Spy/Beret 5000m Alarm and Remote Start

Bike
2010 Honda ST1300
STOC #
Hi all,

The last (never say never) thing I wanted to add was an alarm system because too many times I see youngsters on my bike checking the feel. How rude!

I picked up this from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/KapscoMoto-Motorcycle-Kawasaki-Davidson-Motorcycles/dp/B00395UCYC

I wired it up per instructions I found for a CBR600RR (http://ridecbr.com/forums/topic/diy-spy-5000m-alarmremote-start-install-review-video-and-pic/) but the wiring looked the same after I got the wiring diagram for the ST1300.

Everything works great, except the remote start. I hooked the starter line to the starter relay, (per the article on installing a bluetooth remote start in this forum) and hooked the key-on to the headlight wire off the fuse box.

I can get into the details, but does anyone have any experience with these types of products on the ST1300?

==================================

I read the previous post more closely this time on the bluetooth install and saw I had to tie all the lines from the ignition to the remote start unit. It now works like a charm!

Russ

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
2010 Honda ST1300
STOC #
Hi,

Well I'm back at it. Has anyone installed this alarm on an ST1300? I've got it working except for the engine flameout, but I notice that it looks like it's not powering the bike sufficiently when I remote start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Russ

technotony007

Marvellous !
Bike
2005 Pan Euro ST1300
Hi russ,
just a thought ... the sidestand switch , while in gear may have something to do with it .( if I am reading this correctly!!!!!).

I would be careful , as if you disable this and start the bike in gear..... you will have a runaway steed ......

not a good position to be in...

regards

Tony

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
My vote would be the side stand switch as well, assuming all else is correct. Leave it enabled but put the bike in Neutral when you park it.

I kind of get the alarm part, but other than the novelty, I don't understand the benefit of remote start on a motorcycle. It's not like you can warm/cool the inside or defrost the windshield. Am I missing something?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I haven't heard of too many ST1300s being stolen (although there have been a few), so I haven't seen much of a need for an alarm.

I use a Nelson Rigg half cover to keep "people" off my bike. It also keeps other things "safe" (out of sight, out of mind).

Although, when parking in a motel parking lot, I try to park as close to my room as possible and remove most items (tankbag, GPS, etc) that might disappear overnight! :eek:4:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
SupraSabre said:
I use a Nelson Rigg half cover to keep "people" off my bike. It also keeps other things "safe" (out of sight, out of mind).

Although, when parking in a motel parking lot, I try to park as close to my room as possible and remove most items (tankbag, GPS, etc) that might disappear overnight!
That's how I roll except for a cheap Cycle Gear half cover. Love my Full Nelson so I'm going to get a Half Nelson for travel.

I've been wondering about remote start as well. What I'd like is a keyless start. Maybe a remote start could work similarly. I'd just like to walk out to my ST mount up and hit the starter switch. Someone here did it but it looked like a lot of work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
2010 Honda ST1300
STOC #
Actually I wanted it for the remote start capability. I've got a riser plate on my ST1300 to allow for the Police switch I installed. I run most of my farkle switches off of it including headlamp and running lights. Remote start just made it a little easier. I gave up on the kill switch. When I use remote start I have it tied into the three ignition fuses so when it starts the alarm unit supplies power to those three. However, it looks like it's not supplying the same as the ignition. Might be the unit itself. The bike does turn over and runs fine.

Bike
2005 st1300
Russ, i am not familiar with that remote start unit, but you have to be sure that the unit can handle a 30 amp load through it. The load through the ignition can be somewhere around 30 amps. If the unit is not capable, you will fry it. If it is not capable, you will need to run a 30 amp relay to the 3 ignition circuits and trigger it with the remote start unit. If you can post a schematic for the remote start/alarm unit, that may help

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Honda ST1300
STOC #
Here's a link to the image of the schematic. As I mentioned I have everything wired up except the pink and grey for the immobilizer. I split the brown wire coming from the alarm and tied it to the three lines coming from the ignition switch. I believe the brown wire provides power to the bike for the remote start as well as monitors if power is applied by the key when the alarm is armed.

https://cdn.instructables.com/F46/WG5I/GJQE90QO/F46WG5IGJQE90QO.MEDIUM.jpg

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
The ChatterBox brand of theft alarm module is what caused my accident . It was wired to the ignition system to supposedly cut off the engine when somebody steals it . Well on my ST1300 , I rode it from Grand Rapids , Mich . to Bettendorf , Iowa and it suddenly turned off the bike at I-80 / Interstate speed , I tried to get off the Hwy so I wouldn't get hit in the rear too , got into some deep rumble strips which pitched me sideways parallel to the road as I was traveling at an angle off the pavement ; laid it over on it's right side plastic and gave me concussion , and popped the collar bone out of my right shoulder joint , which cost me 3 operations to fix it - sort of. Not to mention not riding for a year total because of 2 of 3 failed operations.
My advice to anyone putting on a theft alarm module of any kind that can cut off your ignition - DON'T DO IT , at least the 2 wires that do that function.

I replaced the actually chinese-made , Chatterbox unit , with very few miles before it failed , with a $40 Bulldog brand car alarm , simpler sensor unit that does not involve the ignition system.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
2010 Honda ST1300
STOC #
I'm sorry to hear about that. I hope you and your ST1300 are ok. I abandoned the kill switch idea after hearing similar stories. Really I just want the remote start to work. It does as wired, but I think I need to re-wire it with relays because I don't think the alarm is providing sufficient amps as the ignition does. This might end up with me pulling it out all together.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Actually I wanted it for the remote start capability... Remote start just made it a little easier.
How so? Is it a matter of reaching the key? I've got a Helibar riser on my ST and it's a slight inconvenience on its own.

Bike
2005 st1300
You say it is working now so I take it you put the blue wire from the module to the yellow/red wire on the starter solenoid and this fixed your remote start issue? Looking at the schematic and making assumptions on the capability of the alarm unit, I would not run the ignition straight off the modules brown wire. I would have it trigger a 30 amp relay which has the 3 ignition circuits run off of that. If im understanding correctly, the unit will shut off after 10 minutes, so im kind of in the same mindset as Paul.... is it really worth the effort to just remote start the bike. I understand wanting to get rid of the key,... thats why I did a keyless ignition on my bike, but if you still have to put the key in to ride....???

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Honda ST1300
STOC #
Ok I have the Beret 5000m, which is different from the Spy. I remote started it and let it run for half an hour. No time-out. So my goal is to not to have to use the key to start and ride. It has the motion alarm, and the siren so I'm ok with that. I need the three relay setup as I've seen on another posting here. My goal now is the alarm and the remote start.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Honda ST1300
STOC #
Ok so just following up on this thread in case anyone wants to do the same. Using the alarm I have the motion alarm and the keyless remote start running. There was no way I could wire it so if someone turned the bike on (got the key off my F'in neck -- for you Riddick fans) but what's the chance of that. So no fumbling around in the front with the massive keychain I have so I'm done... almost.

My next thing is to fix up the Sony Radio install in the locking compartment on the left so it looks more professional without the heat padding all around it.

Russ

====

Ok, I couldn't let it rest. I wanted the alarm to go off when the key was turned and the alarm armed. I figured it out using an additional relay and a diode. So now, with no key, remote start will start the bike. With the key in and turned, it disables the remote start of the alarm and allows the bike to start normally. If the alarm is armed when the key is inserted, the alarm will go off. If the key is inserted while in remote start mode it kills the remote start and powers the bike from the key. The remote start ONLY works if the bike is in neutral or the clutch is help while in gear. Exactly what I wanted!

I haven't been able to find a lot of info around the net that described this specifically for the ST1300 so if anyone wants the schematic just send me a PM.

Russ

Last edited:
Top Bottom