Ohio Route 536, My new favorite Ohio road.

Bike
2005 BMW RT
I have ridden all roads in Ohio that were said to be great motorcycle roads and have enjoyed them all. A Harley friend of mine gave me a list of roads from the Harley site. We went on a ride yesterday and I thought why not try "Ohio's version of the Tail of the Dragon". We rode it south from Route 78 to Hannibal. It's not the Tail of the Dragon, it's better. It is one nicely banked curve after another with very short sections in between. It is very rural with only a few homes along the way. It is a fantastic road and I think it should be on America's top ten before Route 11. My only problem is the round trip was 260 miles, but what a road. Why haven't I heard about it before. Ride it and tell me what you think. I think it's the best in Ohio.

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
I love this road! I discovered it at least 5 years back and I try to incorporate it at least once into my OHSTOC trip each year. I don't know about how it ranks with America's top 10 roads but I always have a grin on my face while leaning over in the many corners. How is the pavement surface? I seem to recall some parts were needing a little maintenance...and occasionally I've had to navigate around long grass strewn across parts of the road when the grass cutting crew is at work.

As a bonus, if you cross the Ohio River you can enjoy a buffet lunch in New Martinsville before heading north to ride it again:)

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
There are a LOT of roads like this in the Ohio triangle with I-76 running along the North edge, I-77 on the west, and the Ohio River slanting from 76 south east. Ohio 555 was resurfaced last year or the year before - nice new blacktop. The heavy truck traffic due to gas well drilling has destroyed some of the old roads and there has been a lot of rebuilding of the roads. This area is a great place to explore, as I'm sure Ron knows. Shhhhhhh, once this gets out, the area will become as popular as TotD and we will putter along at 25 mph behind a line of bikes and cars.

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
Once you run south to New Martinsville. Take rt 7 south to Sardis and run north on Rt 255 to the end then Rt 800 south. Another good one.

Bike
2020 Tracer 900GT
STOC #
I have ridden all roads in Ohio that were said to be great motorcycle roads and have enjoyed them all. A Harley friend of mine gave me a list of roads from the Harley site. We went on a ride yesterday and I thought why not try "Ohio's version of the Tail of the Dragon". We rode it south from Route 78 to Hannibal. It's not the Tail of the Dragon, it's better. It is one nicely banked curve after another with very short sections in between. It is very rural with only a few homes along the way. It is a fantastic road and I think it should be on America's top ten before Route 11. My only problem is the round trip was 260 miles, but what a road. Why haven't I heard about it before. Ride it and tell me what you think. I think it's the best in Ohio.
Ron,

This is one of my all time favourites as well.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I don't believe that I have ridden it. Not sure where Bill is going Saturday for OH-STOC. I think it could be done, but would make for a long day.

saddletramp8511

R.I.P. - 2019/01/01
Rest In Peace
Bike
2014 Gold Wing
LOL It figures Ron would like 536 ....Last time I rode it there was an abundance of gravel on every curve.

saddletramp8511

R.I.P. - 2019/01/01
Rest In Peace
Bike
2014 Gold Wing
I don't believe that I have ridden it. Not sure where Bill is going Saturday for OH-STOC. I think it could be done, but would make for a long day.
Pat I will get with you maybe Wed eve. On Sat ride ....as I have it routed now there won't be a lot of new ground but if anyone enjoys the triple nickel it will be a good ride.BG

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
Pat I will get with you maybe Wed eve. On Sat ride ....as I have it routed now there won't be a lot of new ground but if anyone enjoys the triple nickel it will be a good ride.BG
So,, you gonna be riding my goldwing OHHH,, I MEAN your BIG WHEEL?? Is it done??

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
536 is a good road, as are the roads it runs into and around it. When I rode it last Sept they were doing a bunch of construction on it and either made us wait for one lane traffic, made us follow black top trucks, or detoured us around as was necessary. Will be riding it again on the 23rd of this month with my family doctor who has not ridden that road yet.

Top Bottom