Intermittent engine miss at 5k-6k rpm's when hard kn the throttle

Intermittent engine miss at 5k-6k rpm's when hard on the throttle

So fairly new bike to me. 15.7k miles in total. I found when out for a ride the other day with my buddies, when we were goofing off up to 100mph, my bike was studdering accelerating when running through 5-6k rpms and up. Seemed to me that it was starved for fuel feeling. First thing that comes to mind for me is plugs, fuel filter, air filter. Neither of the 3 have been changed since new. I took a look in the owners manual for the plug recommendations, then did a search online. I was surprised to see the differences in plugs used. Seemed like most people did not run what Honda has in the book (CR7EH-9). Most were running the cooler plug, or even a cooler iridium plug. I even read that NGK recommended the 9 iridium plug. So im not sure what to think on the plugs now.

So whats the current consensus on the plugs? Stock air filter or K&N?

Thanks

Bike
2006 ST1300
Plugs SHOULD be just fine, at that mileage, sounds more like fuel starvation. I'd run a few tanks with Seafoam in them, ( instructions on lablel), and then try again.

Air filter: You'll hear a LOT of opinions on this, but the stock air filter, or a HiFlo filter seems to be the safest bet. Make sure to check the air filter area for rodent activity...a nest in there could affect your acceleration.

Per a hint from Mellow a few years ago, Rock Auto seems to be the cheapest/best/fastest place to get new NGK plugs.

Bike
2010 ST1300
You can search for the K&N threads here - they are like oil threads, but not so entertaining. You might also search for iridium plug threads.

However, the stock setup has proven to be bulletproof. There does not seem to me to be a need to go exploring for improvements.

Bike
2004 ST1300
Agree with the couple suggestions above. Plugs should still be ok, but no harm in replacement. Air filter may look like mine did when I got it, although it ran perfect and made no difference in the way it ran afterwards. Fuel filter of a pinched line from upper to lower tank may be a possibility.
Any flashing FI light/code?? The knock sensor(s) have something of a fail history and/or ECU issue that seems to activate only above 4K rpm.
I have no use for a K & N oiled type foam filter in anything. image.jpg

OP
OP
Agree with the couple suggestions above. Plugs should still be ok, but no harm in replacement. Air filter may look like mine did when I got it, although it ran perfect and made no difference in the way it ran afterwards. Fuel filter of a pinched line from upper to lower tank may be a possibility.
Any flashing FI light/code?? The knock sensor(s) have something of a fail history and/or ECU issue that seems to activate only above 4K rpm.
I have no use for a K & N oiled type foam filter in anything. image.jpg
no codes or flashing lights. Runs good otherwise. Just the intermittent stumble when hard on the throttle.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Try running the SeaFoam through the fuel system and if that don't work you may need to replace the fuel pump.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
How long was it sitting before you purchased it? I agree, the plugs should be fine at that mileage, and providing the air filter is clean, OEM filters seem to run best.
If anyone had the tank lifted for any kind of inspection or service, I would check for pinched fuel or vacuum lines. You may also want to replace the vacuum lines and clean out the 5-way tee and do a TB sync.

Top Bottom