Battery Tender Amperage?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Mr Spiderman, could you please elaborate on how to construct a jump starting connection?

I made a fused 10 ga (I think) pigtail just like the Deltran one, and a matching SAE piece with a couple lugs on the end for jumping. Have never used it though.
For details, look here.
Not using SAE connection but SBS powerpole. Similar to SB just longer for my fingers to grab. Not 27 8x10 color glossy photos with descriptions and no white arrows, but you'll get the ideal.

Wire is the heavy duty type used for car stereo, fine strand copper with flexible jacket, carries amperage aplenty for short periods. Helps to upgrade clamps as explained in the post.

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100
For me, i start with the proper battery, new and fully charged. I have battery tenders on all my bike batteries and any other surplus batteries in the shop, even a 6 volt tender on my xt500d. Even though my bikes are ridden on a regular basis, I leave a tender connected when not in use. They really extend the life of a battery. I had a battery in a kz1000 that was nearly 10 years old and going strong when i sold it. They use sophisticated algorithms to keep the battery happy, and the battery always is ready to go. As the name implies, they are intended to keep a battery at peak capacity, not to charge deeply discharged batteries on a regular basis, although they will do that too, given enough time. They are reverse polarity protected, use a polarized plug, and won't start charging unless they sense at least a couple of volts. Just about fool proof. Chunk.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
For those of you who store your bikes in a location that has no power. For about $17 you can get a 1.8 watt Solar power battery maintainer from Home Depot or Harbor Freight. My Suburban may sit idle for one or two months at a time so I have one of these sitting on the dash and plugged into the cigarette light outlet to keep the battery topped off. I also have one on my neglected DRZ400 sitting in the back yard. And one on the CJ7. It will not charge a dead battery but it will keep a fully charged battery from self discharging. I leave it plugged in all the time for at least the last 25+ years or so.....

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sunforce-1-8-Solar-Battery-Maintainer-50012/202218716?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-VF-PLA-D27E-Electrical|&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1LnpnNyo1QIVRJJ-Ch1IDg1pEAQYAiABEgLLePD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

T_C thanks for the construction link.

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
I wired direct to battery with 6 ga. Connector is mounted to modified horn bracket courtesy wimpy OEM horn I swapped. IMG_2967.jpg 6 ga jumper cables under the rear seat.

Top Bottom