Odd Noise

Bike
95' ST1100
So, bike had been running a little warm, to me and I decided to take a look at the coolant overflow. Bottle was nasty but coolant in the radiator was still great color. took off the overflow hose and found setiment in the line. Ordered new line and bottle and replaced. Took the bottle to the correct level and primed the hose. put on new radiator cap as well. Went for a ride after having been sitting about a month. After putting back in the garage, I noticed a 1 to 2 second "far off train horn" or "tuning fork" noise from the bike. It would repeat about evey 30 to minute or so and has eventually stopped. I dont believe I failed to do any part of my maintenance improperly.

Has anyone ever heard that noise and if so, have you encountered any real problems from it?

Thanks,

Wade

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Sounds like the pressure relief valve in the gas cap. Some have compared it to a mouse farting. Take the bike for a ride, return and then wait. After you hear the noise for the first time, remove the gas cap. If the noise stops, it was the pressure relief valve making the noise, if not, you may have mice in the area.

Bike
2010 ST1300
LOL. This is a great example of wishful thinking. With the possible exception of Tom Brown and a few biological/biomedical researchers, I really doubt that many of us have heard a mouse fart (kids hanging out in Disney World/Land excepted). Loosening the gas cap should tell you immediately - you will hear escaping gas as soon as the seal is broken. Don't forget that Honda recommends that the coolant be changed every two years.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
The ST1100 fuel tank cap vents both ways, air pressure and vacuum. Your ST is crying about being parked instead of being ridden. :)

OP
OP
Bike
95' ST1100
Thanks for all the replies. Went out last night and filled up. Holy cow! I hardly ever put 7 Gal in the tank (usually 6.5 gal). Continued out for about an hour. Anyway, I did not hear the noise when bringing back this time.

Drained and filled last summer as I didn't know how long the PO had let it go between changes. Should be good till the spring, based on the recommendation.

Rides are a little cooler now. Anybody use heat reflective tape on the underside of their plastics? Looks like PO did so. If anyone did, what were your results? Dont know if I should let it be or remove it.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Rides are a little cooler now. Anybody use heat reflective tape on the underside of their plastics? Looks like PO did so. If anyone did, what were your results? Dont know if I should let it be or remove it.
Leave it on for a bit and see how warm the bike gets when the air temp heats up. It might be doing nothing, but I doubt it will do any harm if you leave it intact.

OP
OP
Bike
95' ST1100
I might see if there is any more I can add as the most heat seems to be comming from the seams. Thanks for the response.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks for all the replies. Went out last night and filled up. Holy cow! I hardly ever put 7 Gal in the tank (usually 6.5 gal). Continued out for about an hour. Anyway, I did not hear the noise when bringing back this time.
OK, So it must have been a mouse. Put a trap out and see if you can get that little bugger. You don't want any mice chewing on any wires on your bike.

Top Bottom