Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ST1100 - Gift Part 2

Bike
    2002 YZF R1
    2018 Miles

My Gallery

ST1100 - Gift Part 2

Backstory – Uncle gave up riding gift me 96 ST with 14K Miles but standing still since 2009.

So I stripped off the fairing and pulled the tank out and scrubbed and sanded off the rust scale and now rust treated and given it the first top coat of black enamel. In addition, fitted a battery and its turning over well and has compression but returned a code 1 error indicating a dreaded $$ front ABS sensor failure but at the moment hoping this is just a bad earth or bad battery some time in 2009 when it was being ridden less. We shall see.

I have pulled the carburetor cables and in the process of oiling these back up, waiting on some long Philip screw drivers in preparation for pulling the carbs and no doubt cleaning solidified remains of fuel from the fuel bowl and jets and replacing the carb boots on the way through. I pulled the radiator out because of obvious aluminium oxide and intend to pull the casting for the thermostat and radiator cap which seems to be particularly bad with corrosion.

My intention was to just get to a point where I could start the bike and run it around to see what the state of the ABS Sensor was because of the high potential cost of this component, but I have changed my mind and intend to go all the way in and change the cam belt and anything that needs attention on the way back out and bite the bullet on the sensor if this proves to be a dud. Intention is to have it running for the Cold Kiwi run which is almost exactly three months away… this will be a challenge but I think having something fixed to work towards in the calendar will be very positive.

http://coldkiwi.co.nz/

Anyway, getting long handled Phillips screw drivers to remove carbs and pull the cam belt and check water pump are next on the list.

Attachment 183570Attachment 183571

2. The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Bike
    ST1300A9 (2013)
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Re: ST1100 - Gift Part 2

Good luck with the fix.

Can I recommend JIS screwdrivers rather than Philips. The cross head is designed to stay in place rather than lever themselves out of the socket.

The ABS wheel sensor may just be the clearance or a dirty surface. Bits of wire brush metal will attach themselves to the magnetic surface.
    I discovered - quite by accident - a way of testing the sensor. Involves clearing the fault codes - see this post - scan down to the bottom bit.

Also the sensors are interchangeable.

Hang on though - maybe my info is duff for a 1996 ABS system - Code 1 was a faulty crank angle sensor not the ABS wheel sensor - which is the one I assumed that you meant.

The faulty crank angle sensor may be reported if the fuse has blown, or if the crank cannot turn when the ignition is turned on for some other reason. This may be due to excessive fluid in the system (or blocked relief ports perhaps). Don't forget that the two error codes remain even after the fault has been removed. To be sure, note the codes and then clear them and turn the ignition on again.

However, once the codes have been cleared - if there is a fault in the ABS system then it cannot initialise to determine whether or not the wheels sensors are faulty. So you never get a 2nd wheel sensor fault reported.

4. The Following User Likes This Post:

Bike
    ST1100(s)
    2018 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Re: ST1100 - Gift Part 2

I would not bother to change the timing belt. I'm still running the original one on one of my 97 ST1100s with 90,000+ miles on it. I don't change them until 100,000 miles and they still look as good as new when they come out. I spend three weeks and 5,000 miles riding in your lovely land back in 2014 -

http://www.unclephil.us/NewZealand2014Home.htm

97 ST1100 STD +150,000 / 02 ST1100 ABS +114,000/ 97 ST1100 ABS +75,000
    www.UnclePhil.us

"There's more to leading than being in front." - Uncle Phil

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2002 YZF R1
    2018 Miles

My Gallery

ST1100 - Gift Part 3

Backstory – Uncle gave up riding gift me 96 ST with 14K Miles but standing still since 2009.

I pulled the carbs off by bathing the clamps in CRC over a couple of nights and purchasing some extra-long philips screw drivers and warming the general area up with a heat gun at a bit of a distance to soften the carb boots, after releasing the clamps they came off without too much effort.

There seems to be a leak where the hoses union with the block, there is a dried-up lake bed of green coolant sitting in the valley between the cylinders (see photos), hoping a new clamp and gasket will probably sold this problem but needs a closer look.

I dropped one of the fuel bowls off for a quick look and they seem very clean (the floats and jets), the bottom of the bowl had some containment, so feel vindicated that a general closer inspection has been warranted and a good clean will see positive results.

Next steps, will clean, inspect and paint the radiator, fan bracket and put this assembly back together before cleaning the bowls, jets and passageways of the carburetor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-05-27 22.03.14.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	183704Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-05-31 20.18.08.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	167.7 KB 
ID:	183705Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-05-31 20.18.14.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	183706Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-05-31 20.18.21.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	183707Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-05-31 20.18.33.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	168.3 KB 
ID:	183708Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-05-31 20.23.07.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	183709Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-05-31 20.23.14.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	159.9 KB 
ID:	183710

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2002 YZF R1
    2018 Miles

My Gallery

ST1100 - Gift Part 4

The carbs are off and sitting in a box and bag awaiting attention, aiming just to clean the jets and blow out the galleries and clean the bowls and hopefully this will be sufficient with a close inspection of the balance. I have been agonising on going in any deeper to get to the cam belt, given its only 14K miles its many times short of being due but sitting for so long and the unknowns of starting it and trashing the valve gear or worse still failing in service with me aboard just did not sit well at all, so despite comments to leave it alone I have pulled this apart also, the belt was $75 NZD which I thought was reasonable (Amazon) but still waiting on delivery.

Getting the cam cover off I pulled the radiator which is in the process of being etched and paints and loosened the clutch cover, all the bolts I could get at, then when tools failed to reach the balance of the bolts I started pulling the right side exhaust off but this seems more stubborn than expected, so when this failed I went back to the books and researched a little more. So as everyone knows you can get that cover off without removing the clutch cover (now leaking oil on the floor) a little jiggling and careful application of large screw driver and she popped right out, I also marked where I am going to Dremel the relief in the plastic to aide re installation.

I bought a radiator cap, the old one rubber seals where all wrinkled and wavy, I also purchased a thermostat, I don’t think that was strictly needed but given the condition of the housing (aluminium oxide) and general gumminess I bought one of these also, so total spend at $250 and 2 months 3 weeks and 3 days to cold kiwi. I also bought the cheapest tent ($10 NZD) that I could find for the trip, I know I am going to regret that purchase.

Item Spend
    Battery $ 89.05
    Air Filter $ 47.61
    Cam Belt $ 74.33
    Radiator Cap $ 15.70
    Thermostat $ 16.33
    $ 243.02

Name:	Front On Overview.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	183968Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Overview.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	165.9 KB 
ID:	183969Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Left Cam Pulley.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	183970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Right Cam Pulley.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	164.9 KB 
ID:	183971Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crank Pulley.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	161.8 KB 
ID:	183972Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reflief in Cam Cover.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	149.5 KB 
ID:	183973

Bike
    GL1800
    My Gallery

Re: ST1100 - Gift Part 4

One more easy low cost item to replace. The overflow line going from the radiator to the overflow/reservoir bottle. Any cracks in that old line, and there will be cracks, prevents the drawing of fluid back into the radiator. It does not, however, prevent the pushing out of liquid from heat expansion. The end symptom of this condition is an over full overflow/reservoir bottle puking fluid out under the bike.
    "I have just returned from visiting the Marines at the front, and there is not a finer fighting organization in the world" Douglas MaCarthur, US Army

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2002 YZF R1
    2018 Miles

My Gallery

Re: ST1100 - Gift Part 4

Yes thats on the list, where it exits the neck of the radiator to the hose which runs down to the relief tank it had blown up to two times its normal size and was fully blocked with oxide crude i had to use a drill to clear the tube in the radiator neck and cut the hose off (its trash), suspect it was like that for a long time which given the difficulty of checking at the radiator could lead someone to believe all was well based on the level in the overflow but have a significant low fluid level issue brewing...

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2002 YZF R1
    2018 Miles

My Gallery

ST1100 - Gift Part 5

Backstory – Uncle gave up riding gifted me a 96 ST1100 with 14K Miles but standing still since 2009 (ABS warning Code 1 / Code 1)
    The cam belt arrived and was installed, I timed the cams and crank up and mark them with white dots before and after the lobes for the cam and then the lobe for the crank buttoned up the tensioner and removed and then transferred (stacked them one of top of the other and gave them a stretch) the marking to the Gates belt and count the number of lobes between crank and cam markings on the original and the to ensure they matched (repeat twice for confidence), installed and retimed and checked then released the tensioner, checked again, rotated a half dozen times and rechecked (just the marking on the cam and crank disregarding the paint marks on the cam belt). This represents hopefully the most invasive step over and the start of the long haul back out of the machine. The cam chest cover and cam covers are back in place and the clutch cover and exhaust have been re secured.
    The old cam belt looked like new, I could not find anything wrong with it through visual inspection, the only comment I will drop on this topic is that when you allow it to settle into a natural shape it does seem to have a “memory” for a specific shape probably where the engine came to rest in 2009 bent at specific locations around the crack drive and cam drive sprockets. Would this have become an issue for me at some point in the future, no idea but I feel better having changed it out.
    The radiator is being re assembled installing the bung, temp sensor and re attaching the painted fan shroud and fan, looks like new with a high gloss enamel black. There is still some work ahead with hoses being replaced and then the last major item to tackle which is cleaning and re building the carbs before installing. Two months and 2 weeks to go for cold kiwi and probably behind on a time and financial stand point (re registration costs / new tires / ABS Sensor??).

Item Spend
    Battery $ 89.05
    Air Filter $ 47.61
    Cam Belt $ 74.33
    Radiator Cap $ 15.70
    Thermostat $ 16.33
    $ 243.02

Name:	Old Cam Belt with Memory.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	184080Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dremal Cut Out.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	162.4 KB 
ID:	184081Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cam and Crank (1).jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	184082Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cam and Crank (2).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	157.1 KB 
ID:	184083Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cam and Crank (3).jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	161.2 KB 
ID:	184084
    Last edited by Dean-ST100-NZ; 06-11-2017 at 04:16 AM.

Bike
    '04 ST1300, BLUE
    My Gallery

Re: ST1100 - Gift Part 5

Congrats on the completed work!

Those belts look the same at 110,000 miles (I've done 2 with over 100,000); but, peace of mind goes a *long* way on a bike that sat that long.

Good luck with the rest of the job!
    Mark

P.S.
    Son, Daughter-in-law, and grand-daughter live in Dunedin, NZ.

If you love your bike, let it go.
    If it comes back, you high sided.....

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2002 YZF R1
    2018 Miles

My Gallery

Re: ST1100 - Gift Part 5

Yes I hope it pans out (get that one), Dunedin is great, lot of history and great architecture, student population (which can be both positive and sometimes an issue) and better housing and prices compared to Auckland.

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast