Running out of fuel .... Fuel tank or gauge issue ... any advice????

Bike
2010 ST1300
STOC #
OK ... So I ran out of fuel today. I have been having the 3 bars to flashing reserve light issue for a few months now. I started carrying a Primus 1.5 liter fuel bottle (for camping fuel) with me which has paid off.

So .. as I started off ... I ran out of fuel. Added my 1.5 liters and got myself to a gas station (25 miles later). She only took 5.5 gallons of fuel (to the bottom of the neck). Where are my other 2 gallons of fuel (why did i run out)?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I have been having the 3 bars to flashing reserve light issue for a few months now.
I don't know where your 2gal went but you need to get your gauge fixed. That may be at least part of the issue. I've gone done to one bar a couple of times. Then I got the flashing warning and have never gone below three bars since.

Bike
2010 ST1300
To answer your question, the 2 gallons of gas is still in the bottom tank.

Sounds like the fuel pickup is near the top of the lower tank. Is that even possible? The bright side of this problem is that you are not running the fuel pump when the tank gets low, (fuel is used to cool the pump). Sorry I cannot be of help - but I'm curious too, since I've got the same year bike.

Last edited:

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I had the same problem. It was my float/sensor in the upper tank. It's a pretty simple thing to replace provided you don't have to drain the upper tank first.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
You ran out of fuel two days in a row? (Post 33 in this thread: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?158050-Adjusting-Fuel-Reading/:)

Likely one of the hoses between the upper/lower tank is kinked. When they're kinked, it takes a lot of time for the fuel to dribble into the lower tank. Either the lower tank runs out of fuel while riding (with fuel still in the upper tank), or the upper tank doesn't drain into the lower tank during fillup, resulting in only a partial fillup (5.5 gallons sound about right for that!).

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
You ran out of fuel two days in a row? (Post 33 in this thread: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?158050-Adjusting-Fuel-Reading/:)

Likely one of the hoses between the upper/lower tank is kinked. When they're kinked, it takes a lot of time for the fuel to dribble into the lower tank. Either the lower tank runs out of fuel while riding (with fuel still in the upper tank), or the upper tank doesn't drain into the lower tank during fillup, resulting in only a partial fillup (5.5 gallons sound about right for that!).
+1. Same problem in my 04.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom