Are Saddleman seats as good as they claim?

yuergenb

Biking since 87'
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
I need some some help from those who have had a saddleman seat. I've rode for 30 years and all kinds of metric bikes in that time. I have goldwings and everything down from there that are supposed to be comfortable bikes. Unfortunately, I am sore after about 90 minutes, no matter what bike or seat I ride. My current ST is a 95 and I have a basic corbin seat which I find unbearable after 2 hours. I am 5'8, 180 lbs. Saddleman claims their seats allow you to ride 400% longer. A pretty bold claim, but I will get one if It's even close to that. Does anyone have the same issue as me for comfort and have found the Saddleman a good solution? I cant spend $500-800 on every seat that claims to be great. Hoping the ST community has some experience to offer. Cheers.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've got one of the first Saddleman Gel Seats they made (back when they were custom seats - it has a metal pan). Unless they have improved tremendously over the years, it's about a 300-400 mile seat and the gel gets so hot you can't sit on it if left in the hot sun. I switched to Russell Daylong and never looked back. If you get just the front built by Russell, go with vinyl and no backrest or heat, it runs about $450-$500 USD IIRC.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
On my 1100, the stock seat is good for about 30 minutes. Any of the 4 "hard as a rock" Corbin's I've sat on was good for about 60 minutes. The Travelcade Saddleman is good for about 300 miles. It also has the gel pad Phil mentioned. I don't remember the specific seat heat while riding but it may have contributed to the general heat. It does get very hot setting in the sun parked! My choice for comfort is the Russell Daylong. I have forgotten the miles (about 200K) and years (about 15). After all that, it is ready for a rebuild. I live in Florida and do not cover it in the sun or rain.

Last edited:

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I bought a Russel Day Long seat last October and have only used it now about 10 times so far this summer. So far so good. Rode for 3 hrs one day and did OK with a bad back which is why I bought it. I'll try longer runs this summer. I was convinced to get the Russel from all the positive comments on this site. Try a Russel seat and enjoy the all day long comfort.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had a Saddlemen Stealth seat with the gel pack on my old ST1100. Started with the stock seat and then switched to the Saddlemen. I could only ride at most 2 hours on the stock seat, and only another half hour on the Saddlemen seat. I did feel the gel pack get a little hotter than the stock seat but not really bad for me. If I had to do it again I'd spend a little more than I did and get the RDL as I've always heard and read they really do the trick for LD riding.

With the bike I now have I really don't feel the need to upgrade the seat since I've been able to triple the miles or more on my CTX1300 stock seat compared with any other seat on any bike I've owned (made the ride to NATSTOC a few years ago 660 miles same day and didn't feel the need to stop yet). Just had to throw that in there, I know this doesn't help the question. But if any seat can do that I'd be happy with it (and I am currently). :)

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
There's only one choice Yuergen - get the best and get a Russell. You won't regret the money spent this time. Then Joanne will want one for my . . . . er . . . her bike too! :D

I need some some help from those who have had a saddleman seat. I've rode for 30 years and all kinds of metric bikes in that time. I have goldwings and everything down from there that are supposed to be comfortable bikes. Unfortunately, I am sore after about 90 minutes, no matter what bike or seat I ride. My current ST is a 95 and I have a basic corbin seat which I find unbearable after 2 hours. I am 5'8, 180 lbs. Saddleman claims their seats allow you to ride 400% longer. A pretty bold claim, but I will get one if It's even close to that. Does anyone have the same issue as me for comfort and have found the Saddleman a good solution? I cant spend $500-800 on every seat that claims to be great. Hoping the ST community has some experience to offer. Cheers.
It has a lot to do with the *** rather than the seat. I have done a lot of 300 to 500 mile days on the stock ST1300 seat. Sometimes throw on a sheepskin if it is hot. Just tried a borrowed Air hawk on the Vulcan for four 7 hour days and it was a nice addition. Just took time to get it adjusted. Best with just enough air to not bottom out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
yuergenb

yuergenb

Biking since 87'
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Apparently, a russell is the answer. Thanks for the all the replies. Ill look them up. Cheers, and safe riding.

Top Bottom