Starting to plan next summer's Alaska Hwy ride. Input?

Bike
06 ST300 PA
hi guys; yeah, newbie here but I don't see where is best to ask for info on this ride. If it belongs somewhere else LMK.

I'm planning on driving the Alaska Hwy next summer (2018) but want to plan (aka training. That's what I am telling my wife) this summer with trips thru less-civilized parts of Ontario. Looking at areas north of North Bay etc.
The plan is to stay in motels 'fairly often' as various electronics will need charging and the bed and a nice shower just might be fully appreciated, but I want to have a full complement of camping gear so that if there is nothing available when I am ending my day, I can camp in relative comfort. Stove, coffee, food, etc... all in!

Also I have to be prepared for rain and cool weather; likely together, and getting prep'd for that is a goal too.
So..... that's all stuff I want to start preparing for this summer. Right now my bike is sitting still waiting for me to finish a project.. my carrot!
Any input from people who have done it appreciated. I am reading all the websites I can but first hand experience - where I can ask questions - is priceless!

thanks in advance
GP

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
...The plan is to stay in motels 'fairly often' as various electronics will need charging and ...
Look into a power outlet for your bike. Lots things can be charged by a 12VDC charger.

Bike
2015 FJR1300
Banff, Jasper, The Ice Field Parkway, The Bus!, The Sign Post Forest

Heated gear
Waterproof Gear
Hotels and Gas aren't a problem, just don't push it.
Waterproof Gear
Heated Gear
Waterproof Gear
Etc

OP
OP
Bike
06 ST300 PA
Thanks Uncle Phil;
great links and pix! How many miles (hours, whatever) did you do gravel roads ASSUMING you were doing the main road - ie the 'side trip' that goes thru Dawson and Chicken etc - where is looks like it ALL is (wet) gravel....
I'm trying to figure out where to get my tires changed prior to hitting the 'main road' so thinking Edmonton.
Appreciate the answer; everything is helpful.
Thx
GP

OP
OP
Bike
06 ST300 PA
Look into a power outlet for your bike. Lots things can be charged by a 12VDC charger.
yup; a no-brainer and I think that struck me as I pressed "POST"....

I have found with my Ipod and phone that it gets fussy about 'just any' charger but will be taking them along anyway and will be checking it all out this summer. Just got my tent, sleeping pad and sleeping bag, along with a few other items together, so 'getting there'.....!

OP
OP
Bike
06 ST300 PA
Banff, Jasper, The Ice Field Parkway, The Bus!, The Sign Post Forest

Heated gear
Waterproof Gear
Hotels and Gas aren't a problem, just don't push it.
Waterproof Gear
Heated Gear
Waterproof Gear
Etc
hmmmm
I think I'm seeing a theme here! Yes that was my impression after looking at lots of threads and even more pix. There is a lot of rain in there! What I have to come to grips with is how 'cool or cold' it will seem when it gets wet. I got a tent that is big enough to provide space for my wet gear without dripping all over my sleeping bag/other stuff, but it still is going to be a challenge making my morning coffee (somehow)
again; thanks for the info.
GP

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks Uncle Phil;
great links and pix! How many miles (hours, whatever) did you do gravel roads ASSUMING you were doing the main road -GP
The gravel we did was just the construction areas on the ALCAN (plenty of them) 10-20 minutes for the longest stretch, and the run up to Salmon Glacier at Hyder (which was about 20 miles one way). I didn't go to Chicken on any of my trips. You definitely want to take a small air compressor and tire plugging gear. If you nail a tire, you could be sitting a long time - or at least until a hungry bear comes along. ;-) I'd also look at one of those battery boosters. You'll need enough tools to fix anything that is 'fixable' on the road. Also, my rule up there is start looking for gas at the half tank mark because you never know when the next 'gas station' will be closed with weeds in the parking lot.

thekaz

haz gone feral
hi guys; yeah, newbie here but I don't see where is best to ask for info on this ride. If it belongs somewhere else LMK.

I'm planning on driving the Alaska Hwy next summer (2018) but want to plan (aka training. That's what I am telling my wife) this summer with trips thru less-civilized parts of Ontario. Looking at areas north of North Bay etc.
The plan is to stay in motels 'fairly often' as various electronics will need charging and the bed and a nice shower just might be fully appreciated, but I want to have a full complement of camping gear so that if there is nothing available when I am ending my day, I can camp in relative comfort. Stove, coffee, food, etc... all in!

Also I have to be prepared for rain and cool weather; likely together, and getting prep'd for that is a goal too.
So..... that's all stuff I want to start preparing for this summer. Right now my bike is sitting still waiting for me to finish a project.. my carrot!
Any input from people who have done it appreciated. I am reading all the websites I can but first hand experience - where I can ask questions - is priceless!

thanks in advance
GP
what inspired you to think you want to ride the Alaskan Highway? is there something you really want to see or is it you want to experience the north ? how much time have you got ?
I find many people do not realize the distances involved, communication difficulties, lack of cash vs credit cards, etc

OP
OP
Bike
06 ST300 PA
what inspired you to think you want to ride the Alaskan Highway? is there something you really want to see or is it you want to experience the north ? how much time have you got ?
I find many people do not realize the distances involved, communication difficulties, lack of cash vs credit cards, etc
I don't know if I have a good answer to that, but then .... who does? Because it is there? For me, the distance from here (near Niagara Falls ON) to Edmonton is almost the same at from Edmonton to Fairbanks or Anchorage. I've had this on my radar screen for years.. I have driven across 'most' of Canada - apologies to Quebec and the maritimes: Ottawa to Tofino and back, NOT doing a straight run by any means.. but for some reason I got totally wrapped up in putting on miles and didn't stop to smell the roses - or more accurately, witness a REAL small town, rural Montana rodeo, or investigate a small town in Washington state where there were tie up bars for horses, all down the main street... - and this time I want to be sure to slow down and really experience the places along the way and talk to the people. I can take up to 6 weeks for this trip which MIGHT - have to decide - repeat some of my previous trip described above.

So..... the cash, credit card, gas stations, motels, campgrounds are the things I really want to check out in real terms. Thanks for the interest and appreciate any input!
GP

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Why Alaska? For me the allure is seeing friends and coworkers retiring has made me realize I only have so many years left - and thinking about a really big trip before it's too late for me.

Educate us!

The miles/km I can understand just spending some quality time with google maps or my old MS Streets and Trips.

Communications difficulties? You mean lack of cell coverage, or understanding Canadians? ;-) Get a Sat phone?

Cash vs Credit cards. That's one I'd like some advice on. My previous Canadian trips I've been able to rely on credit cards, without using any cash. Never had to worry about carry of large amounts of cash, money changing etc. But I can see how credit card transactions might be difficult in the deep boonies.

What else?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I went because I wanted to see stuff I hadn't seen before. And I went back because I enjoyed it so much the first time. And if all goes well, I'll be going back again one day. I was going back this year but after my current medical adventures I decide to wait another year or so. From Nashville to the beginning of the ALCAN is about the same distance as from Nashville to California, so distance is just distance. You'll see things on the ALCAN that you probably won't see many other places - including a truckload of wildlife out in the open. I never had any trouble with credit cards on my three trips. I do carry a Visa and a Master Card as occasionally some places will take one and not the other. If life ain't an adventure, then it ain't nothing but a dull stroll to the finish line. :D

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Well reading this post gives me an interesting idea of how people south of the border view the rides north, specifically the Alaska Highway. The posts are somewhat accurate and I would suggest the following are must haves to take on your trip.
Warmer clothes for riding and rain gear
Bug repellent
Tools and flat repair kits
any camping gear you would use normally to camp anywhere
Cell phone
Credit cards
Some money, as most everyplace takes CC, in fact I can't think of one that doesn't right now
Plan gas stops as there can be some surprises, as many smaller towns such as Watson Lake does have a couple gas stations, but they ALL close late evening and open in the AM. Not the 24 hour gas and grub places we are spoiled to have around.
glass cleaner of some flavor to wash bugs from windscreen and visor.
Camera or cell camera
Be aware that sometimes there can be minor delays for construction. Watch the potholes and big truck traffic, some flying rocks, dirt etc off the roads and from vehicles.
Watch for wildlife, especially deer who can scoot out from roadside very quickly.
Don't slam on the brakes and stop on the narrow roads as in most places, to take photos of wildlife etc, or you may be a bug splat on a semi trucks front bumper, and don't follow a rented motor home too close, as it will certainly hit the brakes and stop in a bad area of the highway, like a hill or the middle of the road, and you will become a rear bumper sticker...
Tire changes? Well not unless you shred one or get a wear one out. Even though there will be a few areas of gravel roads, it is minimal. Just have whatever flavor of tire and with good wear left and pressures correct. If you do need a tire, remember the RAN list as it generally takes a few days to a week to get a tire in some areas, but a few people I know have old spares around.
Bug Spray!
It is beautiful country and all that changes is to pre-plan a bit, mostly with stops and gas, be prepared in case of breakdowns, even though many people will stop and help each other in the north. Enjoy the scenery!

Bike
2006 Honda st1300
Take some extra gas along. I've personally drove the Alcan HWY 8 times round trip. After Prince George B.C. gas stations are scarce. Most aren't open past 8pm.

thekaz

haz gone feral
Why Alaska? For me the allure is seeing friends and coworkers retiring has made me realize I only have so many years left - and thinking about a really big trip before it's too late for me.

Educate us!

The miles/km I can understand just spending some quality time with google maps or my old MS Streets and Trips.

Communications difficulties? You mean lack of cell coverage, or understanding Canadians? ;-) Get a Sat phone?

Cash vs Credit cards. That's one I'd like some advice on. My previous Canadian trips I've been able to rely on credit cards, without using any cash. Never had to worry about carry of large amounts of cash, money changing etc. But I can see how credit card transactions might be difficult in the deep boonies.

What else?
I have driven new units to Whitehorse then ridden back ( bike gets put inside new unit ) many times over the last 30 years ? Several times I would continue north then return…..
Services are WAY better now but experience has taught me that cell service cannot be relied upon, Sat comms of any type can be difficult depending on terrain & weather, credit cards work ASSUMING there is power & Sat Com or your actually buying gas from a gas station. Cash will always work even if your buying gas or services from a train truck ,service truck or camps.
In recent years most are now using UHF simplex or repeaters. I find it is more reliable and work crews can respond faster to life or limb emergencies. I would not use UHF because my BMW caught on fire though LOL
The roads themselves are astronomically better then even five years ago! That said your bike will get dirty and never be clean again. I may not bring my ST1300 up there just because of that ? LOL Do NOT assume there will be motel rooms available after dinner or without reservations. A train/road crew can easily fill a motel at a moment’s notice. They can also use up all the fuel at a gas station :(
Not sure what else to add ? I love Muncho Lake Park everytime :)

In the summer of 2010 I did a solo motocamping ride from Ohio to Fairbanks via the ALCAN and up the Haul Road to the Arctic Circle, then south via the Cassiar to Los Angeles and eventually home to Ohio. The trip was right around 12k miles and five weeks including several layovers. It was a great experience. I had no trouble and would love to do it again although I don't know if the planets will even align in a way that will allow it.

Seven summers ago is a long time and the road has no doubt changed since then as well as what facilities are available. In my experience even back in 2010 (and no doubt more so now) many gas stations in the more remote areas of the north, even northern tier continental states (Montana, etc), leave their gas pumps turned on for card purchases 24/7 even when the station itself is closed. With the great fuel range of the ST I didn't carry extra fuel and didn't have any problems except for a close call on the way south on the ALCAN between the AK border and Haines Junction. There were only two or three widely spaced gas stations in that stretch, all of them closed that evening, and at least back in 2010 those stations (much to my horror) did not have 24/7 pumps. By the time I got to the first station coming into Haines Junction - which thankfully did have 24/7 pumps - my low fuel light had been on for some time and the old girl was running on fumes. I had never pushed the ST into the low fuel light range so I didn't know how forgiving it was, nor did I think that late one evening by myself on the ALCAN was a good time and place to find out.

The mosquito issue has probably not changed since 2010. I carried "Deep Woods Off" and it worked well for me, and particularly with tent camping I was very glad I had it. When parking the bike and beginning to set up camp for the night the "mossies" immediately swarmed and were very aggressive until I applied the Off, which I kept handy in my tank bag. End of problem.

I kept a blog during my 2010 trip so family and friends could stay updated without me having to send separate emails to everyone, but some of my descriptions, photos, and experiences may also be useful to anyone contemplating making the trip.

https://431x2-2.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300
As far a credit card(s) are concerned, much of Canada (Ontario and Manitoba from my personal experiences) doesn't accept Discover and AmX. Take one of the other major cards of your choice.

Top Bottom