McCruise CC

pumper316

SaTx Speed Demon!
Bike
'04 ST1300A
My '04 ST1300A came with with a McCruise unit pre-installed. I am wondering how can I go about getting some literature/installation manual for this product since they are not available on their website?

Thanks.

Bike
2008 ST1300
My '04 ST1300A came with with a McCruise unit pre-installed. I am wondering how can I go about getting some literature/installation manual for this product since they are not available on their website?

Thanks.
I purchased a MC Cruise system several years ago and installed it myself. I have all of the documentation scanned and stored electronically.

If you provide me an email address I'll be happy to send you all the info on the system that I have.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The documentation you need depends on your model as there are several 'revisions'. Some go into diagnostic mode with the holding of switches, some require a magnet placed near the set/resume switches. The color of the 'brain' box is the easiest way to figure out your model. As was said, I've got three of them and I've always found the folks at McCruise very responsive. I've also got a lot of documentation on their stuff that I'll be glad to email you also. Operationally, it works like most car cruise controls. If it's working, there's not much to do to it except use it. ;-)

Bike
2008 ST1300
Thanks Uncle Phil. I just sent the original poster an email of the scanned documents I had saved. I hope they are the correct ones. I didn't know there were several revisions to the systems.

The system I have was purchased back in 2011 and it is the type where you hold down a sequence of buttons while turning on the key to go into diagnostic mode.

You're correct, if it works, it works and you just use it.

On a side note, as much as I'm delighted to have it installed on my ST13, one disappointment I have is that it seems very slow to initially engage or use the resume function. A few years back some folks were talking about sending the 'brain box' back to the people In a Land Down Under to have them reprogram, update, re-flash, etc. This was supposedly to cure the slow engagement issue. Do you know anything about that or have experienced this with your bike's?

Last edited:
OP
OP
pumper316

pumper316

SaTx Speed Demon!
Bike
'04 ST1300A
Thanks Uncle Phil. I just sent the original poster an email of the scanned documents I had saved. I hope they are the correct ones. I didn't know their were several revisions to the systems.

The system I have was purchased back in 2011 and it is the type where you hold down a sequence of buttons while turning on the key to go into diagnostic mode.

You're correct, if it works, it works and you just use it.

On a side note, as much as I'm delighted to have it installed on my ST13, one disappointment I have is that it seems very slow to initially engage or use the resume function. A few years back some folks were talking about sending the 'brain box' back to the people In a Land Down Under to have them reprogram, update, re-flash, etc. This was supposedly to cure the slow engagement issue. Do you know anything about that or have experienced this with your bike's?
This is exactly the issue I wanted to address and why I wanted to see if there was any information available in the installation/troubleshooting manual.

Bike
2008 ST1300
This is exactly the issue I wanted to address and why I wanted to see if there was any information available in the installation/troubleshooting manual.
The diagnostic and troubleshooting that I have done so far is to perform the initial engagement and cable adjustment test. You should be able to find this test in the manuals I sent to you.

The other remedy I've tried is to adjust the sensitivity settings, also described in the manuals.

It has helped somewhat but the system overall is not as 'car like' responsive as I had hoped when I purchased it. Don't get me wrong, I love having it for long trips and it's far and away better than a simple throttle lock.

OP
OP
pumper316

pumper316

SaTx Speed Demon!
Bike
'04 ST1300A
The diagnostic and troubleshooting that I have done so far is to perform the initial engagement and cable adjustment test. You should be able to find this test in the manuals I sent to you.

The other remedy I've tried is to adjust the sensitivity settings, also described in the manuals.

It has helped somewhat but the system overall is not as 'car like' responsive as I had hoped when I purchased it. Don't get me wrong, I love having it for long trips and it's far and away better than a simple throttle lock.
Thank you for the tips. I will do these checks this weekend. I guess I am too spoiled with the instant response I get from the Audiovox CC unit I have on my '98 Valkyrie.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've never really paid too much attention to it, I just know sometimes it takes a while for it to 'pick up'. The new MCCruise units don't have the vacuum canister any more. I don't know if that can be a 'retrofit' or not. I don't think adjusting the throttle pull would do anything for the 'pick up/engage', but I could be wrong.

Hi, You have too much freeplay in your carburettor cable - that is why the dleay occurs before it picks up. If you use diagnostic mode and set up the carb cable freeplay such that it takes 8-12 presses fo the SET key to justs tart to ligt the egine off idle (when warm) then the maths in teh software will apply exactly the right amount of throttel at any speed - AND it will perform better when engaged as well because it won't be chasing freeplay in the system before the bike responds to speed changes.

Thank you for the tips. I will do these checks this weekend. I guess I am too spoiled with the instant response I get from the Audiovox CC unit I have on my '98 Valkyrie.
This problem too is associated with the carburettor cable freeplay. Get it right and you will be amazed how good it is. See following post for details.

Please contact us by email (sales@mccruise.com) and I will call you to run a quick diagnostic check. unfortuantley installers eiter don't understand or don't pay enough attemtion to the carb cable freeplay adjsutemtn during isntallation - despite our emphasising this point. It is quickly and easily checked over the phone. Adjsuting it is a bit more tricky though on a Valkyrie. On an ST1300 it is also buried!

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Awesome!! Don't think I've ever seen a company reach out to help before the customer contacted them. Great proactive service!!

OP
OP
pumper316

pumper316

SaTx Speed Demon!
Bike
'04 ST1300A
Tony called me up this Wednesday and we went over the CC setup on my bike. Did the basic diagnostics and everything looked good. Started the bike with the CC still in diagnostic mode and after pressing the SET button for an eternity (85 presses), was told that this is a vacuum issue. Tony had already emailed me all the setup manuals earlier, but he also emailed me a couple of additional manuals for troubleshooting and fixing issues with the servo.

This morning, I took the airbox off and installed new vacuum lines to the TB as well as to the servo. Checked the stop valve and it was working fine, opened up the servo and cleaned out the solenoids. Put everything back together and started the bike with the CC in diagnostic mode. BAMMM!! RPM's started going up when I pressed the SET button on the 11th try. Will take the bike out for a test ride in the next few days and make sure that everything is working fine.

A BIG BIG shoutout to Tony and McCruise for top notch customer service! If ya'll have any issues whatsoever with your McCruise CC units, I would definitely recommend contacting McCruise right away.

OP
OP
pumper316

pumper316

SaTx Speed Demon!
Bike
'04 ST1300A
Took the bike out for a ride late this evening. Happy to report that the CC works like a champ. Instantaneous engagement and no drop in speed at all. I'm a happy camper!

Top Bottom