Anyone with ST sidecar experience?

STOC #
Haven't been here for quite a while but I still have my 05 ST1300.
Approaching a crossroads - 70th birthday this year.
My main concern with the ST is the weight. I have considered most of the options over the past year or two.
My bike is in mint condition so I am reluctant to let it go for the market price.
There is a video on YT of an ST with a really sharp sidecar (possibly a Hannigan).
Just wondered if anyone has any personal or second hand experience of what is involved with making the conversion.
I suspect it may not be worth the effort but I am intrigued by the possibility - it would certainly be a little different.

All thoughts/comments welcome.

STOC #
Roy,
I'm 69yo and have a ST1100 with an EZS sidecar conversion I thoroughly enjoy; however I still have three two wheeled motorcycles too. I started riding sidecars in the early 90s when my youngest was still small and would fall asleep on the back, now the Mrs. prefers to ride in the sidecar, she can't climb up to the passenger perch anymore. A word of advice converting would probably be much more costly and more difficult than finding a sidecar outfit already put together that appeals to you.

Ed

MyEZSTopOn .jpg

OP
OP
STmc
STOC #
Thanks for the feedback Ed.
I suspect you are right about the economics, probably similar to restoring an old bike or car - usually cheaper to find one completed.
I had a quick look at what is available but it seems to be mostly trikes. My friend wants us to both get a Ural but they are not cheap and of course dated design but look to be a lot of fun.
I'm guessing your three bikes are lighter than the ST - my other option is just switch to a different two wheeler and I have spent a lot of time researching the various candidates.

STOC #
Urals have severe limitations but I gather can be quite fun. I have no firsthand experience with them. Remember sidecar driving bears no resemblance to motorcycle riding, save being in the breeze and the controls are in the same place. A Ural dealer is the ideal place to get a feel for it. USCA United Sidecar Assoc. website has a for sale section and ADV Rider Hacks section Ebay CList thread features rigs for sale throughout the US and Canada. My three other two wheeled bikes, yes a bit lighter, 670lbs, 510lbs and 490lbs. I'm cursed with vertical challenge so it's not so much the weight but the height of most modern bikes.

Ed

OP
OP
STmc
STOC #
Wow - that's quite a story (well both of them actually). You're a braver man than me - I would never consider doing the conversion myself.
Main thing is that you both came through it - it sounds like a particularly nasty crash - I guess a three wheeler incident is more complicated than a two wheeler.

Bike
2010 ST1300
There is a big sidecar rally in Corning, NY July 27 thru 29 (or 30). Check this out LINKY. A friend is going and I might tag along to see what I can learn.

St1300SCar.jpg
Wow, that looks great!! What would a car and install cost!? More pics???

ToddC
Thnx eh!...it was a bit tricky but we got it. I did it at where I work so I have no idea on costs and I don't know if I can mention the shop name(forum rules?). I work at a Trike shop in central Alberta Canada.Final7_rs.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom