Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Who understands the PAIR system to know I can clamp it off, leaving it in place?

Bike
    1997, ST1100ABS
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Re: Who understands the PAIR system to know I can clamp it off, leaving it in place?

I followed Normands setting for the dip switches and used his plans for the plumbing of my vacuum system.
    http://www.valkyrieriders.com/shopta...se-control.htm

David
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    1991 ST1100
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Re: Who understands the PAIR system to know I can clamp it off, leaving it in place?

Ok, I don't know where to begin, I did a lot of things that weren't planned, they just became good ideas as I went. Once the tank was removed I explored the linkage for freedom of movement, alignment for the pull on the throttle from the servo and it's slack.
    There was too much slack. Not that it shouldn't have worked, but the importance of the right amount of slack may not have been adjusted perfectly. Here's why. If there is too much slack at throttle rest, the first thing that happens when you're in 5th gear at 3k rpm, will be even more slack because you've slightly twisted the throttle for this speed. This I took notice of and made sure, before assembling everything again, there was a gnats wing of slack in the linkage of throttle and servo. To be sure I've conveyed this properly, once the throttle is all the way relaxed, the length of the servo cable is at it's most relaxed, so there is the most room for it to capture the speed and throttle up big long hills without disconnecting, something I've waited for to happen so far.
    So, basically by taking up the initial slack, there is a lot less the servo has to work for adjusting speed going down the road.
    The next most astounding thing that happened is, I decided with the tank removed to connect a vac gauge to a test port in my vac system for cruise. Running the engine before the tank went back in, if I found out there was a vacuum issue would take a lot more time to get it apart again.
    20 inHg at 3k rpm. I couldn't believe it. All tests before were in the 10 to 12 range. I don't know where it came from but being connected to cylinder 3 has given me a lot more confidence that it won't be a vac supply issue and shouldn't have to make a larger vac container. When I shut the engine off the gauge showed no leak in the system 5 to 10 minutes later. Won't go on a test ride for 3 more hours.

David
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    1991 ST1100
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

No dice. Couldn't keep it engaged. It's even worse trying to engage then before I started. I can turn it on, set it, then it disconnects. I wonder if it's a fault in the buttons? At this point trying anything other than what I've done would be refreshing.

David
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    1991 ST1100
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

A theory for the possibility the buttons aren't working properly in the controller is not being able to think of anything else. The red blinking light under the cap in the servo when the engine is running blinks so that tells me the connection to the coil is able to count the number of times it's firing. Controller turns on so there's power going to it. The symptom of it capturing the speed when I press set then disengages is like the solenoid is stuck for being able to hold a vacuum that it lets in.

David
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    1991 ST1100
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

On the way home with an hour long ride and nothing better to do than ride safe, I just kept pressing on set to see if some exercise would get it to work. It didn't. At this point I could ground the purple wire that cancels cruise when apply the brakes but this hasn't proved to keep cruise engaged any longer with trying something else.
    Last edited by moddy; 08-12-2017 at 03:16 PM.

David
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    1991 ST1100
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Taking a chance in writing Murph's Kits, since I didn't buy this directly from them, I wanted to see if they offered any advice or support even though their website is up front about figure it out, and it's probably not the solenoid. He offered a lot of what has been mentioned before in this thread and to be careful grounding the purple wire as depressing the brakes won't disconnect the cruise, though squeezing the clutch would due to sensing a higher rpm without acceleration.
    So, since I removed the possibility of there being a vacuum leak, I will make sure the purple wire is well grounded before further testing.

Bike
    1991 SSMST1100
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

John OoSTerhuis, STOC 1058, 1991 SSMST1100 - The Grey GhOOST (now @ 188K)
    Multi-task: check out: ST-Riders - The LiST
    My tech/maint/service pictures: link

+ New Posts
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415