Engine Vib/Knock

Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
I've had the '08 for about a month now and have about 2k on it. So I'm not totally familiar with this engine. What I feel it like a rhythmic knock running down the road. I feel it in the handlebars mostly. Thought maybe a bearing going bad? Sort of goes with the rotation of the wheel. If I pull in the clutch, I feel nothing. Notice it a little bit more under acceleration too. Even at idle sitting at a light I feel it slightly, so that kinda rules out the wheels or maybe even the drive train. Do these engines have a counter balancer that might give the engine and little dull knock as you ride? Do you all catch what I'm saying? I'm gonna try to ride an '03 tomorrow if it doesn't rain and see if his bike has the same feel. I bought the bike in great condition with 53k on it.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The clutch basket on this bike is known to be a bit noisy if you're sitting in neutral with it engaged. I haven't noticed it as being a problem while underway.

What kind of RPM range do you find yourself in while underway?

--Mark

OP
OP
EA6BMECH
Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
Pretty much all RPM's, but, mostly while under a load however slight. I'll have to wait and ride another one to see if there is a difference.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Start by adjusting the counter balancer adjuster. The engine must be cold. Very simple to do, remove the two clips and two screws in the nose cowl and lift it out of the way. You'll see the adjustment arms on your right side (if you are standing in front of the bike looking towards it) The service manual will instruct you how to do it. Only takes about 10 minutes. There may be an article on it on the forum.
PB blaster, an offset 10 mm box end wrench, and a large blade screw driver is all you'll need.
If this does not fix your noise, check on the right side of the bike (as seated on it) down at the front corner of the engine, and look for signs of coolant stains or leaks.
When the water pump starts to fail, one of the first signs is feeling it in the handlebars as a slight knocking sound.
Hope you CB adjustment is all that is needed.
Igofar

OP
OP
EA6BMECH
Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
Thanks Igofar! The water pump thing has got me worried since next week end I go on a several hundred mile ride, but that is good to know. One of the guys I'll be riding with has done his pump already.

OP
OP
EA6BMECH
Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
Adjusted the CB and that helped on the roll on with the throttle. If I was lugging the engine a little coming out of turns, it eased up on that "lug" feeling. As for the knock, I rode an '06 that did the same thing. Whooshka said he had the TB's synched, and that's when he noticed it. He feels the same thing I do. Didn't get to ride the '03 that was with us. I will also say that the '06 felt smoother in the front end, but Whooshka said when I get my fork oil done.....and I have new bushings to install along with 7.5wt oil, it should smooth out.

Top Bottom