 ST1300 - Blue
Has anyone mounted flags to the back of the ST1300? If so, mind sharing some pics? I'm heading up to Rolling Thunder next week and am hoping to fly a couple of flags along the way.

Thanks
James

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
Ive flown an American flag on my HD for 100k miles, been through several. Was toying with the idea of welding up a bracket for the St1300P, which wouldn't be a problem, but unsure of a mount on the standard ST. I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with.

OP
OP
Cvillechopper
Bike
'04 ST1300 - Blue
Yeh. I can easily weld up something to bolt on the luggage rack but I have the Hondaline Topbox and am hoping to keep it in place since it's an overnight trip. Thinking of a few other options but hoping someone has already figured it out. Why reinvent the wheel, ya know?

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I have an antenna mount that would work for a flag pole. Wouldn't be hard to cobble something up out of an aluminum bar, Mounts underneath the rear rack.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
If it is temporary, I have stuck a flag (one of those car window poles that clip on the window), between the front and back seat. When I rent ST1300s overseas (especially riding out of London), I figure it buys me some measure of forgiveness when I do something stupid in traffic... :D

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Do you have tip over bars just in front of the saddlebags? Hose clamps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Cvillechopper
Bike
'04 ST1300 - Blue
So I decided to go ahead and fab something up. What do you think? Bonus is I'll use this as the start to a set-up for additional lighting.

Also, don't make too much fun of my welds. I had to fit this into one afternoon.

Attachments

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Tread carefully with that thing. Every square inch of wind load you add in that configuration is going to make it apply torque around the rear axle that will take weight off the front wheel. Longer masts give it more leverage and therefore more torque.

--Mark

OP
OP
Cvillechopper
Bike
'04 ST1300 - Blue
I was thinking about that and won't be flying the flags except during events. Still trying to figure out the height of the poles but likely they will be as short as I can make them. Eventually I'll figure out a way for the poles to be disassembled small enough to be stored for travel to and from events. This is likely going to be an iterative solution. Might even have to back-track to get a permanent set-up that looks nice and doesn't have to be pulled off after events but this should get me through next weekend's ride.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Tread carefully with that thing. Every square inch of wind load you add in that configuration is going to make it apply torque around the rear axle that will take weight off the front wheel. Longer masts give it more leverage and therefore more torque.

--Mark
And make it easier to do wheelies.

Mark, any idea why the OP's pics are not much larger than his thumbnails? I'm used to clicking on a thumbnail pic and having it expand much larger. That did not happen here.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Still trying to figure out the height of the poles but likely they will be as short as I can make them.
Good call. I'm not big on putting flags on the rear of anything, but on this bike, I'd put the bottom of the hoists at the same height as the top of the trunk. Much higher and IMHO it starts to cross the line between respectful and gaudy. And let me tell ya, I've lived outside of DC long enough to see plenty of gaudy flag displays around Memorial Day weekend.

--Mark

OP
OP
Cvillechopper
Bike
'04 ST1300 - Blue
And make it easier to do wheelies.

Mark, any idea why the OP's pics are not much larger than his thumbnails? I'm used to clicking on a thumbnail pic and having it expand much larger. That did not happen here.
Probably because I saw the size limit for jpg files and went too far when resizing down. I'll see if I can get a couple larger ones uploaded.

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
If it is temporary, I have stuck a flag (one of those car window poles that clip on the window), between the front and back seat. When I rent ST1300s overseas (especially riding out of London), I figure it buys me some measure of forgiveness when I do something stupid in traffic... :D
yeah it does LOL.

Top Bottom