Starting to plan next summer's Alaska Hwy ride. Input?

Bike
R1200rt
I have not been there but will some day. I did see some post ( adventure sites) to expect delays, sometimes of a day or three. Some times the roads get washed out and it can take a few days to repair. Even driving around the repair might take days.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I bet your packing list is pretty long. Would like to see a few pics of the bike loaded up before you leave.

I went to AK in 2011 from NY. Look on a map west of Calgary and find Route 40. You want to ride along Route 40 from start to finish. It starts at Route 22 and ends up on 93, The Icefield Parkway. This Route 40 was the best part of the trip I hit it going there and coming back. 93 is awesome too I would ride that in its entirety going and coming. The scenery on 40 was the best and going I saw a herd of 20 big horn sheep and coming back I saw a couple of grizzly bears 50 feet from the road. I stopped, got off the bike and joined I guy in his pickup watching them for half an hour.

The Alcan itself has more wildlife on it than the Cassiar in my experience. Just east of Watson Lake there are herds of buffalo and if they are on the road, you will have to decide how to proceed ie, ride into the buffalo herd and take your chances or wait till they clear the road. I followed a car right through them and it was AWESOME riding with the buffalo! If you go early in the summer there will be calves they are adorable. Wives will put up with a lot just to see buffalo babies.

But remember Route 40 Route 40 Route 40....this is the best advice you got.

OP
OP
Bike
06 ST300 PA
I'll be sure to look those routes up, thanks. There are SO MANY scenic routes out there it is tough to decide. I"ve bicycled in Alberta and BC a bit and motorcycled thru Washington, Montana, Wyoming etc (mountains and wildlife protected areas) and have a good idea what you mean. You are a lucky guy to not have an incident with grizzlies if they were that close? I had the opportunity to see how fast one can accelerate and its top speed and it was purely mind-boggling; went from zero (sitting on its butt, actually) to over 30 mph in ... oh... about a second!! Yeah... So I have a real healthy respect for those soft cuddly animals now. Followed a mature male bison out of the north end of Yellowstone... it was slowly stepping along the yellow line up the middle of the roadway. Decided my bike at the time (all black VTX1800) might be too much of a challenge for it to pass up and didn't want to risk a head butting episode LOL. They are pretty big, up close! I didn't know about herds crossing the road; that's good to know so I can prepare for that.

I would like to know about people who have camped their way up and back and any - ANY situations/interactions with animals of any sort? Were you carrying food and if so how did you store it overnite; were there trees to string it up high or did you lock it in your hard side cases, etc etc?

OP
OP
Bike
06 ST300 PA
I went to AK in 2011 from NY. Look on a map west of Calgary and find Route 40. You want to ride along Route 40 from start to finish. It starts at Route 22 and ends up on 93, The Icefield Parkway. This Route 40 was the best part of the trip I hit it going there and coming back. 93 is awesome too I would ride that in its entirety going and coming. The scenery on 40 was the best and going I saw a herd of 20 big horn sheep and coming back I saw a couple of grizzly bears 50 feet from the road. I stopped, got off the bike and joined I guy in his pickup watching them for half an hour.

The Alcan itself has more wildlife on it than the Cassiar in my experience. Just east of Watson Lake there are herds of buffalo and if they are on the road, you will have to decide how to proceed ie, ride into the buffalo herd and take your chances or wait till they clear the road. I followed a car right through them and it was AWESOME riding with the buffalo! If you go early in the summer there will be calves they are adorable. Wives will put up with a lot just to see buffalo babies.

But remember Route 40 Route 40 Route 40....this is the best advice you got.
Just traced Route 40 on google; it isn't exactly a straight line, is it?!?! Wow; looks like a great ride all by itself! I lose it tho at Grande Prairie in northern alberta; WAY north of Lake Louise where the icefields parkway seems to start; what section(s) did you do? Did you motel it or camp or what and how did that work out assuming you didn't make reservations?
Thx for the tip!
GP

Just traced Route 40 on google; it isn't exactly a straight line, is it?!?! Wow; looks like a great ride all by itself! I lose it tho at Grande Prairie in northern alberta; WAY north of Lake Louise where the icefields parkway seems to start; what section(s) did you do? Did you motel it or camp or what and how did that work out assuming you didn't make reservations?
Thx for the tip!
GP
Route 40 from Route22 to Route 93 (Icefields Parkway) is only about 40 miles long. Thats where 93 ends Grand Prairie. Its starts at Calgary.

I stayed in motels only and had zero trouble finding accommodations. Gas was no trouble either altho once in a while s station was closed. Speed limit is 60 mph and I got 50 mpg at that speed. At 45 mph I got 61 mpg. With 7.5 gallons that should get you through.

I did this trip in 2011 when gas was expensive and few traveled the AlCan. Its cheap now so there might be more RVs and less hotel space. I saw two RVs the whole time on the AlCan.

Last edited:

TPadden

Tom Padden
Any input from people who have done it appreciated. I am reading all the websites I can but first hand experience - where I can ask questions - is priceless!
GP
Just do it, every trip is different and almost everything you read is dated and virtually worthless other than for very general information. Everything changes daily and the only advice that is really worth anything is from any other rider on the road riding in the opposite direction. If you are not having fun do something different; stay flexible and improvise.

My wife and I camped all 30 days in 2000, my son, I and a friend camped all 30 days in 2004, Raymond and I camped all 30 days in 2014, I plan on camping all 30 days again this July. That's as far as my planning goes other than 14-17 July camping at Whitehorse/ Takhini Hot Springs RTE. :cool:

Tom

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
06 ST300 PA
that's good info. Thanks; what I am trying to find out. No problem with animals at the campsites? I assume all campsites were commercial type; ie not 'roughing it' at least not in Alberta, BC or north. Have had minor encounters with animals in 'outback' camping so wondering if the more northern stretches would be similar.
GP

TPadden

Tom Padden
that's good info. Thanks; what I am trying to find out. No problem with animals at the campsites? I assume all campsites were commercial type; ie not 'roughing it' at least not in Alberta, BC or north. Have had minor encounters with animals in 'outback' camping so wondering if the more northern stretches would be similar.
GP
Half and half; commercial and Provincial - consider Provincial roughing it. Food only in commercial and even then only enough for one meal at a time. Saw a bear or two in campgrounds but never bothered anything other than dumpsters. More bothered by mosquitoes but on 2 out of 3 of those trips even the mosquitoes stayed away. It was all fun and part of the adventure.

Tom

Bike
ST1300
In 1988 I did MN to Alaska pretty much just up and back including: Laird Hot Springs, Fairbanks, Soldotna, Skagway, Marine Highway et.al... This July (2018) doing an anniversary run and adding: Arctic Circle, Homer, Top of the World and Casiar Highway. The other guy on the trip wants to add Deadhorse. I'll be riding an 06 ST1300, him, an 1984 Goldwing. Any thoughts on the Haul Road? I am reluctant. But the Prudoe-Key West IBA Certificate would wear like a Distinguished Service Medal.
Thanks.....

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Did the Top of the World highway and the Dalton last year with a K1600GT. No problem except where they were doing road maintenance and the road was ploughed up. Just slowed down through those sections. I only went as far as the Circle on the Dalton as I was riding alone.

Top Bottom