What to do with used tires

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
My recycling service will not take whole tires. So.......I cut them into eights with a reciprocating saw. They seem to have no problem with them after that.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Trash/recycling not allowed here, Mike. I was surprised when the trashman fished mine out of the trash and recycle bin and placed it back at my door with a note. It might be a Colorado thing, but there's a $10 disposal fee each here at a tire shop (maybe slightly different costs at the County landfill). Naturally, I found this out AFTER having a handful of other's tires on hand from changes I'd done for others for free (I now require that the old tire must leave with the motorcyclist for whom I've changed the tire.)

Catdriver, best thing to do is to call and ask your local trash service if they accept them in the trash or recycling. If not, find a shop that will accept them (expect to pay a fee).

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
My recycling service will not take whole tires. So.......I cut them into eights with a reciprocating saw. They seem to have no problem with them after that.
It appears TX also doesn't allow throwing out tires in your trash (or recycling), as they've specific requirements: https://www.tceq.texas.gov/tires/tires-disposal-qa
I'd speculate that it isn't "no problem with them after that", but rather they've not noticed (they're likely watching for whole tires).

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Thanks. It's up to the recycler, apparently. Haven't had any comments since I was told to reduce them. Then again...I don't recycle tires that frequently.

steve3b3

Retired
Bike
2018 GoldWing
I bring mine to the local transfer station in MA.
Cost is $10 per tire, but they seem to be negotiable, and my mc tires were only $5 each.

Steve

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Our county has curbside recycling and allows homeowners to recycle 5 tires per year. Not sure how they keep count. I'm about to move to a different county with different regulations.

Bill

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Why wouldn't they charge the recycling fee when the tire is purchased, I would think it would keep folks from throwing them in the bins of businesses, ditches, empty lots etc.

Gerhard

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I'm not sure, since I haven't changed my own tires for many years now, but I would think you could just take your old tire to your local favorite shop or Discount Tires and pay a modest recycling fee for them to dispose of it in an environmentally friendly manner .That would be less than what it would cost you to have a shop do your tire change, I'm sure. Another thing to consider is the shop may balance the tire for a reasonable charge, unless you have the option to do it yourself.

Top Bottom