DIY windscreen 1100

Bike
99 ST 1100 ABS/TCS
Just wanted to show off my extention of the oem windshield.
Tried to make it like a mra or laminar lip type.
I made it of 5mm plexiglass. Put some pieces of wood on the old windshield to form a gap.
Heated the plexiglass to 350f/175c in the oven for eight minutes and held it against the wood.
Fixed it with bolts on the old windscreen with some drillouts of oak for spacers.

The result was very satisfying. Much less buffeting and wind noise.
Cost me next to nothing to make and looks good enough to me

Attachments

OP
OP
Bike
99 ST 1100 ABS/TCS
Thank you. I can still look over it. I'm going to make one more two inches higher next time.

OP
OP
Bike
99 ST 1100 ABS/TCS
I used a hacksaw. Sanded of the edges afterwards and heat polished them with a heat gun.

OP
OP
Bike
99 ST 1100 ABS/TCS
Electric. If was covered in protective film, so no taping. Removed it before heating.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Uncle Phil, if you are going to cut plexi, you can do it on a table saw with a high tooth count blade (I recently did some straight cuts w/ an 80 tooth, carbide blade - very slow feed). Curved cuts can be done by hand with either a coping saw (slow and painful) or a power jig saw. Go lots of teeth, cut slowly and let the blade cool. If you get melting of the swarf, its time to rest for a bit. I put a double layer of electrical tape on the jigsaw shoe. A belt sander will smooth the edge, again, not too fast and keep the heat buildup down.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Electric. If was covered in protective film, so no taping. Removed it before heating.
Thanks. I've got a long put off project to put an electric windshield on my ST1100s and I'll need to cut a windshield to make it work.

SMSW - Thanks for your tips also. My problem is when I have the time to start the project, I go riding instead ... :D

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
A fine tooth bandsaw works very well. BTDT. I've also used my Dremell with the saw blade attachment. Sand with the Dremell to clean up some, then hand file followed with sandpaper. Craig at Clearview said to finish with solvent to melt/seal the edges but I never have. My Clearview is from 1994 and I've cut it down three times and even put in the cateyes using the template Craig sent me. Good folks at Clearview. They've been a WeSTOC supporter in the past. FWIW

John

Bike
2010 ST1300
Craig at Clearview said to finish with solvent to melt/seal the edges but I never have.
I never have either. I'm no expert, but I have cut and sanded plexi several times. I'd shy away from solvent - if you spill it on the plexi, you damage the clean finish. Yes, I know, don't spill the stuff, but things happen. I prefer sanding lightly with successively finer grits (belt sander upside down on the bench, using a light touch, holding the plexi). The heat gun sounds good too.

OP
OP
Bike
99 ST 1100 ABS/TCS
I watched this video on utube, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QhAXbA2lmnE. Hadn't seen that before.

Tried to make a burr with a knife and then breaking it, but It wouldn't break, so went for the jigsaw with a fine thoot blade.
used an angle grinder blade as a guide for marking the round corners, (but still cutting with the jigsaw). Was the first circular thing Withing hands reach.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Well done! I made a laminar lip more similar to the commercial units, secured with industrial grade Velcro, which has worked well for a few years now. I decided it was likely not necessary, and removed it once, only to put it back on VERY quickly....they DO work!

Top Bottom