Best two up settings for rear shock preload and rebound

So I just SQUEEZED (I don't pull lol) the trigger {YEA!} on a one owner 2004 Blue ST-1300 [pics to come later] and it was delivered early Friday, I plan on taking a girlfriend on a 100 +/- mile shakedown ride tomorrow as I was busy all day Friday and Saturday.

I'm about 200lbs and the pillion occupant is about 130.

Any suggestions!

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Congrats on the new ride. Did it come with an owners manual? I read in mine the section of the adjusting the rear suspension and what I hadn't seen or known about was the rebound damping adjuster screw at the base of the shock. S is for standard and H for hard, and as for the preload, I would think turning it in past the 7 clicks to standard would be required for the extra weight, so I would be a trial and error guy and just set it in and try. I haven't read where there are specific settings based on weight, riding and road conditions so cant help you there. Happy riding!

OP
OP
ApriliaNut
Thanks CD!

Yeah, that's what I was surmising also: mostly trial and error. Just thought someone on the forum had similar specs as me and my GF LOL!!!
No it didn't come with an owners manual but I printed one out off the net.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The ST1300 is sprung for a 150 lb rider. There is no preload setting on the stock shock and spring that is optimal for more than double that weight. The best you can do short of a new spring is to ensure the preload mechanism is working to 100% of designed travel of 10 mm at 36 clicks and use a lot of it, probably all of it for 330 lbs, to control sag. All of it.

The rear shock preload mechanism loses travel and effectiveness over time but the fluid is easily replaced to restore 100% travel and is considered essential maintenance on ST1300s with any miles. There are many posts on this and it's an easy DIY job. The preload wheel turns clockwise to add preload. From the soft setting fully CCW it turns 18 full turns CW to full hard. If the wheel turns CW without resistance the preloader is not working. When it starts encountering resistance it has begun adding preload.

Damping is set by the set screw in the body of the shock. Standard setting is 1 turn in from fully CCW out. On the stock shock I liked settings of more than that - from 1 1/8 turns to 1 3/4 turns. With extra weight above the 150 standard you will need more damping.

Good luck and great riding!

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/content.php?269-ST1300-Pre-load-Fluid-Replacement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAhksxRCIik&t=11s

OP
OP
ApriliaNut
The ST1300 is sprung for a 150 lb rider. There is no preload setting on the stock shock and spring that is optimal for more than double that weight. The best you can do short of a new spring is to ensure the preload mechanism is working to 100% of designed travel of 10 mm at 36 clicks and use a lot of it, probably all of it for 330 lbs, to control sag. All of it.

The rear shock preload mechanism loses travel and effectiveness over time but the fluid is easily replaced to restore 100% travel and is considered essential maintenance on ST1300s with any miles. There are many posts on this and it's an easy DIY job. The preload wheel turns clockwise to add preload. From the soft setting fully CCW it turns 18 full turns CW to full hard. If the wheel turns CW without resistance the preloader is not working. When it starts encountering resistance it has begun adding preload.

Damping is set by the set screw in the body of the shock. Standard setting is 1 turn in from fully CCW out. On the stock shock I liked settings of more than that - from 1 1/8 turns to 1 3/4 turns. With extra weight above the 150 standard you will need more damping.

Good luck and great riding!

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/content.php?269-ST1300-Pre-load-Fluid-Replacement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAhksxRCIik&t=11s
Hey thanks DD...I found that embedded video from YT also. Lots of good stuff on YT for us ST Owners. I'll save the other link re: fluid replacement as that's probably something I'll perform soon.

But now I gotta ride!!!

Top Bottom