Sena Users...

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Sena also has a new "20S Evo" almost available. $299 pre-order at Revzilla (same as 20S list price?).

https://www.sena.com/product/20s-evo/
"The 20S EVO is the next generation of the original 20S, with an updated design and improved intercom functionality and stability to keep up with your ride. The 20S EVO was designed with a fixed type, shark fin antenna as opposed to its predecessor with the flip up antenna. This sleek new antenna design improves upon intercom stability and even secures the intercom distance while updates to the hardware allow for an even more robust general performance updates." (I've heard of people breaking the flip up antenna, so this may be a good choice.)

The 30K adds "adaptive mesh networking" which is supposed to make connections more seamless when a riding buddy goes out of range. https://www.sena.com/product/30k/ It has a flip up antenna to break.

I've no idea whether the newer models will handle talking to older Sena models, let alone competitor units.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
FYI— The current version of Sena Device Manager is 3.5 (for Mac- PC too?) and current firmware for 20S (and other Senas?) is 1.7.5.

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
I've been using a set of Scala G4's for 5 years or so. Sound quality is good, not nearly earbud quality, but very good. They hold a charge all day and allow for radio and pandora streaming. The PROBLEM is, the buttons are under a 'rubber' cover that has disintegrated over the years. At this point 2 of four units no longer work due to (I assume) their no longer being weatherproof.

So.. ready to make the change to Sena I think, question is... where do I get the best deal on a set of 2 20's?

Thanks in advance.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
BUT (and there's always one) there was one problem. My GW buddy and I got a 20S dual pack and they're paired. So we paired my ST buddy's Sena and it seems it's only pair with my GW buddy.

At the end of the day we split up. My GW buddy went one way and we went another. As soon as GW was out of range ST and I couldn't communicate! WTW??

So we conference just fine but unless I'm missing something it seems will have to pair and re-pair depending on who's riding with who. Is that the case or can we have actual 'mesh' communications?
This is where watching U-Tube is handy. Each 20 has to be paired to each of the other 20's if riders will come and go. You were conferencing/networking through the GW Sena 20. Once he left your network was gone. There are some good videos from Sena on how to set up these pairings.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
T_C said:
MotorcycleDave, gave me a great price on a dual pack a few years back.
+1 Dave gave me a great price (best I found after a lot of searching) on a dual pack of 20Ss a couple of months ago and a single 20S about a week ago. motorcyledave.com should do it.

Each 20 has to be paired to each of the other 20's if riders will come and go. You were conferencing/networking through the GW Sena 20. Once he left your network was gone.
Thank you for that! I was Reading TFM or trying to make sense of it but no joy. Then I looked at the Sena app on my iPhone and saw a list of pairings with only one entry and thought about pairing all to all. But I couldn't divine that from TFM. It mentioned daisy chain and broken links. ARRRrrrgh! I knew that the GW was the hub but didn't know that we could be hubless. Or all hubs. Or groups? I'll YT it ASAP.

And now our three 20Ss are at three different firmware versions so I should get that sorted too.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Are the new 20's waterproof or do you have to take it off your helmet when the rain starts?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Sena 10s & 20s are waterproof.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Are the new 20's waterproof or do you have to take it off your helmet when the rain starts?
Sena 10s & 20s are waterproof.
Nope! Read your manual. Surprise!!
The original 10s were listed as rainproof. Now they are all listed as to be removed.

I can say I have left both a 20s and my 10s' on the helmet more then once in the rain.
But Sena is disclaiming liability.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Nope! Read your manual. Surprise!!
The original 10s were listed as rainproof. Now they are all listed as to be removed.

I can say I have left both a 20s and my 10s' on the helmet more then once in the rain.
But Sena is disclaiming liability.
Thanks T_C, will have to read that closer.

FWIW, I've ridden many miles in some very heavy rain with my SMH10 with no problems.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
No the 20s isn't, although I have ridden through rain, sleet and snow (thanks to ToddC) and the only time I saw a glitch was when it was soaked, and then the voice command was acting up, to the point of not working. A few miles of sun and warm and it dried enough to function again and still is working great.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Is it not rather stupid that such a device was not designed to be waterproof? Especially at what they charge for them??

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
This is where watching U-Tube is handy. Each 20 has to be paired to each of the other 20's if riders will come and go. You were conferencing/networking through the GW Sena 20. Once he left your network was gone. There are some good videos from Sena on how to set up these pairings.
One of the nice things about the Cardo is that you can roll up on any other Cardo and connect in, and water proof.

Top Bottom