Maintenance log app?

Bike
ST1300@2009
Dear friends

I searched for apps to log maintenance performed in my bikes (as also to help me schedule the next jobs), but all the apps I found are rather incomplete or just plain ugly.

I was thinking if it would make sense to write one?

I guess support for photos is mandatory as also a table with the recommended maintenance (as the user only adds the model, it could show the table).

Maybe allow it to be visualized both in mobile X desktop? So if you are at office or in the road, you could easily access it.

Maybe it could also list 'compatible' parts (e.g. oil filters)... That is a bit tricky, would require further research.

Another cool feature I think would be nice is to allow sharing 'cards' of a bike (e.g. you sharing the maintenance data of your bike with a friend that also got a st1300).

Which other features would make sense to have?
:)

Bike
2010 ST1300
I have a simple maintenance log - just done in MS Word on my Mac. At the top I have part numbers, info I usually want to find fast such as tire sizes, inflation pressures, bubl numbers, various brand oil fliter numbers, etc. Then come links, and articles I might want to have easy access to.

Under that is the Log itself.
Mileage tab Date tab, who did the work, tab, approx cost tab, ref number for receipts.
Next line I list the work done line by line. Boldface highlights guarantees (for battery, etc) or info I want to get quickly.

Works for me. I don't like a lot of features I would not use.

A second page in Word gives me all the bike's expenses, a column for accessories, a column for maint items, date, and costs.

This log can be as complex or simple as the user wants. To each his own. YMMV

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Word, Publisher, Xcel. All work sufficiently. Depends on what you are more confident with...spreadsheets or word processor. All three can handle tables and photos.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I used to use an app but now just use Excel. I can set it up in Excel and then modify as necessary. Plus, I can filter, search, graph, calculate, etc. For me, dedicated apps are just too restrictive.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
I find the Calendar on my smart phone works great. Top line always starts with witch bike. So ST1300 oil change, or GW front tire. Then the millage. Then in the Notes, or any other lines I can add all those little details. Location tells me home or which dealers.
Best part, the Calendar search option will pull up all items in order, or search bike + oil or bike + headlight and you get only all the dates and info you did, in order of date.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
I use an Excel spread sheet, it tallies up my expenses in Farkles, keeps track of my MPG and how much spent on gas, and I have a sheet for comparing tires/prices.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I was using an app called Fuel Log for a few years and then it became unsupported which led me to a new app Fuel Buddy. I believe the free version supports the requirements you have listed. It also allows for saving your data to Google Drive which is nice for backups and such. CSV files are created and viewed with Excel.

I would hope the the Pro version which is not free gets rid of the popup ads. I also maintain a spread sheet of my maintenance as well but I am considering moving just to Fuel Buddy for everything.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I don't want another app, especially one which doesn't likely do what I want and one that is formatted to fit a small phone screen. My maintenance log is done via spreadsheet, adjustable as needed. Since I never do maintenance on the road, I don't need to access my maintenance log from my phone. If there ever were maintenance that happened out on the road, I'd keep paper notes until I got back home.

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
Wow, am I behind the times! LOL
My maintenance log is a half-size spiral notebook! Columns for Date, Mileage, Work performed. Never considered electronic...
However, there are times I would like to look something up, like if ordering parts at work, or comparing mileage with the guys. Planning to digitize to a spreadsheet and put on GoogDrive soon!
If anyone has a "fancy" type of Android and/or IOS document with calculations, pretty colors, etc, feel free to share a template on here. :c)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I don't want another app, especially one which doesn't likely do what I want and one that is formatted to fit a small phone screen. My maintenance log is done via spreadsheet, adjustable as needed. Since I never do maintenance on the road, I don't need to access my maintenance log from my phone. If there ever were maintenance that happened out on the road, I'd keep paper notes until I got back home.
I don't just keep auto/bike logs but stuff for the house like air filter sizes and anything I can't remember off the top of my head... that way I can pull it up if I'm shopping.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I use an app call aCar.

Keeps track of fuel mileage and the maintenance. Each time you fuel up you enter the data and for any tasks that are mileage based, it alerts you. For tasks that are time based, it alerts you to those too. You can use standardized maintenance intervals or reset them to your own schedule. Add/remove items for the vehicles you track. You can see upcoming items with a quick glance. If you enter your data about the maintenance done, like cost of parts, it'll then also give you the data about how much it costs to operate the vehicle. Graphs are generated too that you can manipulate to see your mpg based on octane, brand, or other data points.
Has options for missed fuel-ups or partial fuels.
It does multiple vehicles too.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I don't just keep auto/bike logs but stuff for the house like air filter sizes and anything I can't remember off the top of my head... that way I can pull it up if I'm shopping.
Yep, that's handy. For non-bike stuff, I keep various free-form text notes on my phone.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
tuff for the house like air filter sizes and anything I can't remember off the top of my head... that way I can pull it up if I'm shopping.
You could do this in aCar. Create a vehicle call home and make maintenance items for the various air/water filters and projects. Set them up for the time interval and it'll trip as required.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
You could do this in aCar. Create a vehicle call home and make maintenance items for the various air/water filters and projects. Set them up for the time interval and it'll trip as required.
True but right now I have it in spreadsheet form so it's easy to manipulate and store or even import into other apps if I like. I have a sheets shortcut on my phone and also in my browser at home to go straight to which ever one I want to look at quickly.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I wrote one when I got my first ST1100 in 2000 and put it on the forum about 4 years ago. Written originally in Microsoft Access, but I managed to convert it to Open Office - but Open Office Database doesn't have all of the database facilities that I wanted, so is a useable, but inferior implementation. Take a look - it might be useful. I've used it for all of my STs to date.

Link here - the Access version is available in post #1 - the Open Office (but much reduced) version is in one of the last posts.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've been working on computers since 1970, you would think as much maintenance I do I would have it on a spreadsheet at least! But, I just use a good old fashioned notebook. I use electrical tape to flag the different bikes (I ripped out the '05 and handed the pages to Justin when he bought it.) :rolleyes:

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use the notepad on here and find it works great and easy to access.
Go to settings on here and once you click on it notepad should be in the top right corner.
Not sure how many characters it holds, but since 2009, I haven't ran out of space yet. Also you can access it and update anywhere in the world.
Thanks Mellow

Top Bottom