Fixing a leak around the rear rim.

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Almost been a month since I published a video, lol. The rear tire was going soft and it barely had any kilometres on it. Did a homemade bead breaker and tried the nylon tie method of tire removal for the first time. This was the first tubeless tire I have ever removed and then put back on. I did a little work on a pot hole dent in the rim, cleaned the rim and tire, applied rim & bead sealant and put it back on. Spent around 3.5 hrs. puttering over 4 evenings? In no rush due to the weather. Learned a bit and have some ideas to make it go faster next time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA_mafDeuyI&t=25s

OP
OP
Jim C-G
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Next time try fix a flat. I use it when plugging tires if the plug leaks.
If it was a puncture and I was looking for a short term fix (1,00 km or so), yes, I'd go for the fix a flat. I feel much better with determining the biggest problem was a dirty rim and fixing that. I have at least 10,000 km left on this tire so I really wanted to do a long term fix.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Nice video, and I am glad you did not get hurt in the process.

Gerhard

If it was a puncture and I was looking for a short term fix (1,00 km or so), yes, I'd go for the fix a flat. I feel much better with determining the biggest problem was a dirty rim and fixing that. I have at least 10,000 km left on this tire so I really wanted to do a long term fix.
I wouldnt recommend FAF for a puncture. But Ivee used it successfully for many years (Im 60) to fix leaks mostly due to plugs. I cant remember a fafed tire leaking after treatment whatever the cause was.

Top Bottom